6th Anniversary of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's March 12th in Japan, so it's the 6th anniversary of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth!

Bits below have been used in prior anniversary articles

Cyber Sleuth brought back the Digimon Story game series, which had been on hiatus for a few years (likely after a few too many releases over a relatively small period.)

Various team members from the return to Digimon World with Re:Digitize also came along to the new Cyber Sleuth, including Producer Habu, who first worked on the franchise on early Story games and Suzuhito Yasuda doing character designs.

Cyber Sleuth most notably took elements from early Story games and streamlined them, adding much more visual flair and character to the story mode outside of battles themselves.

It's generally considered one of, if not the best, Digimon games.

The original version of the game was on Playstation Vita at 544p (the native resolution of the Vita) & wasn't able to hold a stable 30fps (in fact, the original CS tech sheet says it was 'up to' 30 fps.)

Later versions on PS4 upped that to 1080p at 60fps, with the PS4 Pro even getting 1660p.

The 'enhanced' version that came with Hacker's Memory has since made it's way around the world on Switch and PC (at 4k) and the game has become easy to get and play along with it's sidequel, which is included in the Complete Edition.

As for in game Digimon... the original Vita version had 240 Digimon. With the Complete Edition and it's additions (prior DLC, Digimon from Hacker's Memory, etc.) that ends up with 341 in the current versions of the game.

Our review and breakdown of the Switch and PC versions of Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition can be found here.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Complete Edition for Switch is currently available to order on Amazon: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Complete Edition (Nintendo Switch)

The digital Nintendo Switch version is available on this page and on your Nintendo Switch.

The PC version can be purchased on Steam directly.

Attachments

Spongebond

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
6th Anniversary?!

WHAT

God damn time flies

Geode

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Wish they added Coronamon though.

Sparrow Hawk

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anniversary already? Oh yes. This is the best digimon game ever I brought (JP version then english lastly)

It turned out as it's SO DARK and surprisingly it didn't get censored for years or edited. How awesome is that? Hey I totally didn't meant that but it was just really shocking as the story advancing to keep us surprised at every direction!

Shame it didn't get more DLCs. But I hope the future games will be inspired some other ways from this Cyber Sleuth/Hacker's Memory series to carry over.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when I first got into this game. Is it just a small-time side game that uses some touchscreen gimmick or whatever (thus "sleuthing")? Is it gonna be like one of those Digimon World 3 deals where you have a very limited pool of Digimon to play with? Is this promotional black Agumon and Gabumon pretty much a glorified Mew that you can only get once? Whatever the case may be, I decided to import it anyway. And rather than put it on my game backburner, I booted it up on my Vita TV, figured I'd at least get that black Agumon/Gabumon promo code put in..... needless to say, I got hooked. It didn't take me long before I figured "Oooooooooh, right...... Digimon Story's in the title. It's pretty much the same as those DS RPGs I always heard about but never actually got around to." I was also pleasantly surprised that, not only the black Agumon/Gabumon, but pretty much ANY Digimon can be obtained indefinitely (and honestly, I wish more monster-raisers had this, rather than this artificial scarcity bullshit that Pokemon uses to promote trading). Unfortunately, my experience with the game has been sorta on-and-off over the years (mostly distracted by Splatoon and Smash), but overall, I friggin' loved it, and it may've single-handedly help rekindle my interest in this franchise (having been mostly dormant for about half a decade prior).

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Took a hot minute to get localized, so more like five years for us in the west, but still, whew does time fly. Fantastic game. Just the right amount of quirk, story, gameplay, all of it. Obviously the technical limitations are the big issue, but this is a game I'll always happily revisit.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The second greatest Digimon game of all time, second only to HM. Here's to more Story games in the future.

Took a hot minute to get localized, so more like five years for us in the west, but still, whew does time fly. Fantastic game. Just the right amount of quirk, story, gameplay, all of it. Obviously the technical limitations are the big issue, but this is a game I'll always happily revisit.
11 months isn't that bad, it's pretty standard. Even recent games in other series take way longer that that.

For example, two recent JRPGs from the last few months (and Persona is one of the most popular JRPG series. TOCS is prob more niche than Digimon, but is still pretty popular)

Persona 5 Strikers Japanese (February 20 2020)
Persona 5 Strikers English (February 23 2021)

Trails of Cold Steel 4 Japanese (September 27 2018)
Trails of Cold Steel 4 English (October 27 2020)

11 months between Cyber Sleuth's Japanese and English releases is good

BlankShell

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The second greatest Digimon game of all time, second only to HM. Here's to more Story games in the future.

11 months isn't that bad, it's pretty standard. Even recent games in other series take way longer that that.

For example, two recent JRPGs from the last few months (and Persona is one of the most popular JRPG series. TOCS is prob more niche than Digimon, but is still pretty popular)

Persona 5 Strikers Japanese (February 20 2020)
Persona 5 Strikers English (February 23 2021)

Trails of Cold Steel 4 Japanese (September 27 2018)
Trails of Cold Steel 4 English (October 27 2020)

11 months between Cyber Sleuth's Japanese and English releases is good
It was good for the time (especially since they probably hadn't decided on a localization at all to start with) but Strikers isn't the best example since a fair amount of that was Covid delay. And then there's other mid-tier publishers like Square Enix when near-simultaneous releases are normal. But still, I'm glad we got it regardless of how long it took.

Yamato-san

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seem to recall that, at first, there was some controversy over whether or not they'd even bother to localize it after Digimon All-Star Rumble not selling that well in the west. Of course, the logic doesn't add up since Rumble and Story aren't even remotely similar games, but it seems to be a shitty yet common practice among certain publishers and localizers (especially around that time): release a subpar product related to a dormant franchise, and tell the fandom it better sell well or else said franchise won't get another chance.

Also, I just remembered another thing I loved about Cyber Sleuth: like Tamers, it went pretty heavy on the sci-fi aspect. The returning focus on hackers was quite welcome IMO, and has any other piece of media within the franchise suggested that Digimon can't even exist outside of a considerably data-filled environment?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I seem to recall that, at first, there was some controversy over whether or not they'd even bother to localize it after Digimon All-Star Rumble not selling that well in the west. Of course, the logic doesn't add up since Rumble and Story aren't even remotely similar games, but it seems to be a shitty yet common practice among certain publishers and localizers (especially around that time): release a subpar product related to a dormant franchise, and tell the fandom it better sell well or else said franchise won't get another chance.
All-Star Rumble wasn't a top seller, but it seemed to sell about what you would expect, or a bit better, as stores were willing to stock a title in the same franchise rather quickly (a hair over a year) and Bandai was more than happy to translate it, port it, and get it to market pretty quickly, both from when it came out in Japan, and from when All Star Rumble came out.

We never had actual numbers from Bandai, the idea of it 'must' of not selling well was mostly just fans who didn't like it.

Had All-Star Rumble actually sold under expectations, realistically stores wouldn't have been willing to stock a Digimon title for awhile, nor would Bandai have been so ready to put another game out there, since All-Star Rumble was the first Digimon game released in quite awhile in the west.

And of course, there was no 'controversy' about it.

Kyaromonfan96

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
All-Star Rumble wasn't a top seller, but it seemed to sell about what you would expect, or a bit better, as stores were willing to stock a title in the same franchise rather quickly (a hair over a year) and Bandai was more than happy to translate it, port it, and get it to market pretty quickly, both from when it came out in Japan, and from when All Star Rumble came out.

We never had actual numbers from Bandai, the idea of it 'must' of not selling well was mostly just fans who didn't like it.

Had All-Star Rumble actually sold under expectations, realistically stores wouldn't have been willing to stock a Digimon title for awhile, nor would Bandai have been so ready to put another game out there, since All-Star Rumble was the first Digimon game released in quite awhile in the west.

And of course, there was no 'controversy' about it.
That game is similar to Pokemon but hey, it has a lot of monsters! Anyways, I hope Rumble Arena goes back to it's roots like it had in the 2000s.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I got this for the Switch for a good deal. And I will play it soon. There's just So Many Good Games On The Switch. So it may take a while.

Rohan

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Congratulations CS.

Hopefully the Story games will continue to be as good as CS and HM were.

Lobomon96

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Still no news from survive tough.... :(