With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tailmon->Examon. Canon?

I'm a Maniac
    I dont believe these types of evolution to be cannon at all.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnalord View Post
    I dont believe these types of evolution to be cannon at all.
    If it’s from any official material released by Bandai or Toei it is canon regardless of what you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by DontStopPataPata View Post
    The original V-Pets had lines like Gabumon>Garurumon>MetalMamemon

I wouldn’t fret over trying to make sense of evolution lines in the wider canon.
    Yeah this. I feel like most of the time that we're trying to decide whether an evolutionary line is "canon" or not is based off the theme or aesthetics, when from the very beginning of the franchise they've always had seemingly random Digimon at each stage for any of the starters you had. If I'm not mistaken, the creators have never said that all evolutions across the games or other media were not canon, so I don't think there's really a reason to believe otherwise.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Not only have the creators never said that Digivolutions outside the anime were not canon, they have said something to the effect of any Digimon can become any other Digimon in theory.

The only reason folks have hangups about "canon" Digivolutions is because we're so used to the linear Evolution from franchises like Pokémon that Digimon's Tamagotchi influenced branching system is completely foreign to fans.
    Last edited by Chimera-gui; 11-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.

I come from the net
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera-gui View Post
    The only reason folks have hangups about "canon" Digivolutions is because we're so used to the linear Evolution from franchises like Pokémon that Digimon's Tamagotchi influenced branching system is completely foreign to fans.
    I do think the anime at least tries to have more aesthetically sound evolution chains than the wider canon (You would probably never see a Biyomon evolve into a Leomon in any anime for example) however any evolution line released by Bandai is canon. Is it weird and nonsensical that Agumon can evolve into Devimon who can then evolve into Skullgreymon? Yes. Is it canon? Also yes

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    True, Adventure tried to have lines that were at least loosely connected by theme while Tamers and to a lesser degree 02 introduced linear Digivolution with Data Squad giving a mix of loosely themed and linear lines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12