With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Digimon have "Mon" at the end of their names

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt

Why Digimon have "Mon" at the end of their names

Since this kind of topic probably hasn't been brought up before, I may as well do so here.

Realistically, adding "mon" to the end of each species of Digimon was a marketing decision by Bandai or whoever, but I thought of a fictional theory a little while back while writing my fanfic.

Anyways: Digimon are digital lifeforms, and are made up of computer data, right? As we know, every kind of data file has an extension, or file format, for example a Microsoft Word document has ".doc" as its extension, a web page has ".html" and an image has ".jpeg", ".png", ".gif" etc, so perhaps the same thing applies for Digimon.

Perhaps there is a file for every different Digimon (as in entire species, rather than singular Digimon), with that file format being ".mon", for example, the Agumon species filename would be "Agu.mon".

What does everyone think about this? Or do you all have your own ideas or theories?

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

Re: Why Digimon have "Mon" at the end of their names

Not all of the Digimon have the 'Mon' prefix. The 'VR' and 'ADR' groups are the only ones that come straight to mind.

I find it amusing to think of it as a filename. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

Add Faust on Steam Add Faust on DeviantArt

I think that is a good way to think about it. In the past, I've used this very same explanation for the 'mon' part of digimon names with people who think the practice is odd or 'stupid'.

I come from the net

The D-Reaper agents weren't strictly digimon, if I recall correctly. The VR digimon might fall under that category, as well (I don't remember if I got that far in the games).

At any rate, yeah, I've heard this theory before. Makes as much sense as other things in the digital world, I suppose.

I come from the net

Yeah. .Mon is the file name. It's short for .monster. As is leomon is lion.monster. And this is a fun theory.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt

[quote author=Vande link=topic=11654.msg149330#msg149330 date=1236015976]
    Not all of the Digimon have the 'Mon' prefix. The 'VR' and 'ADR' groups are the only ones that come straight to mind.

I find it amusing to think of it as a filename. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
    [/quote]
    Must admit, I didn't know the 'VR' group existed until you mentioned it (I know very little about the Wonderswan games XD; ).

They probably do have the ".mon" filename, but are unique in the sense that the "mon" in their names don't appear, or something like that.

Red shirt

Hey, was it you that posted that on YouTube? I saw this post before. Haha. Personally, I think it is what makes the most logic, something that is not directly explained because it requires you to think. "Dra" always refers to "dragon", "devi" to "devil", "Vam" to "Vampire, "De" to "demon" and so on. All the others have names that are a reference to something, whether it be a noise (Like Koromon) or otherwise. A file type does sound best and makes sense.

Completely digital

I never really though about it, but I suppose you are right.

[quote author=Unknown Neo link=topic=11654.msg149353#msg149353 date=1236027229]
    As is leomon is lion.monster.
    [/quote]

As is airdramon = air-dra-mon = air dragon monster. Lol just thought I would add that.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

that had been one of my theories too =)

the explication for gennai, digignomes and vr is that they don't have the mon because they are different digital beings, or have different files and functions than digimon

I come from the net

But then there are also Digimon, who don't end with Mon. Rhythm for example. Although that could be a name specifically given to her and her species has another name.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast