With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 13- Kill la Kill

Leadup to Kizuna Week 13- Kill la Kill

After Aggretsuko from onkei calmed things down, it felt like the next show needed to pick up the action a bit...

Kill la Kill

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Violence, language, fanservice, talking clothes, all the good things people crave.

The series can be watched on the following officially:
    Subbed and dubbed on Crunchyroll
    Subbed and dubbed on Netflix
    Subbed and dubbed on Hulu

We'll do 10 episodes, a bit under half the series.

Kill la Kill is decently well known at this point, it's streamed a bunch of places, aired on Toonami, got a recent video game (and is about to get it's second home video release in the US) and the show also does an especially good job of framing what to expect with episode 1.

Ryuko carries half of a giant pair of scissors that she uses as a weapon, and is looking for the murderer of her father, who she knows has the other half of the scissors. She transfers to a school that has something who seemingly knows the identity of the killer. When she enters she finds craziness, including but not limited to, school uniforms that give superpowers (and super outfits that don't cover much), along with her new best friend Mako.

As for Digimon connections... Kill la Kill has a pretty massive list, so here is one each from Japanese and English, since I had considered doing a handful from each, and still ended up with more than I wanted to pare down...:

Nobuyuki Hiyama is Uzu Sanageyama in the Japanese version of Kill la Kill! In 02 he was BlackWarGreymon, in Frontier he was Seraphimon, and he showed up for a few episodes of Xros Wars as SlashAngemon.

Derek Stephen Prince is Guts the dog in the English version of Kill la Kill! In Adventure he was DemiDevimon and Piedmon, in 02 he was Veemon and his various evolutions and Ken. In tamers he was Impmon and Beelzebumon, in Frontier he was Dynasmon, Grumblemon, and a few others, and in Fusion he ended up being Jeremy, along with a few other characters.

I've embedded the shows intro as a preview:

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
    Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
    Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
    Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
    Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
    Week 4 Movie- Redline
    Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
    Week 6- Voltron
    Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Week 8- Laid-Back Camp
    Week 9- Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Week 10- Yowamushi Pedal
    Week 11- Demon King Daimao
    Week 12 (onkei Guest Slot!)- Aggretsuko
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Ah, I like Kill La Kill. I think this is an unpopular opinion but I actually enjoy it more than Gurren Lagann.

So, some more Digimon voice cast connections I know of from the English dub are:
    -Steve Staley as Houka Inumuta (played Ryo in Tamers and Koji in Frontier)
    -Matthew Mercer as Aikuro Mikisugi (played Reapmon/Beelzemon and Omnimon in Fusion)
    -Patrick Seitz as Ira Gamagoori (played Starmon, Blastmon, Olegmon and IceDevimon in Fusion)
    -Grant George as Uzu Sanageyama (played Dorbickmon in Fusion)
    -Michael Sorich as Barazo Mankanshoku (Mako's dad) (played Elecmon, Andromon, Zudomon and that one Gazimon with sunglasses in Adventure, that weirdo possesed owl in Tamers, Neemon in Frontier plus Deckerdramon and Damemon in Fusion)
    -
    Benjamin Diskin as Kaneo Takarada (aka DOSH KING) (played Shoutmon and Cutemon in Fusion)

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    I once snagged the entire series on Blu-ray for quite cheap at MCM London (it was either 25 or 15 for all three parts but I don't remember too well). Haven't got around to finishing it yet, but from what I saw it was pretty great. It's completely wacky and over the top, and probably the definitive Trigger series.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    This show is one of my favorites.
    It's pretty bonkers and OTT in all the right ways, and the visuals are dripping with personality.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

I come from the net
    I enjoyed it. It was insane, crazy, and I just found it entertaining. It's a good watch.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I went ahead and watched the first 12 episodes, since breaking off in the middle of a battle didn't sit right with me. This was an... interesting show. Just starting out, its constantly frenetic nature was a little on the annoying side, though I got used to it as I continued watching, and it wound up being rather enjoyable. Very flashy fight scenes. I'll definitely be finishing it after the leadup ends. One unique thing about it, which I saw pointed out somewhere a while before watching the show, was its sort of parodic take on the sexualization so common in anime.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net