With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | Chatroom | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Digimon Manga Archive

Completely digital Lord Puppetmon's Avatar
    I think they are actual Japanese readings. I recognize both 龍 and 光 in Hikaru's name - the first character means "dragon" and can be read as "ryuu" or "tatsu", and the second character means "light" and can be read as "hikari" or "hikaru". So even without me consulting a dictionary, it already seems like Hikaru's name checks out as a proper Japanese reading, and I would assume Masuken and Teru's names do as well.
    "Can you hear the stars' whispers? They're telling me that us being here together is destiny..."

Follow G-SANtos On Twitter
    So, their correct names would be: (Surname-name order)
    -Ryuuji Hikaru: Lng Zhguāng (龍志光)
    -Kana Masuken: Fāng Shēngjin (方昇健)
    -Raku Teru: Lu Huī (駱輝)
    -Kiyoshi: Āměi (阿美)

Though I'm curious with the letter "阿" being near the names of every character in the character sections. To me, its use seems to imply that Lng Zhguāng and Fāng Shēngjin would actually be Lngzh Guāng and Fāngshēng Jin, but from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, two-letter surnames are rare.
    Delta, can you clear up this up for us?
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

So all this time, we've possibly been saying the wrong names for the D-Cyber characters?
    When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!

I'm a Maniac
    question: do we know if the characters are Chinese or Japanese in-story?

Also, comic characters having uncommon names\surnames? UNPOSSIBOL!

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Steam Follow Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtao View Post
    question: do we know if the characters are Chinese or Japanese in-story?

Also, comic characters having uncommon names\surnames? UNPOSSIBOL!
    The books are Chinese, so in the raws they would be Chinese characters.

I'm a Maniac
    Follow delta On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vande View Post
    I never said they were there, nor did i recall if she was in it that earlier. Photoed a page where I think her name is:

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78acd2e6.jpg
    Well, I just missed your word 'partially'...anyway...

Kiyoshi's shortened Chinese name is 阿美. It's a common pratice to put '阿' (Ah) in front of ppl's name shortened to only one charater in Cantonese, but Idk the exact reason for this pratice. Making the name easier to read and indicating that it's a name maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by G-SANtos View Post
    So, their correct names would be: (Surname-name order)
    -Ryuuji Hikaru: Lng Zhguāng (龍志光)
    -Kana Masuken: Fāng Shēngjin (方昇健)
    -Raku Teru: Lu Huī (駱輝)
    -Kiyoshi: Āměi (阿美)

Though I'm curious with the letter "阿" being near the names of every character in the character sections. To me, its use seems to imply that Lng Zhguāng and Fāng Shēngjin would actually be Lngzh Guāng and Fāngshēng Jin, but from what I'm reading in Wikipedia, two-letter surnames are rare.
    Delta, can you clear up this up for us?
    龍 and 方 are common Chinese surname so probably they are the one-letter surnames. Actually someone can call them 志光 and 昇健 as well, but they choose the short form they like. And it's better to use names in scanlator's notes as they are the Cantonese pronunciation. The Cantonese-style colloquial Chinese (which I don't like much) indicates the characters are speaking Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Now I'm curious. Were the Japanese names randomly assigned, or are they the actual Japanese readings of the Chinese characters?
    While the male characters' names seems to be Japanese readings of the Chinese words, I don't think 美 can be read as Kiyoshi in Japanese by any means. At first I guess it would be 清 or 潔 from that Japanese reading.
    Last edited by delta; 09-15-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by delta View Post
    Kiyoshi's shortened Chinese name is 阿美. It's a common pratice to put '阿' (Ah) in front of ppl's name shortened to only one charater in Cantonese, but Idk the exact reason for this pratice. Making the name easier to read and indicating that it's a name maybe.
    So her given name would be Měi (美), assuming the manhua depicts it completely. Hm... Maybe I should consult the other admins on how do deal with this. We already have the Rikkun and Micchan cases.

And it's better to use names in scanlator's notes as they are the Cantonese pronunciation. The Cantonese-style colloquial Chinese (which I don't like much) indicates the characters are speaking Cantonese.
    I was using the Pinyin romanizations given by Google Translate, and the Pinyin used was the same even when I switched dialect. Though, apparently, there's a Cantonese Pinyin, so I don't know what to do now.
    The scanlator notes anglicize the names, removing the diacritics, which in turn removes the tones. So, actually, the romanizations used are inaccurate for pronunciation, as they don't denote the exact entonation.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Now I'm curious. Were the Japanese names randomly assigned, or are they the actual Japanese readings of the Chinese characters?
    While the male characters' names seems to be Japanese readings of the Chinese words, I don't think 美 can be read as Kiyoshi in Japanese by any means. At first I guess it would be 清 or 潔 from that Japanese reading.
    I researched, and the Japanese reading of her name is Yoshi. I guess the scanlator though it sounded too masculine.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

I use MDBG for romanizations of Chinese names.

Though MDBG seems to be focused on Mandarin Chinese, and uses Jyutping romanization for Cantonese, which would render Zhguāng's surnames as Lung4.
    Er... Maybe I'll use Pinyin and search for a Cantonese Pinyin dictionary later.
    Anime... PAAWAA!!!

I'm a Maniac
    Follow delta On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by G-SANtos View Post
    I was using the Pinyin romanizations given by Google Translate, and the Pinyin used was the same even when I switched dialect. Though, apparently, there's a Cantonese Pinyin, so I don't know what to do now.
    The scanlator notes anglicize the names, removing the diacritics, which in turn removes the tones. So, actually, the romanizations used are inaccurate for pronunciation, as they don't denote the exact entonation.
    Er...While the Cantonese Pinyin is there and it shows the pronunciation accurately, we seldom use it to represent the English spelling of Chinese names/place/whatever but use the anglicized pronunciation without any diacritic instead. Using Cantonese Pinyin directly as the English names of the characters will make them unfamiliar to an average Hong Kong ppl, which is...paradoxical. So in this case...we need both the 'common' English spelling and the true pronunciation?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast