With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Leadup to Kizuna Week 7 (Devkyu Guest Slot!)- That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Voltron skewed much older, so now we are jumping to something almost brand new!

This week is also a guest slot, with the show chosen by (with much of the writing also being done by...) Devkyu!

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Some light fanservice on this one and a bit of fantasy violence.

The series can be watched on the following officially:
    Subbed on Crunchyroll
    Dubbed on Funimation

For this one we'll do the first overall arc of the series, the first 14 episodes. There are further episodes along with some OVAs if you want to continue watching.

The elements above are a combination of writing from Devkyu and myself, but the show description is all from her! (Slime was actually on my shortlist to end up in the leadup, so for her to pick it is extra fun!)

This is one of my favorite series and contains a lot of elements Iíve always been fond of: Monsters, more monsters, hilarious shenanigans, interesting character designs, continued worldbuilding and a protagonist I actually care about. Also monsters. Did I mention monsters? They are fluffy.

Originally I discovered the light novel while browsing around in B&N during a lunch break and the bordering ridiculous title caught my eye. A extremely refreshing take on the isekai genre, the protagonist is a slightly reclusive businessman with no romantic prospects whose coworker wants him to meet his girlfriend. That doesn't really go as planned and he gets shanked defending the two from a random stabbing and ends upÖ Reincarnated at a Slime in another world.

Rimuru then proceeds to befriend the hell out of everyone and build a peaceful monster society, sometimes via punching someone to their senses. Basically like recruiting Digimon to File City in Digimon World, each new addition adding skills and knowledge everyone can partake in.

Oh, and did I mention that monsters evolve? Because that's a thing. After gaining power, often bestowed by another giving them a Name, they have the ability to change into a variety of forms.

As for Digimon connections... there is a ton! So we'll only be going over a few (a number of which don't even show up in the episodes we'll be watching.)

Yoshimasa Hosoya, who played Yamato in tri. plays Youmu in Slime (although I don't believe he shows up in the episodes we'll be watching.)

Not to be outdone though, Natsuki Hanae, who plays Taich in tri. plays Yuki in Slime (although again... not in these episodes.)

We also get Hikari from tri., MAO! She plays Shion in Slime

Kenji Nomura plays Geld in Slime. Digimon fans would known him best as Nanimon in Adventure or Arbormon in Frontier.

Kazuya Nakai plays Laplace in Slime. In Digimon Savers he was Gaomon.

Makoto Furukawa was Yuujin in Appmon and he's Benimaru in Slime.

And we finish with Takahiro Sakurai, who plays Diablo in Slime (but not in these episodes!) In Digimon he's played a ton of characters, but is probably best known as Tentomon and his evolutions in Adventure, 02, and tri, Dorurumon and Dondokomon in Xros, and Psychemon in Hunters.

I've embedded a Youtube clip of a preview of the series.

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
    Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
    Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
    Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
    Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
    Week 4 Movie- Redline
    Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions
    Week 6- Voltron
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    In an overcrowded genre like the fabled isekai, it's nice to see something like this come along and take a fresh approach.

The Named monsters thing reminded me of the Xenoblade games, where a Unique Monster (basically, a high level boss that roams that overworld) has been named and is noticeably stronger than ordinary members of its species. So it's especially funny to me that Rimuru's village is full of 'em!

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    This is a cool series. The Digimon World comparison never occurred to me.
    I like how it's about a nice guy just trying to be a good boss and do right by everyone as best he can.
    The only think I don't like is how a lot of the monsters just look like humans after they evolve.
    Last edited by McGann; 09-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by McGann View Post
    The only think I don't like is how a lot of the monsters just look like humans after they evolve.
    It really is just like Digimon.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
    I think I'll just leave a quick bit here, as this is one I could not stand to watch. That time I got reincarnated as a slime just does not jell with me at all. At first it had my interest with the hope that it'd be subversion of the over saturated Parallel world reincarnation genre(Like in the vein of Re:Zero). However it turned too quickly into power fantasy despite the main character being the generic slime monster. He pretty much is granted such an OP board of powers by unknown entity at the start. It covers the board for him and effectively ensures he won't be in any real danger. I also just don't click with the main, I don't know if because he's too nice, or too generic, but something about him feels off. So unable to get invested in the character and generally being more power fantasy leaning was a definite turn off for me.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Alright. I went ahead and watched the whole first season this week, minus "episode 24.5" and the OVA stuff. A pretty good series, I think. I enjoyed watching it, though I can see the justice of McGann's and DaiTigris's criticisms. Of course, monsters getting prettied up into human-like forms and protagonists that are super special powerhouses are par for the course when it comes to anime. It's true that the latter issue kills the tension a little bit. In the course of the season, Rimuru only comes into direct conflict with two entities stronger than himself, the first of whom he immediately befriends and who destroys the second without effort. Something else I found odd was the occasional disconnect between the plot and the characters and conflicts shown in the openings. But despite these quibbles it was a fun enough series, and I'll be returning to it eventually after the leadup is over.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net