With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exactly were the International Chosen Children good for?

I come from the net

What exactly were the International Chosen Children good for?

I get the marketing stand point: Any kid can be a chosen child and have a digimon partner. Look at all these Digimon! But from a story stand point? The homeostasis selected those 8 kids out of a bunch of kids who witnessed Greymon fight Parrotmon at Hikarigoaka to fight against the darkness that created The Dark Masters. Then it selected Ken and Ryo to deal with Milleniumon. Then it selected Daisuke, Iori, and Miyako (and re recruited Takeru and Hikari) to deal with the Kaiser and whoever was pulling his strings. But the kids around the globe? They uh kind of helped out but not really when Digimon started coming to earth but not really. They obviously weren’t going to do much in the Digital World when evolution is blocked and none of them could regularly access the digital world on a day to day basis like the 2002 Japanese team. I can’t think what makes them “Chosen” and not randomly selected to have a virtual pet monster in the flesh after winning the Digital Lottery to say nothing of Oikawa and the dark seed kids getting Digimon to feel better about themselves.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I would assume they had their own adventures and dealt with stuff that happened in their own countries, and probably popped up in the DW from time to time to help out.

I always figured it was just to show the world(s) was bigger than just the main 8(12). Sure, the main kids are still the ones stopping the world from being destroyed, and Koshiro being a super genius gives them the easiest access to the digital world, but they're still a small group of kids. The digital world is a big, crazy place, it's not hard to guess that you'd still have anomalies where digimon pop out into the real world from all over the place, and they aren't all going to end up in Tokyo. So naturally, to deal with these occasional breeches, you'd need kids all over the Earth.

All headcanon of course, but it's what I go with.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    Those international chosen children is pretty much mascot figures to appeal to international digimon fanbase I reckon...

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaioumon View Post
    I always figured it was just to show the world(s) was bigger than just the main 8(12). Sure, the main kids are still the ones stopping the world from being destroyed, and Koshiro being a super genius gives them the easiest access to the digital world, but they're still a small group of kids. The digital world is a big, crazy place, it's not hard to guess that you'd still have anomalies where digimon pop out into the real world from all over the place, and they aren't all going to end up in Tokyo. So naturally, to deal with these occasional breeches, you'd need kids all over the Earth.All headcanon of course, but it's what I go with.
    This probably makes the most sense. Assuming the Digital World is the same size of the earth there’s only so much ground the Japanese team could have covered. Though the international kids would have to rely on random portals opening unlike the 2002 Japanese team that had free access.I suppose the kids also would of had adventures in the parts of the digital world the Kaiser hadn’t conquered with his dark towers.

I thought it was neat to have them. However did they too have crests, and if so were they the same crests as the main 8 or are the crests unique to the main 8? I see there's a purpose for other humans to have Digimon partners, but I've always wondered about the crests.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman91 View Post
    I thought it was neat to have them. However did they too have crests, and if so were they the same crests as the main 8 or are the crests unique to the main 8? I see there's a purpose for other humans to have Digimon partners, but I've always wondered about the crests.
    Nothing really indicated that they did. Most of the kids seemed to have Digimon who couldn’t evolve past Adult aside from the odd kid who got a Perfect level Digimon as a partner (I believe Jureimon and Hangyomon were among the international partner Digimon?) .Besides why force the A team to give up their crest power if kids all over the world had them?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I don't believe there was a partner Jyureimon. The one they fought in New York was a wild Digimon. The Hangyomon may or may not have been a partner; it's hard to determine from its brief appearance.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I would assume that they were mainly supposed to act as support wherever Digimon appeared in the Real World that the Japanese kids couldn't get to in time. They obviously weren't meant to be very powerful or we wouldn't have seen a majority of them going up to the Adult stage tops. Wallace with his Digimental of Fate was probably the strongest of all of them and he doesn't even feature in the series!

From a marketing standpoint, the reason they exist is obvious enough. But in-universe it was meant to illustrate that there was a growing number of kids around the world who also had been Chosen. I think the Homeostasis was opening up to the idea of having more children around the world partnered with Digimon so that humankind could reach the level of understanding we see in the epilogue where everyone in the world has a partner.

And in time if they grew strong enough perhaps they wouldn't have to always rely on the Japanese team to save the day.

Visit Xadhoom's Youtube Channel Add Xadhoom on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    I get the marketing stand point: Any kid can be a chosen child and have a digimon partner. Look at all these Digimon! But from a story stand point?
    This includes the Adventure kids just as much. Their main character status doesn't have any bearing on their in-universe status relative to the other Digidestined.

The homeostasis selected those 8 kids out of a bunch of kids who witnessed Greymon fight Parrotmon at Hikarigoaka to fight against the darkness that created The Dark Masters.
    There were only those eight kids there. Homeostasis's "recruit everybody and their mother" approach has never changed.

the kids around the globe? They uh kind of helped out but not really when Digimon started coming to earth but not really.
    They helped as far as able. The Cherrymon fight, for one. Defeating MaloMyotismon was even a collective effort.

They obviously weren’t going to do much in the Digital World when evolution is blocked
    You'd probably be surprised how much a few dozen extra bodies to throw at a problem can change.

I can’t think what makes them “Chosen” and not randomly selected to have a virtual pet monster in the flesh after winning the Digital Lottery
    The problem is that you're headcanoning a distinction.

"Have a Digimon, save both worlds" is the full of the job description. It's what everyone does - the main twelve" just go about it with more raw power than most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast