With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tamers, Frontier and Savers have accurate dubs

Red shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by VanChizzle View Post
    I can't really speak for the English dubs as I never watched them but I watched the Cantonese dubs of Tamers and Frontier (produced in Hong Kong) growing up and they were really faithful to the Japanese version.

All the Japanese songs and background music were kept along with the names transliterated into their Chinese equivalent. Like, it was faithful to the point where there were no jokes that weren't originally there and the lines were practically a translation of the original script.

In fact, the biggest degree of localization was when they'd do a Cantonese cover of the opening themes (Biggest Dreamer and Fire!) and play that instead. But that was it.
    Now that puts the English version to shame, It's what the dub should have been

I come from the net
    Digimonís dub is hardly the butchered mess some fans want to pretend it is. Compared to Sailor Moonís original dub or Funimationís pre-Kai Dragon Ball stuff Digimon got left alone pretty much unscathed.

A lot of times the dialog in the English and Japanese versions are almost exactly the same the dub is just reworded differently and had a tendency of punch up humor.

Like others have said, it's all a matter of opinion. I grew up with the dubs of Adventure 1 & 2 and loved them. But I have to remember that people watch Digimon for different reasons. Me personally, I like to watch it for the jokes, action, and good character development and the dubs provided me all of that in spades, so I never felt a need to explore the Japanese versions. (Well, I actually did once but the music seemed very low-energy and bland so I immediately stopped. Not my cup of tea.)

I was starting to gravitate away from cartoons by the time Tamers came out, but I still watched it now and then and it was fine. You're right about less jokes. That may have something to do with why I wasn't as jazzed as previous seasons. When dubs for kids animes are more on-script I don't vibe with it as much because it's harder to tell if the writers and voice cast were having fun. When they slip in a lot of jokes and stupid dialogue it feels more like they were having a good time and I like that. Maybe that's weird, but that's how it is.

Frontier and Data Squad completely passed me by as I wasn't into anime at that time, but I went back and watched them in my twenties when I was going through a Digimon resurgence. They were...fine. Just fine. Nothing really stood out. I sensed a little bit of the old dub spark in Frontier, but not in Data Squad. Just seemed to be VA's reading their lines and nothing more. Yo, but there was ONE THING that had me cracking up at Data Squad and that's Keenan's dialogue. Why oh why did they write him to talk like Tarzan if he was raised by a Frigimon and Falcomon, both whom speak perfect English? Where then did he pick up this caveman-talk, hm? Oh gosh, it was so great.

And guys if you really want to talk about lackluster dubbing look no further than the Finnish dub.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfetch View Post
    Yo, but there was ONE THING that had me cracking up at Data Squad and that's Keenan's dialogue. Why oh why did they write him to talk like Tarzan if he was raised by a Frigimon and Falcomon, both whom speak perfect English? Where then did he pick up this caveman-talk, hm? Oh gosh, it was so great.
    Cuz he spoke broken Japanese as well, that wasn't a dub invention

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Yo, but there was ONE THING that had me cracking up at Data Squad and that's Keenan's dialogue. Why oh why did they write him to talk like Tarzan if he was raised by a Frigimon and Falcomon, both whom speak perfect English? Where then did he pick up this caveman-talk, hm? Oh gosh, it was so great.
    Did Frigimon and Falcomon also speak broken Japanese? I'm so curious now.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Did Frigimon and Falcomon also speak broken Japanese? I'm so curious now.
    Just cuz Frigimon and other Digimon can speak the language doesn't mean they know how to teach it. Tey were just born able to speak perfect English (Japanese in this context I suppose), so Keenan was left to learn on his own by picking up what he could.

Well, what I'm saying is, if he was raised by Digimon who spoke a specific language and dialect, it would stand to reason that he would grow up learning that same language and dialect. Kids are like sponges, especially when starting all the way at age 1. For example, a baby raised by Irish parents would grow up speaking and sounding just like they do. The same goes for a baby raised by Australian parents, or South African parents and so on. The baby wouldn't grow up sounding differently than those closest to him whom he learned spoken language from. BUUUUUT, do get WHY they did it - it was to drive home the point that this is a feral child we're dealing with. What better way to emphasize that than by having him talk like Tarzan?

Anyway, this is a whole other conversation entirely. I just thought that detail in the dub (and I guess the Japanese, too!) was super funny and weird.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12