With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 222 of 263 FirstFirst ... 122172212219220221222223224225232 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2625

Thread: Digimon Channel: Pics and Translation Thread

Same species as Piemon? So does that mean he's a variant Ultimate level? Or like a Perfect form of Piemon?

Quote Originally Posted by ukyouluvr View Post
    Same species as Piemon? So does that mean he's a variant Ultimate level? Or like a Perfect form of Piemon?
    Jokermon is a Xros Wars contest Digimon so he has no level, but in my opinion a perfect level Piemon makes more sense but who knows.

Also Wisemon is a perfect level Piemon too.

Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Follow AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by ukyouluvr View Post
    To be exact the Reference Book had the following to say

謎に包まれたデジモンではあるが、調査ではピエモンの同属ではという疑いがある

同属 can be translated in a few ways and my N5 level opinion (which is quite low, I know) is that "same species" is kinda misleading. "Same genus" is one possible translation and in other Reference Book entries the concept of Digimon belonging into genus...es has been thrown around so I'd be more inclined to believe that's a more accurate translation here. So yeah, I'd translate that as "Although this Digimon is shrouded in mystery, it is suspected to belong into the same genus as Piemon."

So in conclusion, nah, Jokerson probably isn't a variant of Piemon, just a different species entirely that's closely related to Piemon. Basically Baby Piemon. A No-Level pre-evo, yeah.

Something similar says the wisemon profile, but nobody seems to be using him as Piemon's preevolution.

I recall the Wisemon profile being translated as family and mentioning being the same type of demon man digimon. Speaking of taxonomy, this probably makes Type the closest thing to a Phylum (I'd go with Field, but dual-assignments are too common), with "Digital Monster" being Kingdom (and "Digital Life" being equivalent to Domain). Though the only Order is of the next 0rder variety… *dodges tomato*

Though, as Digimon really hasn't given an official taxonomic guide (and even taxonomically, everything above species is completely arbitrary), an easy way to convey the notion would be "related species". On a non-taxonomic point, they share a more "dark" nature and some aesthetic connection to the Wizardmons (note the ears in Piedmon and Jokermon; Wizemon is from the magical side). Jokermon's monicker as the "Trump of Passing" seems like a nice nod to Piedmon's Trump Sword attack.

Follow AliceKaninchenbau On Twitter Follow AliceKaninchenbau on DeviantArt Visit AliceKaninchenbau's Youtube Channel
    The sentence in Wisemon's profile that references Piemon goes as follows:

研究者の間では同じ魔人型のピエモンとは同眷属だと囁かれている。

If you wanted a more direct but far less natural sounding English translation of the sentence, rather than the proper translation on Wikimon, it be something like "It's rumored among researchers that it [Wisemon] belongs into the same family as its fellow Demon Man-type Digimon, Piemon". The kanji for "family" used here is 眷属 (kenzoku), and although the latter kanji of these two is the same kanji that can be translated as "genus" that is found in Jokermon's profile (as you can see in my earlier reply), when these two kanji are put together the word that comes out seems to refer to a more... familliar kind of family than a taxonomical one. Like it's still not straight up family-family (家族, kazoku), but it sure as heck doesn't seem to be the taxonomical-family (科, ka). Like I'm not really familiar with this word or what kind of context it's used it but I kinda wanna make a guess the "family" we see here is kinda like a "mafia family" if you get what I mean (and it wouldn't be the first instance of Digimon being related to each other in this way). But again, that's just a guess.

IDK, I thought I might as well look into what Wisemon's profile actually did say while I was at it, 'cause Digimon taxonomy seems simultaneously facinating and absolutely horrifying, in the "I'm gonna get a headache if I think about this too much" kinda way lol. Indeed as Lhikan said, when translating going for terms like "related species" etc might be for the best

I do find it hilarious how Jokermon's Lunatic Slash is powered by the power of hope according to that entry. It does makes Jokermon somewhat less easy to just summarize as plain evil tho, so now we have a nice way to transition from the neutral/good Wizarmon into the "evil clown" stereotype that Piemon is kind of just stuck with. Clearly he's the perfect Perfect of this evolution tree that has been begging to happen since Pendulum 3.0

I'm a Maniac
    I'd say "Clan" would be fitting enough as translation

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-kun View Post
    Something similar says the wisemon profile, but nobody seems to be using him as Piemon's preevolution.
    Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth used it as his preevolution.

He was part of a jogress to Piemon in Digimon Story Super Xros Wars too.

A discussion on Digimon Taxonomy sounds far more interesting than I would have expected.

You'd really have to eschew like all conventional scientific descriptions though because even the most basic definitions like what constitutes a "Species" don't work for asexual data-based lifeforms.

Like Lhikan's thoughts work as a nice basis but you couldn't really directly parallel Domain-Kingdom-Phylum-all the way down to Species based on the information about Digimon we have.

Completely digital
    The language used in the translation reminds me of what was used in Baalmon to refer to him as "another form of a certain Demon Lord". Is the Japanese text used there the same as what was used for Jokermon?