3D Models from Digimon Linkz (and by extension Cyber Sleuth and Next 0rder)

Garmmon

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just noticed this thread (and the Soul Chasers one) and just wanted to say thanks! :> 3D models are always a huge help for references; I kinda wish I still had Maya so I can play around with these a bit more.
I wish I had the determination to learn the technical knowhow to rip all these but I always get lost halfway, haha. Thank you!

Marylin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Umm, I couldn't find the Valkyrimon model in the pack, and I'm sure that it's in Cyber Sleuth.

It's one of my favorite Digimon. Can someone here please help me get the model for it?

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Umm, I couldn't find the Valkyrimon model in the pack, and I'm sure that it's in Cyber Sleuth.
Valkyrimon was made/added by them modifying a pre-existing model. This was done to various Digimon to add a few new Digimon to the game after it's international release.

As far as I'm aware they haven't tweaked that model to appear in Linkz yet.

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yes, unfortunately even though Linkz was released long after cyber sleuth it only has the "core" roster of Digimon as included in CS without any of the updates.
The Digimon added to Cyber Sleuth after release are: Cherubimon (vice), Beelzebumon blast Mode, All 4 of the main Savers Burst Modes, Darkdramon, Chaosmon and Valkyrimon like you already noticed.
I hope they will eventually pop up in a future update... recently Linkz was updated from version 1.0.3 to 1.0.4 but no new Digimon were added.

Marylin

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh wow, well thanks guys.

I guess I'll just have to wait for Linkz to add Valkyrimon then. Or models to be able to be ripped from Vita/PS4 games

After all, they need a real Digivolution for Sylphimon in Linkz.

Dynasmon, Phoenixmon and Sakuyamon don't really make sense as digivolutions for it, So I've got my fingers crossed!

AiM&4

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Finally! Been waiting for this

If it wasn't for LonkZ i don't even think the models would even be riped. Since you know, vita is unhackable and all...

trickyrick

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Just want to say thank you Theigno to make it possible to us to use the digimon models from Linkz! I once tried to extract them from a digital copy of Cyber Sleuth before Linkz was out, but had no idea how to analyze the raw model formats and had to give up.

Now I can get the models and the attached rigging no problem, but I came into some problem with the animation. I've got the UNITY3D files of selective digimons and followed your instructions using Unity Studio to export the models and the animations as FBX. However when I open up the FBX in my 3ds Max 2015, I got a warning that the GRP_joint and GRP_mesh are not part of the BindPose, and the animation failed to carry over into Max. Even when I open the FBX files with FBX Review, there is no animation happening. I'm not sure if it is my 3ds Max's problem, or the Unity Studio program cannot export the animation from the UNITY3D files well.

Ultimately, I'm trying to put the Linkz models with all the animations they have into NIF files so I can view them on NifSkope, any help to make this happen is much appreciated!

Ashley Cuadra

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Hi I'm new here um it'll be awesome to get the rendering's of WarGreymon and AngeWomon I'm doing a drawing of a character that resembles them

-Shigeru82-

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since the Meicoomon event hit Digimon Linkz earlier today, you may want to re-update the Archive file. :)

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Since the Meicoomon event hit Digimon Linkz earlier today, you may want to re-update the Archive file. :)
Sure, I'll update it soon-ish. Not right now because there are some more pressing matters taking up the majority of my time but expect a major update in the first half of next month. It will be much more than just Maicoomon (or maybe I'll just put her up sooner if the rest takes too long) although I won't say much more so people can't get on my nerves about it :p

Hi I'm new here um it'll be awesome to get the rendering's of WarGreymon and AngeWomon I'm doing a drawing of a character that resembles them
Well just download the archive then... all you need is some 3d viewer that supports .obj files which shouldn't be much of a problem. Although unfortunately Angewomon has been quite screwed over with shitty textures in this game.

Just want to say thank you Theigno to make it possible to us to use the digimon models from Linkz! I once tried to extract them from a digital copy of Cyber Sleuth before Linkz was out, but had no idea how to analyze the raw model formats and had to give up.
There have been attempts as far as the models go, but only at a quite early stage and not nearly as "complete" as the extractions that are possible from unity.

Now I can get the models and the attached rigging no problem, but I came into some problem with the animation. I've got the UNITY3D files of selective digimons and followed your instructions using Unity Studio to export the models and the animations as FBX. However when I open up the FBX in my 3ds Max 2015, I got a warning that the GRP_joint and GRP_mesh are not part of the BindPose, and the animation failed to carry over into Max. Even when I open the FBX files with FBX Review, there is no animation happening. I'm not sure if it is my 3ds Max's problem, or the Unity Studio program cannot export the animation from the UNITY3D files well.
You can't extract animations. As I mentioned before in one of those longer posts above you only get, if you are really lucky, the first frame of whatever animation one of those files contains (so you could have frozen poses and like with action figures or something), actually exporting animations from a finished unity game would be a much harder task if not completely impossible.

Ultimately, I'm trying to put the Linkz models with all the animations they have into NIF files so I can view them on NifSkope, any help to make this happen is much appreciated!
I'm not sure why it would need to be .nif after all nif is an production format that isn't actually meant to be further edited even if some unofficial viewers and imports exist. It would be better to use a format actually meant to be viewed and edited by itself.

jamesC

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Sure, I'll update it soon-ish. Not right now because there are some more pressing matters taking up the majority of my time but expect a major update in the first half of next month. It will be much more than just Maicoomon (or maybe I'll just put her up sooner if the rest takes too long) although I won't say much more so people can't get on my nerves about it :p
Are these gotten from the Android version of Linkz?

Ashley Cuadra

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks Theigno oh want to see a drawing of a character that resembles both WarGreymon and AngeWomon

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Are these gotten from the Android version of Linkz?
Technically I got them with my PC since the only part of the process that required me to boot up an android system was the initial game analysis that got me the address of the game's server. I don't copy files around from my phone or virtual android machine I simply check the servers directly like this:

http://icdn.s3.api.digimonlinkz.channel.or.jp/asset/AB_DATA/ANDROID/1.1.0/Characters/Characters_012_GO.unity3d?1

If I want the iOS versions I can simply change the directory name from "ANDROID" to "IPHONE" like this:
http://icdn.s3.api.digimonlinkz.channel.or.jp/asset/AB_DATA/IPHONE/1.1.0/Characters/Characters_012_GO.unity3d?1

At least when I first checked there were little to no differences in the assets of those different versions

Thanks Theigno oh want to see a drawing of a character that resembles both WarGreymon and AngeWomon
If you want to share your drawings feel free to open a thread for them in this forum section.

Ashley Cuadra

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Thanks Theigno are screenshots of the characters ok then getting the models themselves

Last edited:

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Time for a big upgrade

I already mentioned it but the last few days I have been working (among other things) on a major upgrade to my model collection. And now it is done:

-All models are now fully rigged and weighted!
-Improved higher quality textures from the Vita Version!
-Additional texture files for eye states, shaders and effects!
-Multi textured Digimon now definitely have correct UV selections
-Dot sprites for all the Digimon!
-Maicoomon added!

Now for the in-depth details:

Recently I stumbled upon something beautiful... a complete dump of the game data of the Cyber Sleuth Vita version (I won't go into great detail about how or where since it might be getting a bit too close to piracy). As mentioned in an earlier post it is actually possible to extract things from those archives models only to a limited extend (more about that later) but the big thing are the textures. I pointed out before how the only big difference between the CS and Linkz models is the texture compression (and linkz still seems to experiment with that). Now that I have access to the data of cyber sleuth I can indeed confirm that the geometry is identical (even for the models where I kinda doubted it) but the textures are better. The interesting thing is that even though they show less artifacts and cleaner gradients they actually aren't that much larger in terms of file size than the linkz versions.
As I said exporting models from vita data is hard and buggy at the moment and since there is no geometry difference and exporting things such as bones for the models is probably impossible from that source there was no reason not to stick with the linkz models in terms of meshes. But by integrating the graphics exported from the Vita version this package contains the best of both worlds: The high quality Vita textures with the Linkz version's rigged models. (Of course since Maicoomon isn't in Cyber Sleuth she still has the default Linkz textures)
Sometimes combining the two meant screwing around with the UV a bit... Some digimon such as Growmon and Angewomon do have a smaller single texture in Linkz where they had multiple textures in cyber sleuth. I figured the best way to get the better textures onto the models was combining them into a single file in the same order like the linkz texture but without downscaling them. So instead of a 512x256 sized texture I ended up with a 768x512 texture. Most 3D editors including Blender can deal with irregular sizes like this but some some game engines might throw a fit the textures aren't perfect squares or the resolution isn't a power of 2... but that's the kind of fringe compatibility issue I don't worry too much about.

In addition to having better textures the Vita models also have more textures: In Digimon linkz the Digimon can't blink or close their eyes. However they can do this in cyber sleuth because each Digimon has two textures, one with open eyes and one with closed eyes. Both of these textures are now in the texture folder with the open eye texture being set as the default one.
There are also mostly non-functional shaders for some effects (such as MachGaogamon's rockets) and the shading. reverse engineering these specific parts of the game is beyond the scope of this project however. What I will say is that the textures with an "s" at the end are specific tones of shading that are applied to specific materials at certain lighting conditions. It's cell shading but softer and more subtle... and as I said I don't exactly know how to reproduce it yet. The (sometimes blurry) texture of a street ending in "env" is the environment texture used in the game's metal material because calculating detailed reflections in real time based on the actual level geometry would be way too inefficient for a vita game so they are only based on this static image.

And of course this time the rigging is part of the deal and you don't need to export it yourself. I decided to include the rigged models once I noticed that newer versions of the unity3d packages would actually export the texture selection correctly now. This was the main problem with the export in the previous version and in many cases I had to fix the texturing by hand which in some cases took quite a while. Since that is no longer necessary updating the models took way less time. I also managed to write a little python script that would automatically apply some of the general fixes to texture paths and model poses that would normally come out wrong when exporting the files.
With that taken care of all that was left was optimizing the rigging itself. In their normal state both the bones and the weighting functions perfectly but in many cases the rig was either scaled differently than the mesh and offset from it or even in another pose. In the first case all it took were some basic transformations to align the model and the rig naturally.
If the rig had another pose things could get a little more complicated; in most cases all I needed to to was to resetting the rotation of the bones' individual axis to zero. In some cases however the axis themselves weren't align correctly so I'd need to manually rotate the bones into the right position. That happened pretty rarely but for the few cases where that was the case (Examon for example) I can't guarantee that the alignment is perfect... but it should be close enough.

Since the .obj format I used previously does not support rigged models this time around I exported the files as Collada .dae files. The textures still don't support alpha in .dae so in the case of Digimon with chains or tattered wings like Belphemon and Devimon you'll have to manually apply the alpha channel from the image after importing the model.

Also the DLC Digimon are still not included since dumping and decrypting vita dlc is still impossible.

Oh and here's a random render of Maicoomon:

Last edited:

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
So, Meicrackmon (however you want to spell it) isn't getting its model extracted, until either somebody is able to get into the DLC of Next Order, or it gets put into Linkz (or something like that.)

Still, Meicoomon... I'm happy. : 3

Tortoiseshel

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh my gosh, fully rigged and everything... ;w;

Theigno

Supper Mοderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
A bit of a rant about animation extractions and why it probably won't happen...

So at least once I was asked, in this thread or somewhere else, if it was possible to include the animations with the models ripped from unity assets.
Pretty much all the sites I did my research on while working on this project answered that question with "no".

...but then I thought to myself: Is it really impossible or does that just mean that no one has been bored enough to figure out the details?

As it so happens I can get very bored sometimes so I decided to really take an in-depth look at the data. So here is what's up... the most common type of rigged models used in unity are .fbx files and on import unity will decode any animations contained in those files into freely usable (even for other models, if they have the same kind of rig) animation clips saved in the unity specific .anim format. There seem to be two versions of this format; a plain text version and a compiled version. The plain text version is mostly used in the project libraries themselves, and the compiled version is usually generated upon export and can't be parsed or modified by the animation editor.
Of course the values for the animation, targeted bones, keyframes etc are still coded into the compiled version but while there exist no real decompiler yet, there are extraction program that can read the values for all the encoded animations and output them in an array structure... which is not immediately useful but close enough.
So we have technically all (or at least most) information contained in the .anim file but the structure is completely broken. Entries seem to be in the correct order but everything from how the arrays are designated to how the values are separated or in which form the variables are stored... that's all formatted completely differently. But to my knowledge there is no other format that handles animation data with the same structure that .anim has, so the only option left is to bite the bullet and do some really complex parsing and regex based manipulation of all the values to eventually sort them into a valid .anim structure again that is recognized by unity (which in itself isn't as useful as it might sound but more about that later). And that's... quite a lot of work because unsurprisingly it's necessary to completely understand how all the values are stored in normal .anim file before being able to create a working parser. Which values are arrays, which are not, if a value doesn't exist is it a zero, an empty array, or simply left blank what's the indentation etc etc and the thing about the .anim format is that even in its plaintext form it is not meant to be edited by hand; It's only meant to be an output format for the unity animator. Why is this important? Because usually languages or file structures meant to be programmed directly by humans might be a bit lenient when it comes to formatting. Things like indentation or whitespace between things might not actually matter for the program and only serve a visual purpose for humans... but that's not necessarily the case in files written by programs for programs; the .anim format is outputted in a strict format and read only in that exact format. One step of indentation to much? unreadable. A single space at the end of a line? unreadable. A single value to big? A single missing attribute anywhere? unreadable. With no error messages or hints what went wrong because these files are not meant to be edited or fixed by humans. So any parser would need to be perfect in order to work at all.
But there might be a few ways around that. As mentioned before unity likes .fbx files. Being a widely used format its of course possible to export the models as fbx to be read by unity again (the reason why I went with .dae for the release instead of .fbx was because blender had some issues importing it but .dae worked fine so I went with the safe option). Now the really vague and annyoing part about the .anim format are the massive amount of variables for file properties and other details about the animation stored in a variety of formats. The actual list of keyframe value is actually structured rather simply in forms of nested arrays for each property that is animated with values for each keyframe including time x,y,z coordinates the target bone and other rather straightforward stuff. Getting these arrays formatted correctly is not that much a challenge. With that in mind here's what might be theoretically possible:
Export the rigged model together with raw data for the animation. Do some simple random animation with the model in a 3D editing software and export is as xbf. Then Import said XBF into unity and duplicate the animation into a separate plain text .anim file in the unity project folder. Here's where things get interesting: While the animation on the model probably doesn't have much to do with whatever the animation is we want to extract from the game all the environment variables should be the same. It's the same model with the same rig, each bone has the same name so in theory all the variables stored in our newly generated .anim file should be just as valid for the original model that the game animations are designed around as they are for our current one. The only difference should be the keyframes themselves. And as explained earlier exporting a correctly formatted keyframe array is comparatively easy. So basically we have a new working animation file and we simply replace our random keyframes with the keyframes exported from the game and boom, there's the animation. At least in a perfect world it would work like that. In realtity I tested this theory with one of the simplest models from the game (kuramon) and tried to reconstruct the idle animation this way and it was .... half of a success (maybe?)
The good news is that unity was still able to read the file. The duration was also right... but with the movement itself things got wonky. The model was pretty much just stretching and spasming... when squinting really hard it might resemble the actual idle animation a bit. There are a few things that could be off. The scale for example or some other values. maybe I need to import a few select other variables from the original file.
There were some aspects that were missing from the extracted file like keyframe interpolations and it's possible that the values in the plaintext file are just autoaticlly generated default values that are removed again when exporting, in which case I just need to automatically include them in the parsing process. If there's really something specific missing that wasn't exported but is vital to making the animation work again in the editor... then of course the project would be fucked. I'm not exactly sure which one of those options is the problem here but at least I managed to import some movement and possibly with lots of tweaking and trial and error it might be possible to find the right values to represent the keyframes correctly again.

But honestly right now figuring out this animation business isn't high on my list of projects and priorities. Mostly because even if I could correctly reverse engineer the .anim files it would still be mostly useless for most purposes. Remember .anim is a unity specific file. The animation would work in unity and nowhere else. And unity can't export anything except compressed game assets... and that would just mean we've come full circle since exactly those kind of assets are what I started out with.
There are ways to break that circle in form of unity extensions, collada and .fbx exporters that make it possible to directly export rigged and even animated models directly from unity. The problem is those extensions aren't free. They are for sale on the unity store for anywhere between 20$ and 80$. That's too much. To be honest, seeing the state of the "imported" animations right now, I'm not really willing to spend any money on a project with such a low possibility of success.

So yeah, that's the situation right now... don't hold your breath for getting animations, they are pretty far off. But maybe not completely impossible.

MasterOfTartarus

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
hey Theigno does that source also provide textures for buildings streets and other stuff? i would be interested in those

AmEv7Fam

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Am I the only one that's having issues with the Meicoomon .dae? The issue I'm having is the texture isn't applying for me in Blender.

I can import several others without issue (I've personally tried Rena, Guil, Agu, Gabu, all with no noticeable issues), but Mei, for me, is coming in untextured.

Edit: I was manually able to import the .png, and it applied correctly. Weird, though, that it didn't automatically import.

Last edited: