With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Data Squad Nod to Izzy.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt

The Data Squad Nod to Izzy.

Jeff posted the following at Adventures in Anime. I'm posting it on his autorisation here.

Now I want to preface this with saying the following isn’t what definitely happened in the series, but it’s what I think could have happened, and so I wrote and directed it with this in mind. Also, in no way did I change the premise from what the original creators intended. This was just something I interpreted on my own. So I cast one particular actress in one particular role to satisfy my creative urge, and open up the possibilities of interpretation.

If you noticed in the last episodes of Digimon Data Squad, Mona Marshall played the voice for the computer version of King Drasil. Mona also played the computer genius Izzy in the first two seasons of Digimon, which I directed in addition to this recent fifth season. I never worked on seasons 3 & 4, but I had heard that season 3's plot line involved the first two seasons turning out to be actual TV shows that the new characters watched.

So, in pure Digimon style, I’d like to imagine that since all the characters, digimon, and story lines from Digimon Data Squad were unrelated to any other season of Digimon (for instance, in seasons 1 & 2 Agumon was the same, but in Digimon Data Squad he was a different Agumon, in a different universe), that in “reality,” all of Digimon Data Squad was nothing more than a computer program created by Izzy. Since Izzy’s universe was all I knew of Digimon, and I didn’t work on Tamers, this is my nod to the creators of Digimon.

So the way I imagined it, in the Digimon future, conflict erupts between humans and digimon, and the two worlds declare war on each other. Looking for an end to the fighting, Izzy creates his own computer program, a mini cyber-universe, that runs on its own, to see if one day, humans and digimon in his program can figure out how to live together in peace. He intends to use the results in his own world if he’s successful. But it ends up the same, time and time again, with the two sides destroying each other. So Izzy keeps rebooting the system and starts the experiment over again in a new virtual universe. However this time something fascinating happens; some digimon and humans in the program actually team up to try to stop Izzy from rebooting. Izzy sees this as the break through he’s been waiting for, so he stops his plans to re-boot, and he let’s the program run a little longer to see what they do next in order to live together in peace.

Again, I’m not saying this happened, and I’m not saying this is what the creators planned, but I’m just saying, by having Izzy’s voice coming out of the computerized King Drasil, then perhaps it’s not too far a stretch to imagine the scenario I interpreted. By the way, did you notice that every form of King Drasil was voiced with a computerized sounding effect, hinting that in the end, he might be a computer himself? Next time you watch the series, pay closer attention to the dialogue when they talk about King Drasil. He lives in the Server Tree, which Thomas figures out is a giant computer running the Digital World, etc., etc. The hints of a conspiracy theory are there. I should know; I put them there!

I hope you all enjoyed watching “Digimon Data Squad” as much as I enjoyed making it. –Jeff Nimoy

Thoughts without nasty comments welcome.

Completely digital
    That big blue room with the really bright light

Re: The Data Squad Nod to Izzy.

Jeff Nimoy, you're fucking brilliant!

Although, if I recall correctly, wasn't the whole "Adventure was a TV show" thing in Tamers a dub invention?

Nevertheless, it still doesn't change the fact that I love Nimoy's imagined scenario.
    .:: Quote of the Day ::.

The Arbiter: "Jon's hard drive isn't even that big!"
    Mastur Cheef: "dun wury, i hav...........2 FLOPY DISKZ"

I come from the net CloneWarrior's Avatar

[quote author=Jeff Nimoy]
    By the way, did you notice that every form of King Drasil was voiced with a computerized sounding effect, hinting that in the end, he might be a computer himself? Next time you watch the series, pay closer attention to the dialogue when they talk about King Drasil. He lives in the Server Tree, which Thomas figures out is a giant computer running the Digital World, etc., etc. The hints of a conspiracy theory are there. I should know; I put them there!
    [/quote]

Wait, wasn't Yggdrasil a computer already in the original?

Tohma said the exact same thing about the World Tree in episode 46...

Completely digital

Well, thats a welcome nod to the original series.

I'm a Maniac

I rather like this idea. Koushirou being Yggdrasil.
    It's a real fun idea to play with.
    I HAVE TO BECOME STRRRROONNNGGGERRRRR!!!

"tachidomaru kobushi wo nigiru
    tsurai hi ga atte mo
    nete okite mata waratte
    tanjun de ii darou."

I come from the net

For some odd reason, I can imagine someone actually posting that on Wikipedia as the truth. In 3..2...1...

Ofcourse it only works in the Dub. And wouldn' t it reduce the Characters to mere programs? Some AIs Koushiro just wrote?
    Sure, that is how Digimon started out in Tamers, but would they really have the level of sentience?

And would that mean that Koushiro based Masaru on Taichi, Touma on Yamato and Yoshino on Mimi?

[quote author=Bakuryu Asuka link=topic=10808.msg135130#msg135130 date=1225744215]
    Ofcourse it only works in the Dub. And wouldn' t it reduce the Characters to mere programs? Some AIs Koushiro just wrote?
    Sure, that is how Digimon started out in Tamers, but would they really have the level of sentience?
    [/quote]

err....that's what the vast majority of characters in the first 4 seasons were you know

At least now we have an explanation why the plot often made little to no sense (not Data Squad specifically, Savers/Data Squad)

Was made when Izzy was hungover after that night with Mimi.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net

Well, this is clever. It's not true at all but still a funny and clever idea he had.

Follow DigistarDBZ On Twitter Add DigistarDBZ on Steam Add DigistarDBZ on DeviantArt Add DigistarDBZ on Google+

There's something very St. Elsewhere-ian about that scenario. Data Squad and all of its characters being the product of Koushirou's computer simulations? Tell me I'm not the only one who sees this!

(Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, although it's a tad disturbing to think of the complications of such a scenario. After all, if Reboot taught us anything, is that we could be destroyers of a whole universe of innocent people and we don't even realize it.)

digistar @ -dA- -tumblr-

Red shirt

I give that props!
    It's time to Party! It's Summer time and it's time to get to Posting!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast