With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digimon media lost to western fans

There are ten English results for it on Google so I guess it's not entirely "lost", but there was apparently an online game from 2004 called Digimon Internet Battle that seems to be pretty forgotten by... well just about everyone, but especially Western fans. It doesn't even have any entries on Wikimon or the Digimon Wiki. From skimming the little info I can find of it (even searching in Japanese only gives 131 results), it was some kind of online battle simulator with some social elements.

Red shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman91 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bearmon View Post
    As the title suggests is there Digimon media in which the western fan base has almost no clue existed. For instance the thread "manga predating V-Tamer" by user G=SANtos found lots of niche, undiscovered mini manga in a few Digimon guide books, and with things like Digimon Legendary Skies and Battle!! Digital Monsters Manhua, it got me thinking; are there guide books and niche comics and stuff like that that the fandom doesn't know exists? I know that question is a bit of a paradox, because if you don't know something exists, how could you know it exists. Or has every bit of Digimon media been documented by the fanbase?
    Not many people know anything outside Adventure and Tamers exist. And it's not like Toei and Bandai haven't been trying. Since the failure of Digimon Fusion no Western studio wants to pick up anything Digimon related that's original. And Adventure Tri has almost completely killed any Digimon return at all to the Western World. I think it will take either a live action movie or a series of American produced graphic novels to revive interest into the brand in here in the West.
    I'm not talking about the general audience per say, but more of the fan base. The kind of fans like us who choose to spend our time on Digimon forums. Of course the average person doesn't know about anything beyond the anime, and a few well known games.

Red shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    There are ten English results for it on Google so I guess it's not entirely "lost", but there was apparently an online game from 2004 called Digimon Internet Battle that seems to be pretty forgotten by... well just about everyone, but especially Western fans. It doesn't even have any entries on Wikimon or the Digimon Wiki. From skimming the little info I can find of it (even searching in Japanese only gives 131 results), it was some kind of online battle simulator with some social elements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman91 View Post
    Adventure Tri has almost completely killed any Digimon return at all to the Western World.
    A bold claim, considering Kizuna's Western release has already been confirmed.
    I was so upset when Cyber Sleuth, Next Order, Hacker's Memory, Links, ReArise, the Digivolving Spirits, and the DM20 all skipped the west. And how dare they say they're not bringing over Survive, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    ...Actually on topic, I don't think there's anything known that's as obscure as the things bearmon mentioned in the original post. There could always be more out there, especially given all the different localizations. And even things in English, like the comics, aren't really documented.
    Yeah, This is more of what i was thinking when i made the thread. Things like Cyber Sleuth, phone apps, and the Digivolving spirits aren't lost to the western fan base because we can always import the toys and v-pets, and the games are exist. It's more things like The Digimon: internet battle game, Digimon force three, and those Panini comics which gave backstory to that Hypnos guy in Tamers, a lot of those are not available, yet we know they exist. So really it's more of; what parts of the franchise do we know exist, but very little about considering that Digimon is such a huge franchise.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    It'd be nice if someone could document what's in Encounters and New Century, since there will probably be interesting stuff in those. I tried, but you need a Chinese social media account, which needs a Chinese mobile number.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    With lost media, I really wish someone could get their hands on those UK exclusive comics that expanded on the anime and did a sequel to 02 in which Dragomon and MetalEtemon return, it seems to be something that no one on the internet really has access to and isn't documented
    Glances to her pile of comics. Glances to a lack of scanner. They are defo the UK ones that I have though (not all of them, but a nice few)

Red shirt
    You would be a saint if you scanned those for us all. Those comics should be preserved, not lost to time.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by bearmon View Post
    You would be a saint if you scanned those for us all. Those comics should be preserved, not lost to time.
    Like I said, I don't have a scanner so it isn't an option. Plus I think I've scanned way more than my fair share of Digimon stuff over the years. I don't have half the free time that I used to anymore.

In terms of what didn't come to the west generally, it's mostly the V-Pet toys, a handful of games, a few movies, and of course mangas. Not much really missing, if you are only looking into the mainline Digimon stuff. Although, Re:Digitize and it's 3DS sequel are probably worth the mention. Or maybe that PSP remake of Adventure. I guess there's still some, but not too much?

But for what's recent, so far Appmon hadn't been localized, as of yet? That's a complete anime series, one game, and a manga series, also featuring its own exclusive monsters. As of now, there's not even an official Crunchyroll sub.
    Last edited by Cenrji; 10-02-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenrji View Post
    In terms of what didn't come to the west generally, it's mostly the V-Pet toys, a handful of games, a few movies, and of course mangas. Not much really missing, if you are only looking into the mainline Digimon stuff. Although, Reigitize and it's 3DS sequel are probably worth the mention. Or maybe that PSP remake of Adventure. I guess there's still some, but not too much?

But for what's recent, so far Appmon hadn't been localized, as of yet? That's a complete anime series, one game, and a manga series, also featuring its own exclusive monsters. As of now, there's not even an official Crunchyroll sub.
    But none of those things are actually lost, plenty of Western fans have seen and played all of it even without an official release, or are at least aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenrji View Post
    In terms of what didn't come to the west generally, it's mostly the V-Pet toys, a handful of games, a few movies, and of course mangas. Not much really missing, if you are only looking into the mainline Digimon stuff. Although, Reigitize and it's 3DS sequel are probably worth the mention. Or maybe that PSP remake of Adventure. I guess there's still some, but not too much?

But none of those things are actually lost, plenty of Western fans have seen and played all of it even without an official release, or are at least aware of it.
    A loss doesn't mean Westerners have zero access to them. It means it's not available in the mainstream and rare in the niche markets. It's something you have to hunt for if you know what you are looking for. It would require importing the products you want on a site that probably isn't even available in English or any Western language.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast