With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which evolutions are canon?

Ain't got no mojo...

Which evolutions are canon?

We got 3 sources
    Anime (Canon)
    Cards (???)
    Games (???)

So which of these are canon? I'm trying to design my perfect digimon's evolution line. Are all of them canon?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Yes, they're all canon to whatever medium they originated in.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Can I mix and match them? For example, cards say Witchmon digivolves to Wisemon, video games says Wisemon digivolves to BelphemonSM, so can a digimon evolve into all 3?

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    Can I mix and match them? For example, cards say Witchmon digivolves to Wisemon, video games says Wisemon digivolves to BelphemonSM, so can a digimon evolve into all 3?
    Some Digimon can evolve into way more than 3 Digimon as well. So yes it is possible.

https://withthewill.net/threads/1795...ationships-V-4

You likely want to have a look at that thread as well.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    It depend what you mean by canon. Technically everything is canon. An evoultion happened once on a card 20 years ago and hasn't happened since? well, it's still canon for the monster in particular.

But what most people tend to mean when they say "canon", is more along the lines of "story" evolutions. So, Agumon in the anime becomes Greymon - meaning Greymon is a canon Champion form of Agumon. Then you have profiles, where for example - Elecmon's official profile states it evolved from Tsunomon, so you'd probably count that too. If that's the route you wanna go, then that really makes things easier for you, since you can just check the anime, manga, games and so forth.

There's a handy handy big list of story/profile evolutions here:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Digi...ion_References

for example, say you want the anime:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Digi...nces/Adventure

this lists all the ones from season 1, then there's pages for each season and so forth.

Then you have the same for games, EG:

https://digimon.fandom.com/wiki/Digi...ferences/Story

This is for Story games, and is split between main story evolutions and in game profile evolutions. So for example, in the first Story game BlackAgumon turns into DarkTyrannomon - so in that sense, that would count as a "canon" evolution for BlackAgumon. Then the "digimon story/world ds" profile for gabumon states it evolves from Tsunomon, etc. So it's down to you what you wanna treat as "canon" or not. If you puruse these lists, I'm sure you can make your mind up for what you wanna treat as canon.

Personally, I am the opinion of story and profile evolutions counting as "canon", with anything else as filler. So for example, Agumon in Cyber Sleuth can become Greymon, GeoGreymon, Sukamon, Tyrannomon, and Meramon. Agumon canon story wise becomes Greymon in the anime, and apparently he becomes Meramon/Centarumon in the manga. And then there's some BlackAgumon profiles that states Agumon turns evil and turns into BlackAgumon. So for those - I would count those as "canon" evolutions for Agumon. So from DSCS, that leaves Tyrannomon and Sukamon - well in that sense, I would just treat it as "filler". Every Digimon needs multiple evolutions in games/cards etc to make things more fun after all - and who knows, maybe one day an Agumon in the anime/game/manga whatever will turn into Sukamon as part of the story lol. So yes, that's how I see it, and for a lot of people (and the Digimon Wiki/Wikimon at least) see it as that way. But you also have those who think any evolution that has ever happened is canon, so that can mean Agumon would have 50 bajillion evolutions lol. Heck, I once saw someone on Reddit say that even evolutions that haven't happened yet are canon, because they CAN happen, meaning all Digimon have 1400+ canon evolutions lol. So yea... whatever way you wanna take it.

Ain't got no mojo...
    @Muur

The problem with your approach is that 99% of the digimon don't have an anime evolution line given. So if we only accept anime as canon and the rest filler then you're stuck with Megas with no previous evolution forms. And determining which digimon are filler and which digimon are canon in games based on nothing but your own judgement is unacceptable unless you are some sort of authority in digimon like a direct designer/developer. Which means all "filler" digimon have just as much claim for canonicity as non-filler digimon. Because no official sources said they're filler/non-canon.

I recognize that the games have limited resources which is why they just stick digimon to random evolution lines like dianamon evolving from taomon because crescemon wasn't in the game, or Gatomon digivolving to Examon. And some of the card evos are really weird like Megadramon digivolving into Examon who is supposed to be a fusion of Breakdramon and Slayerdramon. But then you remember that the final forms predate their pre-evolved forms, and no official retcon has been given, so blah blah blah, I came to this forum for opinions :P

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with this mindset: "Unless an official retcon is given, all evolution lines are canon"

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    @Muur

The problem with your approach is that 99% of the digimon don't have an anime evolution line given. So if we only accept anime as canon and the rest filler then you're stuck with Megas with no previous evolution forms. And determining which digimon are filler and which digimon are canon in games based on nothing but your own judgement is unacceptable unless you are some sort of authority in digimon like a direct designer/developer. Which means all "filler" digimon have just as much claim for canonicity as non-filler digimon. Because no official sources said they're filler/non-canon.

I recognize that the games have limited resources which is why they just stick digimon to random evolution lines like dianamon evolving from taomon because crescemon wasn't in the game, or Gatomon digivolving to Examon. And some of the card evos are really weird like Megadramon digivolving into Examon who is supposed to be a fusion of Breakdramon and Slayerdramon. But then you remember that the final forms predate their pre-evolved forms, and no official retcon has been given, so blah blah blah, I came to this forum for opinions :P

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with this mindset: "Unless an official retcon is given, all evolution lines are canon"
    Well I didn't say only the anime - I also counted Games, Manga, and official profiles. and yes, it would count as head canon I guess, I was merely giving you suggestions as to how you could do them for your own personal head canons.

There is no limit to evolution possibilities, and all evolutions from every official medium are equally canon.
    Everything besides is fan speculation misusing the term “canon”.

In addition to appearing in an official product canonicity is mostly only further defined via official statements of the creators and even that is debatable based on context. (And Digimon usually has very little official statements about the canonicity of anything… we tend to be on our own)

The joke is of course that most of the time when a question about canonicity is asked, the actual intention is much more specific and only tangentially related to actual canonicity (which tends to be too broad of a category to be useful). The core of the question “Is evolution X canon” tends to be “how common is evolution x in the franchise and how likely is it that future products will reuse the same evolution?”. It’s a matter of precedent and general predictive power, because fan writers and fan artists sometimes tend to have a fixation to have their creations mirror as much of the official media as possible rather than just some or one of them.

There are innumerable factors for how likely an evolution is to reoccur. Of course, if a Digimon is a specific character, works in the same continuity will likely keep its evolution. If other Digimon have been specifically designed as a pre-evolution, of course they would also be commonly used.
    Digimon’s A’s original pre-evolution in the first product it appeared in has a higher chance to be reused than its tenth evolution option 20 products later. Or if a Digimon evolves from a Digimon B that is or becomes super popular, that evolution has good chances to be reused because the popularity of Digimon B raises the chances of both monsters appearing in future products together.
    And so on, and so forth.

Canonized evolutions fascinate me. I find it interesting with all the different combinations and such. But what I cannot stand is evolutionary dead beginnings, not ends. I get some things cannot reach ultimate levels, but why do Neamon and Bokomon not have baby II and baby forms? That really bugs me. I can't believe they spontaneously appeared out of a digiegg or into the Digital World as child level Digimon.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman91 View Post
    Canonized evolutions fascinate me. I find it interesting with all the different combinations and such. But what I cannot stand is evolutionary dead beginnings, not ends. I get some things cannot reach ultimate levels, but why do Neamon and Bokomon not have baby II and baby forms? That really bugs me. I can't believe they spontaneously appeared out of a digiegg or into the Digital World as child level Digimon.
    Theyll have baby forms. Just haven't been assigned one yet. In fact Bokomon is implied to have one as in Dawn/Dusk he wonders why he wasn't reverted to his baby form like everyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast