With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Modding a D3 - How to Silence the Pedometer?

Ain't got no mojo... TheRedRanger's Avatar

Modding a D3 - How to Silence the Pedometer?

Hey guys,
    So after hours scouring the net for info, I've come up blank and need to ask for your help.

I have a couple of D3s that I absolutely love. But unless I'm holed away in private somewhere, the clicking of the pedometer is majorly loud (guess we didn't notice/care about these things as kids huh?) So I'm looking to open mine up and do a little tweak.

I'm figuring that (from the clicking sound) there's a hard plastic piece striking against a surface of some sort in order to register the "step"? If that's the case, I figure that opening it, applying the thinnest piece of silicone to the part that does the 'striking', letting it dry and then rescrewing it together should solve it.... The silicone will be soft enough, even thinly, to disperse the sound and effectively silence it, while not being an interference to the step register.

But what little I *have* found seems to imply that once you've opened one of these up, you're likely to be unable to get it to work again. Does anyone here have any experience or photos for me to take a look at?

I don't mind risking one of my D3s to do this, but I really feel it's a waste to try it without at least something to go off........

Any thoughts and/or constructive criticism greatly appreciated! ;-)

Sincerely,
    RedRanger
    A Chosen Child is never truly alone...
    Australian Digidestined!

I come from the net
    What kind of D3 are they? The old English ones?

On the original Pendulum, the hammer touching the striking plate actually closes a circuit, so putting a piece of silicone in between would stop it working. On the Pendulum 20th, the hammer is just for the sound and you can take it out.

Ohhhhhhh shoot. Yeah the old English ones (or an old JP one too). Okay that makes sense...

So close, and yet so far lol

I come from the net
    I modded an original Pendulum a long time ago. The hammer and striking plate are both screwed on, so it's possible to take them out and screw wires there instead; and as long as you don't mess up, this is reversible. I started out with a pushbutton and resistor outside the case, then went for some kind of electronic switch controlled by my computer to test how the Pendulum actually counts shakes. (It turns out, not in a way that much resembles the physical reality of the hammer movements. The Pendulum Progress and Pendulum X were greatly improved on that point.) If the English D-3 is the same, there might be potential there.

I think I remember someone saying the anniversary D-3 works like the anniversary Pendulum. Maybe someone can confirm? If so, for the neatest/easiest silent D-3, you could buy an anniversary D-3 and take the hammer out.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post

On the original Pendulum, the hammer touching the striking plate actually closes a circuit, so putting a piece of silicone in between would stop it working. On the Pendulum 20th, the hammer is just for the sound and you can take it out.
    I didn't know they made D3's in Anglo-Saxon :P

I feel so bad not checking for replied for so long!!! Thanks for the input BladeSabre.

I've not seen any info about which type of hammer/plate setup the English D3s have, but I may have to just open it up and play around. the sound is already busted on it (previous owner) so if I break it, meh.

Wish I could afford an anniversary D3 lol that would be the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeSabre View Post

I didn't know they made D3's in Anglo-Saxon :P
    How very drole..... :-P
    Last edited by Vande; 11-14-2019 at 05:40 AM. Reason: double post merge