With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Motiki- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Joe Motiki- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Cause we all like Medabots, and especially Metabee, Joseph Motiki will be showing up to answer any questions you guys have for him. He played Metabee in all of Medabots, was in Rescue Heroes, Bill Nye, and Magic School Bus (I'm not 100% sure about the last two, I THINK he was the host of the channel/block they were in in Canada, I've seen conflicting information). He's also Shadow in Spider Riders, hosted a few gameshows, been in Degrassi, and others.

I'm sure we can all come up with some interesting things to ask him.

So have at it (although I should note he won't be showing up until October 9th, so you have time to think of your questions).
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net

Re: Joe Motiki- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers

Thanks for letting us ask you questions, Mr. Motiki

What's the transition like from acting to voice acting?

Guess my first question will be regarding the conflicting info I found.

Were you in Magic School Bus and Bill Nye, or did you host them for a channel/block?
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Completely digital

Hi Mr. Motiki! Welcome to the Boards!

For my first question: How did you get involved in Medabots? Did you apply for the part and, if so, which characters did you apply for?

What was it like playing Metabee? Would you play him again if you could?

Were you allowed to do any improv? Any creative ideas you put into the show that came through in the script?

Thanks! :]

"Gonna fly like a Butterfly - Sting like a MetaBee!"

Well, I guess I'll go before other people do so Motiki doesn't miss it.

Mr. Motiki, do you have any idea why the original voice actor for Ikki was replaced in season 3 with the Kilobots? Unfortunately I don't know either of their names, but the replacement played Hunter Steele with you in Spider Riders, which I found to be a nice gesture to Medabots. ^_^

Completely digital

I loved Metabee's VA , Mr. Motoki. Metabots was awesome.

Follow SeiferA On Twitter Visit SeiferA's Youtube Channel Add SeiferA on Steam Add SeiferA on DeviantArt

If you actually worked with the cast and/or crew for The Magic School Bus, what was the experience like with that?
    -2005 Pokemon Rocks America Finalist in Dallas, TX-
    -2006 Journey Across America Participant in Houston, TX-
    -2007 PBR Gamestop Tournament Champion in San Antonio, TX-
    -2009 and 2010 Pokemon Video Game Championship Participant in Dallas, TX-

Update
    -------

Joe will be showing up on Tuesday, after the Canadian Thanksgiving.

So start getting those questions up.

Ain't got no mojo...

[quote author=SakuyamonX link=topic=5399.msg67426#msg67426 date=1190935714]
    Thanks for letting us ask you questions, Mr. Motiki

What's the transition like from acting to voice acting?
    [/quote]

Hey SX, for me the difference between acting and voice acting is minimal ... the biggest thing I've had to deal with is the transition from [b]hosting[b] to acting. I spent the first few years of my career hosting live television, where you have to think on your feet and be ready for anything - very "off the cuff". Acting is an entirely different discipline, where you follow a script (for the most part) and make your choices concerning tone, emotion, etc. before you go into studio. Also, when you're live, once something is done, it's done and gone for better or for worse. In acting, you may do a couple of takes, you may do several takes, you may do thirty takes of a line or scene depending on what satisfies the director.

For me, the move into voiceover work was smooth, but the real transition to be made for doing Medabots was that it was the first show I'd ever dubbed. Metabee's lines, along with the other characters, had to be shoehorned into allotted spaces where the original Japanese once existed. Depending on what the script called for, I'd have to fit Metabee's lines into the time given, whether it be as long as ten seconds or as short as a few frames. The first episode I dubbed took me a couple of hours; once the crew and I got into a rhythm I could do two episodes in as little as a half-hour or less, depending on how many lines I had. I was probably the most lucky of the Medabots actors Sakuyamon because I only had to worry about time issues, whereas everyone else also had to also deliver their lines in sync with their character's mouths. THAT can be a time draining exercise, so the producers would try to schedule my sessions after someone voicing a human character with a lot of lines - I would come in and get the recording day back on schedule. No lips on Metabee ... priceless!
    Joe

Ain't got no mojo...

[quote author=godofchaos link=topic=5399.msg67447#msg67447 date=1190952662]
    Guess my first question will be regarding the conflicting info I found.

Were you in Magic School Bus and Bill Nye, or did you host them for a channel/block?
    [/quote]

It's the latter Chaos. I used to host an afterschool block of children's programs called The tvokids Crawlspace, which aired on TVOntario here in Canada (it could also be seen in some parts of the U.S., like Michigan, New York and a couple of other states). The block itself was geared to kids ranging in age from two to early teens. I would come on in between shows to entertain the audience with contests, viewer mail, characters and such, and keep them tuned in for the next show. Two of the block's most popular shows were Bill Nye The Science Guy and the Magic School Bus. I was never actually in either of those shows, but I did get to work with Bill Nye on a series of live performances to promote his show, which ended up drawing thousands of people to the Ontario Science Centre, and we once had a Magic School Bus picnic complete with a replica life-sized Magic School Bus, which was attended by 15 000 people at Toronto's Centre Island. Voice of Metabee, yes. Voice of Ms. Frizzle, no.
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast