5th Anniversary of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

It's March 12th in Japan, so it's the 5th anniversary of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth!

Cyber Sleuth brought back the Digimon Story game series, which had been on hiatus for a few years (likely after a few too many releases over a relatively small period.)

Various team members from the return to Digimon World with Re:Digitize also came along to the new Cyber Sleuth, including Producer Habu, who first worked on the franchise on early Story games and Suzuhito Yasuda doing character designs.

Cyber Sleuth most notably took elements from early Story games and streamlined them, adding much more visual flair and character to the story mode outside of battles themselves.

It's generally considered one of, if not the best, Digimon games.

The original version of the game was on Playstation Vita at 544p (the native resolution of the Vita) & wasn't able to hold a stable 30fps (in fact, the original CS tech sheet says it was 'up to' 30 fps.)

Later versions on PS4 upped that to 1080p at 60fps, with the PS4 Pro even getting 1660p.

The 'enhanced' version that came with Hacker's Memory has since made it's way around the world on Switch and PC (at 4k) and the game has become easy to get and play along with it's sidequel, which is included in the Complete Edition.

As for in game Digimon... the original Vita version had 240 Digimon. With the Complete Edition and it's additions (prior DLC, Digimon from Hacker's Memory, etc.) that ends up with 341 in the current versions of the game.

Our review and breakdown of the Switch and PC versions of Cyber Sleuth Complete Edition can be found here.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Complete Edition for Switch is currently available to order on Amazon: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Complete Edition (Nintendo Switch)

The digital Nintendo Switch version is available on this page and on your Nintendo Switch.

The PC version can be purchased on Steam directly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
5th anniversary? Not too long, huh. I'm extremely grateful to this Cyber Sleuth series that actually enabled Digimon to keep going. Unlike previous Digimon app games (Not counting Linkz and Rearise) got terminated so shortly. I think it's really miracle it birthed so many things even X series pet and new Adventure movies. Oh Jupitermon, allow me to bow down. Please give it a chance to birth another new series of Cyber Sleuth if possible for the sake of the trilogy game pack in the future!

Deep Saver

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
You have no idea how much fun I had with Cyber Sleuth when it came out in English. It hit on so many things I just really enjoyed, the detective premise, the distinctive style of turn-based combat Media.Vision does, the shockingly good cast, the fact that if you play the game as the female protagonist it turns into some kind of lesbian fantasy. :LOL: You can really tell it was made by a team that loved Digimon, even if they had limited resources.

I have a real love-hate thing with a lot of 'mons games in general, but Cyber Sleuth is a delight and my favorite ever, in Digimon and beyond! I originally played the game on the PS Vita, but I'd like to pick up the switch version eventually.

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm extremely grateful to this Cyber Sleuth series that actually enabled Digimon to keep going. Unlike previous Digimon app games (Not counting Linkz and Rearise) got terminated so shortly. I think it's really miracle it birthed so many things even X series pet and new Adventure movies.
It's not an app, and it didn't lead to any of those things. (tri. was announced far before the game was out.)

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Base cyber slueth had 249 after western DLC (burst modes, Beelzemon bm, evil cherubimon, darkdramon, valkryimon, chaosmon)

Cyber slueth is the second best Digimon game ever after hackers Memory. Happy birthday game. Let's hope the next story entry is even better.

Sparrow Hawk

Resistance is Futile
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It's not an app, and it didn't lead to any of those things. (tri. was announced far before the game was out.)
I know it's not app game. I have it both versions (English and japanese. PS4/Vita).

What, it didn't lead to any things?! Serious? I see... Shame. Oh well at least still it was truly great game. (Vita needs great revival....)

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
What, it didn't lead to any things?! Serious? I see... Shame. Oh well at least still it was truly great game. (Vita needs great revival....)
I didn't say it didn't lead to 'anything', but it didn't lead to more anime, V-Pets, or 'the brand itself' continuing.

It certainly did quite a bit on the video game side.

GraveBride

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Ooh~ 5th Anniversary?! I actually started replaying Cyber Sleuth cuz I got my hands on Complete Edition only a few days ago, what excellent timing~
Still need to play Hacker's Memory for the first time afterwards though.

Nightwing

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah I'd associate the anime and "brand" moving forward to tri. and the V-pets continuing to the ver. 20th's success.

That said, the Cyber Sleuth games are the only Digimon games I've ever played and that has a lot to do with how well they stand out among other Digimon games and just games in general. The Our War Game vibes, the Digimon Story gameplay being pretty straightforward, the character designs, etc., was all so cool lol. Like the only problems I could have with these games would be weak translations. Really thankful we got CS in the west.

GraveBride

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yeah, the translation really coulda been better. I'll probably never get over how many times Arata refers to the Eaters as Bakemon 'cuz someone on staff just didn't translate "bakemono" quite right.

Still, Cyber Sleuth will probably continue to be one of my favorite entries in the series, and as much as I like Adventure, its a shame I couldnt see Cyber Sleuth branch out more beyond just the one sequel, cuz its probably my favorite standalone entry in the series. I like the writing in some of the anime seasons, and previous games were so cool, but Cyber Sleuth in my eyes really does manage to contribute so much with its cast, character design, writing, world building, aesthetics in general, motif, themes, etc, and it just manages to get it all so right, that I just find it probably the most... "charming", for lack of a better word.

Muur

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In terms of DSCS helping games, its sales likley helped get stuff like Next Order (dubbed too), Survive, and ReArise (dubbed) in the west. If DSCS flopped in the west, that would've been "last chance" for a while. (probably)

Ragnalord

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
In terms of DSCS helping games, its sales likley helped get stuff like Next Order (dubbed too), Survive, and ReArise (dubbed) in the west. If DSCS flopped in the west, that would've been "last chance" for a while. (probably)
There is a chance that digimon can become more if the next game is like the cybersleuth games but a full fledged console experience.

Vaioumon

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Awesome games. Only held back by their handheld origins. Can't wait for the next Story.

ArkheStar

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I'm also glad this one got its 5th anniversary

Nagatem

I'm a Maniac
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I’m still salty over the lack of sistermon noir, especially since they made ciel her own character now, and not just a re color, in digimon lore, nuns with guns bad but angels, demons and literal satan good?