22nd Anniversary of Digimon Adventure 02 & 16th Anniversary of Digimon Savers!

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
adventure02_april2_2019.jpg

It's April 2nd in Japan, so more anniversaries! Digimon Adventure 02 began 22 years ago on April 2nd, 2000.

(Various text below has been used in prior anniversary articles.)

Adventure 02 was the first anime that came after Adventure, and it came in a form that to some degree, is still sort of unique and is still pointed out (and Adventure still goes with to this day.) Not wringing out every story bit from the characters as they are in a never ending roundabout with an eventual change, but telling a tale and jumping forward to a new story.

02 jumped a few years ahead and introduced 3 new leads with unique and interesting Digimon joining Takeru, Patamon, Hikari, and Tailmon. The rest of the leads from Adventure were recurring characters with the time jump having various defined character change for them.

The show was also interesting in that it added a few new types of evolution into the anime, which the franchise has played with various twists to evolution continuing on from here.

From a technical perspective, 02 is also unique in that towards the end, Toei changed the production chain, so while most of 02 uses older composite video, the last few episodes moved over to component, a change that would benefit future Digimon shows.

In recent years 02 has been caught between a rock in a hard place, where sales and interest are still high, but it isn't quite differentiated enough from what came before (since it's still part of Adventure) to get to many things of it's own while Adventure has continued to move forward with the path 02 helped pave. There has still been a number of notable 02 things though: various 02 elements making their way into tri., a few GEM figures (with hints of more), the well liked 15th Anniversary D-3s, and heavy appearances in various franchise 20th Anniversary merchandise a couple years ago (and appearances in various V-Pets and games.)

The last few years haven't been bad for 02 though... characters also showed up in Kizuna, and we've seen plushies, appearances in recent products and the card game, and even an 02 centered audio drama with the Kizuna home video release in Japan!

And of course, the big thing... we're currently waiting on a sequel to Kizuna, with the stand in title '02' which will be a Digimon Adventure 02 focused film!

But April 2nd isn't just 02's day...

savers_april2_2019.jpg

It's the 16th Anniversary of Digimon Savers!

Digimon Savers premiered on April 2nd, 2006.

Savers has an odd and unique place in the franchise. It's the first time it came 'back' after the original run of the anime ended. There were various comics, games, products, even X-Evolution, but nothing fully 'ongoing' in a way easy for people to connect to.

Savers both went back to elements that helped defined the franchise (Agumon as a lead, with a bunch of Greymon evolutions), while also going with a new art style, and going with a general mood of feeling more actiony. The primay leads of Masaru, Touma, and Yoshino are still well remember today, and they were later joined by Ikuto, along with a wide range of recurring characters ranging from various members of DATS and Masaru's family.

Savers has been one of the pieces of the franchise that at times has felt the most like it hasn't gotten things as time has gone, but with appearances in various franchise 20th Anniversary products, video games, recent V-Pets, and even a hint at a GEM figure (a hint at an actual Savers GEM figure, not the V-Tamer one that is being branded as Savers for marketing reasons), that will hopefully change (eventually) so fans will be able to nab things. And of course, with the Frontier Blu-ray Box out for awhile at this point, Savers makes a heavily obvious next choice, so we are still waiting to see what will happen there.

Plus, there will be a Savers otedama plush soon of Gaomon!

Digimon Web posted social art and a message for the 15th Anniversary of Savers last year...

savers15thsocial_april1_2021.png

A bit of a fun time for 02 and Savers fans to share their thoughts on two very different shows.

We did a breakdown of the Digimon Adventure 02 BD-Box a few years ago.

The Digimon Adventure 02 Blu-ray Box is still available to order: (Affiliate link)
Digimon Adventure 02 BD-Box
Digimon Adventure 02, and it's movies, were also included in the Digimon Adventure 1999-2001 Blu-ray box.

We also did a breakdown of the Digimon the Movies box a few years ago. This contains both 02 movies and the Savers movie.

The Movies Box got split apart into singles a few years ago, and everything is still available, including the full box: (Affiliate link)
Digimon the Movies Blu-ray Box
Digimon Adventure Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Adventure 02 Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Tamers Movies Blu-ray
Digimon Frontier & Digimon Savers Movies Blu-ray

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 13,688

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
22 years later, and we still don't know why Takeru's D-3 is green. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can't wait to learn more about the new movie. I wonder if we'll see any character art soon.

Digiforlife

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Digimon Savers is the only digimon series which I laughed all the way to the end because of the absurdity of human punching the crap out of digimon XD XD

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
22 years later, and we still don't know why Takeru's D-3 is green. 🤷🏻‍♂️
...because his original Digivice glows green when he evolves into Holyangemon?

That wasn't ever really in question.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
His original Digivice glows yellow, actually. They changed it to green in 02 so that Iori could have yellow.

HeroWars

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
It bit weird cause all season 1 crest color fit their digimon color

Maybe they want to switch Takeru t-shirt color with his crest color Lol

Yume

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was sort of joking before, but the color choice is really weird. Sure, Iori's D3 could only be Yellow, but why not give orange or white to Takeru? Specially when you could easily switch Ken's D-3 to green after the Digimon Kaiser arc.

Regarding Savers, I always remember those weird first 13/14 episodes, and how the show basically gets way better after them. And today I most associate it with the season that inspired Digimon Masters Online.

Mattman324

I come from the net
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
oh, yeah, and, savers kino, of course

His original Digivice glows yellow, actually. They changed it to green in 02 so that Iori could have yellow.
Is that yellow? It honestly looks somewhere between yellow and green to me. In fact, it looks a lot closer to the way the D3s look during Shakkoumon's evolution sequence, which is closer to yellow than green I'll grant, but also very different from Iori's base color.

Come to think of it, their Jogress is probably the biggest reason they changed it, if both had different shades of yellow it'd look worse when the D3s changed colors. It's not like having two that are the same color would have stopped them otherwise, even as soon as the literal next series they had two pink ones.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
02! ...Really interesting and it has Miyako which is my favorite from the series. But then there's the finale. Now Savers. That's a fun idea. Guy punches Digimon, actual adults as characters which are a surprise(ha ha), interesting ideas. & an actual human villain that is a villain. Fun series.

TMS

Super Moderator
Staff
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Cardcaptor Takato

Red shirt
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I've come to enjoy Adventure 02 more over the years with it's focus more on the real world and I've come to enjoy the 02 characters more, especially Yolei who is my favorite of the 02 cast. I liked they kept the OG characters around but they didn't take too much of the spotlight. I also liked Ken as a villain and his whole arc with Wormmon and Arukenimon and Mummymon were also fun villains. I also liked Blackwargreymon's arc. I do think they kind of rush the ending but I'm not as mad about the epilogue as I used to be when I was younger and there's some things I like about it now as I'm older.

Data Squad is one of my top favorite seasons. It has a slow start but really gets exciting when they go to the Digital World. I like Marcus as a classic shonen protag and his dynamic with Agumon and Yoshi and Thomas and Gaomon is one of my favorite Digimon from this season and also BanchoLeomon. I also like the Bridge Bunny characters in Data Squad which feels like an expansion of the Hypnos idea in Tamers and also gives me Macross Bridge Bunny vibes. I also liked the villains and Data Squad showed that humans can be cruel to the Digimon too instead of just having Digimon as the villains. The Japanese version also has some of my favorite Wada Kouji songs, particularly with the second OP.

Mon-Ohma

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
02, a show that had something of a tough act to follow. And one that ultimately didn’t seem to know quite what it wanted to be, feeling more like a mixture of different ideas and concepts with no proper direction to tie them all together. Something that is evident once we get past the Kaiser’s arc. The new kids don’t really have to face the same level of difficulty and challenges as the original team, what with being able to come and go from the Digital World as they please.
Armour was a fun alternative to normal evolution, but sadly got left behind over time when it could have perhaps been implemented into the Jogress Forms.

Nothing has changed about Savers. It’s still my least liked season, one that tries to give you the impression of being more mature then it actually is.
Punching Digimon is an eye-rolling and poorly implemented gimmick, that only gets dafter with higher levels.
The main human protagonist and villain were poorly written and constantly grated on me. Yoshino outside of one episode of (empty) development is just there. Whilst Touma feels like someone ran down a checklist of angsty rival cliches. Dead mother, unpleasant father, cute sick sister, etc.
And both the Royal Knights/Yiggy felt tacked on as endgame opponents.
Overall, I much preferred the Next Manga.