5th Anniversary of Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters!

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Image Thumbnail (custom)

It's October 1st in Japan, so time for another anniversary! Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters began 5 years ago on October 1st, 2016.

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Appmon premiered partway thru tri., which means it was the first time (and thus far only time) we had completely different pieces of Digimon animation running concurrently/ongoing. (Not to mention Appmon having 2 manga running during the run of the anime. In fact, Appmon Academy, the second Appmon manga, began the same day as the anime.)

Since tri. was bringing back older characters, Appmon went and did something new, which was not only start over entirely, but have the monsters be fresh, with only a handful of more direct appearances (a new version of Hackmon being a major character, and a late cameo from Agumon, among a handful of monsters with familiar appearances.)

Appmon more directly than most of Digimon had the idea of AI front and forward from beginning to end, along with a range of interesting characters that people quickly grew to like. It also did a pretty good job at making sure all the main characters got decent weighting for their own stories.

On top of that we got a selection of new music that fit in with the franchise well, while not always being what was expected.

After a decent wait, Appmon finally began streaming officially on Crunchyroll with subtitles a few years ago, although fans are still waiting on a disc release in the west (or Blu-rays... anywhere), even if a dub at this point seems unlikely.

The Appmon still make occasional cameos on the official Digimon Web Twitter. Digimon Partners has gotten in on the fun by having Appmon be the partner you can get via their partner poll, and the current 'event' to vote for plushies to be made has a dedicated Appmon entry, so Appmon might potentially get one. Fans look forward to when they might see them used a bit more. (One other place to spot them, if you eyeball social media, one of the FujiTV Shops often posts Digimon material in the store in social media, and they've taken to hiding a Dokamon plush in photos on occasion.)

Update- From Digimon Web, celebration art and a message!

appmon5_september30_2021.jpg

October 1, 2015 was the 1st episode of Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters "The Search Result is Haru Shinkai! Gatchmon Appears!"
In other words, today is the 5th anniversary of Appmon❗️🎊🎉
The story begins with Dive!!, Haru gets the AppDrive, meets Gatchmon, and becomes a real hero.
Now let's search with Gatch!🔍

We went over all 4 Appmon DVD-Boxes as they came out, and our breakdowns can be found:
Box 1 Breakdown
Box 2 Breakdown
Box 3 Breakdown
Box 4 Breakdown

All 4 DVD-Boxes for Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters are still available to order. (Affiliate links.)
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 1
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 2
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 3
Digimon Universe: AppliMonsters DVD Box 4

Attachments

• appmon5_september30_2021.jpg
    appmon5_september30_2021.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 7,251
Last edited:

Strontium

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Gatchi indeed! This is my favorite Digimon season for pure sentimentality reasons - it was in the right place and at the right time for me to form a strong attachment. I know it may not be the "best" season but that really doesn't matter when true love is involved.

EDIT: the celebration art is SOO cute! Haru looks especially good (Gatchi’s mouth is a little off model tbh XD)

Last edited:

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It wasn't a bad season. I still think we needed a girl Appmon MC. Ai wasn't doing much. More then that other guy. Plus there was Harujin ship we all(mostly all) agreed was real. It had some fun ideas that worked.

Mattman324

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
5 years have passed, but Eri being a turbochad is eternal.

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
The concept was cool, characters were cool (Astora was a little repetitive, but still) and the mons were cool. Loved Rei and Hackmon.

I particularly liked the Appli Driver toy, and how you could simply switch it's colors with different parts. We need more Digivice toys/replicas like that. (I'm looking at you, D-Ark and D-3)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Added celebration art and a message from Digimon Web.

drtomoe123

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Very nice. I love Haru and now that Adventure 2020 is over, I think I consider Appmon to be better show in practically every department aside from franchise fan service. Here’s to another anniversary and maybe one day we’ll get a Premium Bandai Applidrive as an actual LCD toy. /wishfulthinking

GoggleBoy97

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am glad the official accounts still acknowledge the show, even if it's from time to time. I hope this kind of easter eggs make people more accepting towards the series. Appmon is part of Digimon, that's it

BeelzemonXX

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Appmon was definitely a fun show. Not my absolute favorite but certainly among my top 5 favorite Digimon series. Happy 5th Anniversary.

Nemomon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It was a great show, and it is in my top 3 Digimon series. It had a nice little setting that could be compared to Terminator or Neuroshima postapo settings. The main villain was really nice and it was nice that she spent half a century, roughly 50 years trying to set the plain into mention. Rarely villains wait that long to start their plans. Not to mention that she nearly succeeded her plan - also a thing that rarely happens in animes. What I liked much was the fact that the enemy was always near the proagonist secretly watching him, and the fact that they needed to "upgrade/enhance" the protagonist as he was a part of the plans and had their own role to play in them.

Overall, despite having some lows as well (like every anime, let's be honest) it was a nice and fresh Digimon season.