With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With Marc

This is the type of week where I'm glad it's gone and I hope no family or friends want to 'do something'

Because I'd like to sit on my couch as much as possible and relax.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I envy you. I work from 2 to 10 today, then have a report coming in around 1AM or so that I need to proofread and reformat. Then I have to get up at 7:30 Sunday morning and work from 9 to 1PM. Please relax a little for me, Marc!
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

A few hours into trying to scan something, scanner is having MAJOR issues.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Various bits I can find online suggest similar issues show up often in regards to auto-calibration issues, but in this case it isn't, as in that case it should up 'every' time a scan is done.

I normally try and scan stuff at 1600dpi or higher, but the scanner isn't letting me go higher than 800 without having the issue (I like to go higher because it allows me to more successfully clean stuff up without affecting the image quality.

These are compressed and resized down to identical sizes.

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

800 dpi, 1200dpi, 1600dpi

I've contacted the manufacturer, it appears it may just be out of warranty though (of course.)

Luckily there is a bit longer until anything shows up that I have to scan, although who knows how long a warranty replacement will take, and if it isn't under warranty, that means buying a new scanner.

There was a few longer term projects I was going to work on, but those have been pushed back for the time being until I can figure this out.

The sample scans for the issue is something I'm working on for the next few days though.

If anyone has an ideas please let me know.

...Drive a few hours east to my place???

I'm sure the are a couple of regulars near you that have scanners that would be willing to help.

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv7Fam View Post

I'm sure the are a couple of regulars near you that have scanners that would be willing to help.
    I haven't kept my skin this long by walking into a horror movie setup.

Traveling to scan stuff isn't reasonably possible for various reasons.

For the moment a lower quality than normal 800dpi for the raws still works even if it isn't ideal. I've contacted the company to see what they will do about the machine.

If they do nothing I'll have to figure out replacing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv7Fam View Post

I haven't kept my skin this long by walking into a horror movie setup.

Traveling to scan stuff isn't reasonably possibly for various reasons.
    Yeah, at the very least, because the cost of traveling back and forth is probably close to that of replacing the scanner anyway. Also less of a chance of ending up chopped into pieces under someone's floorboards, too.

Current things going on...

Nabbed a small stack of comics to read and help me relax (this weekend nearly the entire IDW catalog is on sale at Comixology, so while I couldn't get nearly everything I wanted, I got a nice small stack of newer material.)

Me and lost are working on the gallery site as mentioned in the news thread. Things are going well. Shortly we will probably ask for help from a few users to help us bug test a few things, and potentially work as taggers (adding tags to images for search purposes, etc.) Instead of making a solution from scratch we've been making small tweaks to a pre-existing gallery software package.

Epson is replacing my scanner. They put a hold on one of my accounts to ship it out, but it should be dealt with sooner rather than later. A few things I scanned at lower quality than normal as it was acting up are on hold before I edit them and put them up so that I can try again when the new one comes in.

Various BDs will be coming out soon, and that'll be the test of the new 'free' decrypter to get screenshots and information, since I wasn't able to pay for the new upgraded version of the old paid one I've used for years.

I'm also waffling on certain bits in regards to 'fixing' things for the style guide.

My intention regardless is to put up the files 'as output' up, but to also add 'fixed' versions for a handful of files with issues.

Fixing Ken's D-3 was obvious, as that was actual errors introduced by the conversion to a new format.

But Davis' D-3 has an actual coloring issue on it. Should there be a fixed version of that also? Haven't decided.

Still not great generally talking about personal things, but I deal with them as best I can (wrote a few things then deleted them.)

Since someone asked what I'm currently planning to read, I went ahead and tossed cover images together.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

'puts on my disk checking monocle'

So I have tri. part 3 but won't be able to start digging into it deeply until possibly tomorrow (heading to a movie soon, and helping my brother pack to move tomorrow afternoon, but I'll likely do a lot of preliminary stuff, possibly scanning also, earlier tomorrow.)

A few interesting things just from some basic looking.

The disk is very similar to the others, in fact, tri. 1, 2, and 3 are all within 1 gig of eachother on Blu-ray. 3 is actually the smallest sizewise despite being the longest.

I expect plenty of posts once I start to dig into stuff in detail, especially in regards to editing scans.

If all goes well, scans and the breakdown will be up Sunday, or more reasonably, Monday or even Tuesday.

This is all in addition to a handful of other things that I'm working on for the site with various people.

The breakdowns are all on me (minus showing people a handful of tests and tweaks to get their thoughts, and the nice people who chat with me or post while I'm working on it to help keep me sane when I start to be a little loopy after doing it for hours.), and part of this one involves keeping an eye on things carefully since Epson finally got me a replacement scanner.