With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digimon in the future

Ain't got no mojo...

Digimon in the future

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if the new film last evolution is going to be the last be we see of the original eight digidestined, are bandai going to end their story with that movie?

I really doubt it. Adventure's ending was supposedly written to be a closing for the original anime series, but they decided make a movie featuring Omnimon (Our War Game)--taking place after the original events.
    Then there was Adventure 02 and the events between the first series. 02 had more of a "definite" ending, appearing as if the big bad was beaten for good, and even showing what happened to the kids in the future.

It could've worked for a conclusion for Adventure (as the later series were about completely different casts), seeing what happens to them 25 years later, but there was still plenty of events in between, since that ending is only the far future. The 4th movie takes place after the events of 02, and then there was Tri years later. Last Evolution Kizuna could very well be not the end for the Adventure series, there's even bonus shorts that supposedly are related to the events.

Even then, doesn't mean it has to end. They just want to write the conclusions in a way that doesn't leave the series in a cliffhanger.
    Last edited by Cenrji; 10-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    They'll probably take a break for a while, but they'll prob pop back up in a few years for the 25th anniversary.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    I'm more leaning towards "spin-offs" rather than continuation from previous series. I do think after The Last Evolution it would mark the end of main storyline for Tai & Co. Of course it is helped by the Digimon multiverse they could use to do spinoffs. I'm very interested to see some sort of prequel with Daigo & Maki's group though

I do think it would be pretty cool though, if the next movie on the 25th Anniversary was more or less crossed with all series, like how Xros Wars did with bringing them together at it's finale.
    But then again, I am pretty mixed with that series' decision for that. I feel like Hunters really just did that to save itself from being complete garbage...
    Last edited by Cenrji; 10-05-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiemon827 View Post
    I'm more leaning towards "spin-offs" rather than continuation from previous series. I do think after The Last Evolution it would mark the end of main storyline for Tai & Co. Of course it is helped by the Digimon multiverse they could use to do spinoffs. I'm very interested to see some sort of prequel with Daigo & Maki's group though
    Same. I believe Naruto Shippuden made an animated special based on that novel focusing on the Itachi guy so I can see Digimon Adventure digging deeper into the Original Digidestined's past as well as what happened to the ones outside of Daigo and Maki.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenrji View Post
    I do think it would be pretty cool though, if the next movie on the 25th Anniversary was more or less crossed with all series, like how Xros Wars did with bringing them together at it's finale. But then again, I am pretty mixed with that series' decision for that.
    Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse, so I guess you could apply the same feelings towards that.
    Last edited by DigiKing Tamer; 10-05-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Every and any series can be rewritten or rebooted, all it takes is some interest or good ratings to keep it going, remember it happened to many other anime, so why not Adventure verse. I personally wouldn't be surprised if in a decade or so they reboot it completely with a brand new storyline (or maybe that happens right after this Adventure film)

Quote Originally Posted by Samujagi View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just wondering if the new film last evolution is going to be the last be we see of the original eight digidestined, are bandai going to end their story with that movie?
    As long as it makes money it's unlikely that it will be the very last we see of them although it might be the last we see of them for a while (tie-in products not withstanding) simply because a title like "last evolution" does imply some sort of commitment to end at least something that I hope they wouldn't betray too soon.

[BTW, I reserve my right to be annoyed that a thread titled "The future of Digimon" is mainly concerned with only Digimon Adventure]

Quote Originally Posted by DigiKing Tamer View Post
    I can see Digimon Adventure digging deeper into the Original Digidestined's past as well as what happened to the ones outside of Daigo and Maki.
    That feels like something extremely unlikely after they already fully showcased their final battle and ultimate outcome of their quest.
    And especially by revealing that they battled the very same Dark Masters that the later chosen dealt with they basically wasted their chance to introduce any interesting or creative ancient villain or something if they tried exploring it more. And since we basically know that they didn't get in contact with their partners afterwards it's not like they are many interesting Digimon Stories to tell about them for that timeframe.

Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse
    It actually is not related to it at all, quite the opposite actually. The main gimmick of the manga's cosmology (which doesn't exactly play well with the rest of the canon) is that there might be no multiverse and the Digital World is a single world that periodically rewrites its physical laws and history while still remaining the same universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenrji View Post
    I really doubt it. Adventure's ending was supposedly written to be a closing for the original anime series, but they decided make a movie featuring Omnimon (Our War Game)--taking place after the original events.
    Then there was Adventure 02 and the events between the first series. 02 had more of a "definite" ending, appearing as if the big bad was beaten for good, and even showing what happened to the kids in the future.
    There are a bunch of inaccuries here.... the staff knew that Adventure would get a sequel while it was airing, so the ending was never intended to be super final. In fact the epilogue of 02 (or at least parts of it, we don't know exactly) was originally supposed to be the epilogue of the Adventure itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samujagi View Post
    As long as it makes money it's unlikely that it will be the very last we see of them although it might be the last we see of them for a while (tie-in products not withstanding) simply because a title like "last evolution" does imply some sort of commitment to end at least something that I hope they wouldn't betray too soon.

[BTW, I reserve my right to be annoyed that a thread titled "The future of Digimon" is mainly concerned with only Digimon Adventure]
    Well I for one would encourage Toei to keep making original Digimon stories! Who knows, we might at least get another Tamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Last I checked, the Xros Wars manga is apparently heavily related to the multiverse
    It actually is not related to it at all, quite the opposite actually. The main gimmick of the manga's cosmology (which doesn't exactly play well with the rest of the canon) is that there might be no multiverse and the Digital World is a single world that periodically rewrites its physical laws and history while still remaining the same universe.
    Huh, that's actually pretty interesting when you put it like that. I wonder if this will ever be touched upon again?

As with most media franchises, if it makes money and there's good reception/ratings, they'll find a way to put out more stories. For instance, I'm sure if Tamers merch was flying off the shelves like crazy they'd strongly consider doing a sequel.

Edit: actually, is there a thread about the future of Digimon as a franchise in general?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast