With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Digimon Chronicle X Update- Chapter 18!

I come from the net Seymour Butz's Avatar
    Donít get defensive. My point is that it looks cribbed from generic fantasy anime motifs, which are themselves heavily informed by the clerical dress of Asian religions ó from the cylindrical box hat to the flaring mantle to the straight red borders ó rather than from those of a Catholic priest; unlike Holy Angemonís face plate, and also unlike Dukemonís armour, which, however fantastical, very obviously takes its inspiration from that of a Mediśval knight, rather than that of a samurai. Iím sure this escapes the notice of people who arenít particularly acquainted with these differences, but for those of us who are, itís much more impressive when the designers reach for a deep cut.
    Last edited by Seymour Butz; 10-02-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Junior Commander
    You've missed my point. Regardless of historical inaccuracies stemming from pop-culture tropes and fantasy stereotypes of priestwear, Angewomon X is clearly and obviously meant to evoke Western religious garments. You wouldn't mistake her for a Buddhist monk or a Taoist priest; nor would you mistake her as a Deva or a Xianxia immortal, instead of a Western angel.

For example, horned helmets aren't historically accurate to vikings, yet they still evoke viking clothing. Ninjas don't actually dress in the stereotypical black ninja garb, but they are still clearly ninjas. A holy angel wearing fantasy-style saintly robes is still clearly meant to evoke a Western saintess or priestess.

But that only works because she also has angel wings, angel wing decorations, and a cross right smack dab in the middle of her face ó all of which were true of the original AngeWomon. Now in that context, sure, the first thing that comes to mind is a Catholic priest. Iím not contesting that. Iím just saying that the outfit kind of sucks because without the aforementioned ó if you plucked out all the feathers and hid that cross ó those clothes would absolutely evoke this hat or this hat on the right or these robes just as much as this or this or arguably even this. They evoke Western religious garments, in other words, not because they actually resemble Western religious garments, but because they attach other Western religious imagery to otherwise generic robes. I donít expect painstaking historical accuracy ó Iím not asking that her clothes turn black for Good Friday, red for Pentecost, and pink for the fourth Sunday of Lent and the third Sunday of Advent ó but this shit here isnít much better than if you had taken a judgeís black robe or a doctorís white lab coat and slapped a crucifix on it, even though those would also bring to mind Ďpriestly garmentsí if you put them on a literal angel. Itís the angel motif thatís doing all the heavy lifting here, while the priest motif is generic to the point of just being along for the ride, which I think is a real shame. Thatís my gripe.
    Last edited by Seymour Butz; 10-03-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Junior Commander
    I think you'll particularly reaching with those examples. Angewomon's hat is nothing like those examples. It's not box-shaped or flat; its front half is clearly pointed upwards. If you think about its frontal profile, it should form a rounded diamond-like silhouette, very similar to a mitre.

As for the robes, those robes aren't particularly any more similar to Angewomon's robes than the priests' robes, which I suppose is your point. It's very clear that the designer focused more on a "holy goddess" aesthetic, rather than referencing any realistic or historical priestwear.

I really really hope that this break from Royal Knights shenanigans lasts for more than one chapter, the exploits of lower level characters are in amyn ways more interesting than generically overpowered characters trying to generically overpower each other.
    I want to at least know if Wizarmon X will actually survive the fight against Vamdemon X.

Angewomon X looks nice. It's good to see that they didn't feel the need to make her any more revealing than her original design, although the overall design is kind of a mess of too many details in too few colors that just kind of blend together weirdly. Although maybe the effect will be less disorienting on a simpler background.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenrji View Post
    That's actually... kind of odd to hear that they're revealing it pretty late with Angewomon X. Given that we already had X-Antibody forms for Plotmon, Tailmon, and Holydramon since uhh... 2003. And then there's also Ophanimon: Falldown Mode's X-Antibody revealed this year. Still cool to see an almost complete line of Xs.

Edit (10/2/19): Oh yeah, I somehow forgot about Nefertimon X. Whose X's form is also from 2003. Really just makes it stranger to see.
    Itís not really that weird when considering that the majority first waves of X-Digimon, just like the current ones, debuted as part of the original Pendulum X V-pets. And there are a limited amount of spots on the roster and the lines donít need to match the anime ones.
    Of course the Agumon and Gabumon lines got the full treatment but for everyone else there was never much of an expectation for completeness. Some members of ďfamousĒ evo lines got X-variants but rarely all. Palmon and Guilmon are about the only other complete X-lines we got.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I have to say, I'm really excited for the X2, but I just can't seem to get enthused for this one. I like all the new Rookies, Champions, and Ultimates, and I'll probably end up pre ordering anyway, but it's odd and a little silly to me that most of the Megas are just the Royal Knights again. The X2 is legitimately letting us raise Demon Lords, which to my knowledge is a first for many of them; I also never had a v-pet with Impmon and Ofanimon on them before, and they even feature off the wall characters like Bagramon and Duskmon from Frontier! This third one, despite all the cool new designs of the lower forms, just feels a little stale. Maybe I'm still just more excited for the X2, or maybe I'm missing something.

I come from the net
    This is interesting. And nice to see. Can't really figure out what's coming next can we? ...Though the V-Pets might help. heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by YongYoKyo View Post
    It's not box-shaped or flat; its front half is clearly pointed upwards. If you think about its frontal profile, it should form a rounded diamond-like silhouette, very similar to a mitre.
    Look closer. The hat itself doesnít actually come to a point at the top; itís just a rounded lobe. The only point is the cross rising above the rest. You could maybe get a vague impression of a mitre from the front, but itís ruined by the sides which absolutely make the whole thing boxlike, giving an overall impression thatís somewhere between an actual mitre and the other hats I linked. It would look at home on any caster class in any Asian MMO, especially with those red lines on it.

Quote Originally Posted by YongYoKyo View Post
    As for the robes, those robes aren't particularly any more similar to Angewomon's robes than the priests' robes, which I suppose is your point. It's very clear that the designer focused more on a "holy goddess" aesthetic, rather than referencing any realistic or historical priestwear.
    Yeah which is boring. I want to be clear that my complaint is about a lack of historical inspiration, not a lack of historical accuracy; if accuracy were my gripe, Iíd be bitching about the fact that sheís a woman. Of course these digimon designs donít follow their real-world cues with fidelity, nor would I want them to do so; it is fantasy. But DIGIMON isnít YUGIŌ; its designs are usually more radical, more imaginative, due largely to a habit of eschewing generic fantasy schlock in order to take design cues from real-world cultures, myths, and folklore ó you know, the things which canonically inspire the evolution of digimon in-universe ó and much of it awfully obscure, which gives us delightfully creative designs treating us to new shapes, patterns, and concepts we wouldnít have imagined otherwise. The Catholic priesthood involves a tonne of stuff like that, and sprinkling in one or two of them would have made for a much more interesting design than dressing her up like the bitch from .hack. Nor is this kind of thing beyond the means of our humble character designers: the six wings on Angemon, the progressively covered face of his evolutions, and the animal faces on Ophanimon were all pretty deep cuts for a Japanese company in the late Nineties and early Aughts. They failed to live up to that legacy here.
    Last edited by Seymour Butz; 10-04-2019 at 02:01 AM.

I come from the net
    The large images of Angewomon X and Tailmon X released!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234