With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leadup to Kizuna Week 5- Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions

After Lupin and Redline were both more actiony, something a bit... well not quite calmer, just less actiony seems like it'd be fun.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This one has some fanservice, but nothing that wild.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions is just well... fun.

The entire film can be watched on the following officially: (some are free, others are paid subscription)
    Subbed on Crunchyroll
    Subbed on Hulu
    Subbed and dubbed on HiDive

This one is just season 1, 12 episodes.

Yuta is starting high school, and eager to get away from the life he had in junior high, when he was a chunibyo. One of a number of young kids so eager to be special, he convinced himself he had special powers and knowledge. But he was able to break free of his delusions and chunibyo and can make a fresh start. Until he meets Rikka, a chunibyo in his class, and also his neighbor... and also she knows about his chunibyo past.

On top of Rikka, Yuta meets a number of other people at his new school, some chunibyo, some not. But they all seem to want to crush him dream of being a normal student.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions as I mentioned above, is just a fun show to watch. It has great animation care of KyoAni, and all the characters in it have their personalities and characters defined extremely well. The show isn't just comedy, as it mixed in some good character drama in with it.

Those familiar with any number of other KyoAni shows will recognize a number of themes and elements that have shown up in other shows (an obvious example being Haruhi, as the theme here is effectively an inversion of Haruhi.)

While we are only doing season 1, the series had a season 2, a few OVAs, a compilation film for season 1, a bunch of minisodes, and a rather great finale movie.

There are only a handful of major obvious connections with Digimon, so here they both are!:
    Soichiro Hoshi, who was Masaru in Digimon Savers plays Yuta's first high school friend, who is always suffering, often due to his own actions.
    Kanae Oki, who was Yuu in Digimon Xros Wars plays... a random student! And also the cat!

And while not a direct connection... based on a number of character elements (to say nothing of the character designs themselves), Impmon X seems very likely to be based on Rikka.

I've embedded a Youtube clip of the intro to the series as a preview.

Fans of anime memes will recognize any number of them that came from the opening alone.

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
    Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
    Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
    Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
    Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
    Week 4 Movie- Redline
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I watched this show a few months back, it's enjoyable and the dub was good. I skipped the movie though as it's just a recap movie.

And you didn't metion Impmon X is probably based on her lol

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    I watched this show a few months back, it's enjoyable and the dub was good. I skipped the movie though as it's just a recap movie.

Added it.

Also, the movie is not a recap movie.

There 'is' a recap movie separately for season 1 (it actually has some new content, including adding some more direct connective tissue with season 2), but the 'actual' movie is a finale film that is entirely new.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post

Added it.

Also, the movie is not a recap movie.

There 'is' a recap movie separately for season 1 (it actually has some new content, including adding some more direct connective tissue with season 2), but the 'actual' movie is a finale film that is entirely new.
    Oh neat, I didn't realise there was a second movie. I'll add that to my watch list. I must've somehow missed that it existed when I watched it. And actually it seems it came out in May 2018 and I think I watched the show like a month before that lol. (Time flies I guess). Thanks for informing me!
    Last edited by Muur; 09-02-2019 at 03:27 AM.

I've rewatched this series several times. One of the better RomCom's I've watched. Rewatched it last year in preparation for the movie. This anime makes eighth-grade syndrome as the central theme of the series. Other series such as Oreshura have used the "condition" but more to the side. The first season often gave the question if being a Chunibyo was a waste of your time.

For the second movie I found it a little disappointing that Rikka was not "ready" to leave behind being a Chunibyo even when her high school graduation was near.
    Last edited by Agu-Chan; 09-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.

I come from the net
    Oh hey, it's that one. The meme. I've heard of it and a lot of people thinks she's cute. Haven't seen it though.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    Finished the season last night. I liked the show rather well. There were a few scenes that fell into the too-embarassing-to-watch category, but not as many as I was afraid there might be. For the most part it was just fun. I particularly liked the scenes where they animated the characters' fantasies as they played out, often contrasted with reality to humorous or sometimes dramatic effect. Speaking of drama, Rikka's antics become a little less cute halfway through the series, when we learn that they stem from some deep psychological problems. I loved that moment as well, because you have that same shift of perspective. But for a few minor things, I enjoyed the series both for the comedy and the drama. I do wonder where the plot will go from here. While there is certainly material for a continuation, I think that the first season stands very well on its own as a complete story. In future, will we see all the main characters striking a balance between being "chunibyo" and being "normal"? I'm looking forward to returning to the series once the leadup is over.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net