With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 15- Yu Yu Hakusho

Leadup to Kizuna Week 15- Yu Yu Hakusho

After Super Gals some classic shonen seemed like a good choice...

Yu Yu Hakusho!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Some violence, some language, super mild fanservice. Basically along the lines of most longer action shonen franchises.

The series can be watched on the following officially:
    Subbed and dubbed on Funimation
    Subbed on tubiTV.

This one we will say is 'officially' one we will do for 2 weeks and it'll be 25 episodes, although next week will get a movie or other short content for those who end up not interested in the show (or who just have the time.)

Yu Yu Hakusho begins with something most shonen shows don't... the lead dying.

YYH begins with Yusuke Urameshi dying, having saved the life of a young child by shoving him out of the way of an incoming car. He's informed by Botan, who brings souls to the afterlife for judging, that Yusuke saving the kid had caused everyone a bit of a problem. It hadn't been decided where he would go when he would die, as it had been assumed that Yusuke would not even attempt to help the child, so his death has caught everyone by surprised. To deal with this problem Yusuke is given a chance at getting his life back.

And that's before the action and the real weirdness even starts...

Yu Yu Hakusho is a pretty great action show that is easy and fun to watch, and has some pretty impressive battles as the show goes on (although many of the most impressive ones don't show up in the batch we'll be watching, as it does a number of smaller battles, including a decent amount of world building.)

It being a personal favorite has lead to me using Koenma from the series as one of my main avatars I use in a number of places.

Plus, it was just announced a month ago that 2 OVA episodes that came with a recent Japanese Blu-ray box will be getting an English release soon.

As for Digimon connections... YYH actually has a practically endless list. Even cutting it down to a decent number was coming up with a massive list (including a few writers and character designers even.) At some point I decided to just do one each that I found interesting from the Japanese and English:

Nobuyuki Hiyami is Hiei in YYH. In Digimon he was BlackWarGreymon in 02 and Seraphimon in Frontier.

Kyle Hebert was a number of characters in YYH, including 3 different fighters in various tournaments in the show. For Digimon he's done quite a bit. For Data Squad he was Belphemon (plus Beelzebumon in the game), in Fusion he was Ballistamon, Dorulumon, Greymon, and many others, and in tri. he was all of Agumon's evolutions.

I've embedded the English version of the 1st intro as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
    Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
    Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
    Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
    Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
    Week 4 Movie- Redline
    Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
    Week 6- Voltron
    Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Week 8- Laid-Back Camp
    Week 9- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Week 10- Yowamushi Pedal
    Week 11- Demon King Daimao
    Week 12 (onkei Guest Slot!)- Aggretsuko
    Week 13- Kill la Kill
    Week 14- Super Gals
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net
    Oh I've seen this one too. Airing on Toonami, then... I forget but it was late, this is the older work of the creator of Hunter X Hunter and the reason why he takes so many breaks in between the chapters. Not sure if it's popular in South America or if it's just the person I used to know from there that loved it. But it's a good show. Very Shounen.

Completely digital Velocifaptor's Avatar
    Sometimes the Real World, sometimes the Dream World, although I prefer the Digital World
    Follow Velocifaptor On Twitter Add Velocifaptor on Facebook Visit Velocifaptor's Youtube Channel Add Velocifaptor on Steam Add Velocifaptor on Google+
    Oh man, this brings back so many memories! I used to watch this on Animax, back when it used to air dubbed, and back when Animax was still a thing in India. Watching solo, I don't think I ever got beyond the first few episodes of the Dark Martial Arts Tournament Arc, but it's a doozy for sure. Also, is it just me, or is Yusuke's English VA also the VA for Marcus Damon in Digimon Data Squad?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Little late commenting on this one, though I did finish watching on time. It's one of those series that I've always heard about but never really felt inclined to watch on my own. Turned out I liked it pretty well. Fun characters, action, and humor, and a few moving scenes too, like the wake mentioned earlier in the thread. You can see why it's a classic of the genre. I'll be finishing it up eventually.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net