With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 4 Movie- Redline

Leadup to Kizuna Week 4 Movie- Redline

With Lupin still going for another week for those continuing to watch it, something nice and short for those who finished it, or simply weren't interested in the whole thing, this time we have a movie, so putting it up a hair early before the weekend is completely over!

Redline!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This one has nudity, drugs, language, violence, all that stuff you crave.

Redline is a bit of a special film, so that many people haven't seen it lets us introduce it to more people!

The entire film can be watched on the following officially for free:
    Dubbed on Youtube
    Dubbed on tubiTV

Lupin is officially running for 2 weeks, so a roughly 100 minute film seemed like a good one to do.

It took 7 years for Redline to be made...

It's an exciting science fiction racing film, perhaps a bit easy to try and point out Speed Racer or even Wacky Races as inspiration.

The animation is something special, and the racing and action scenes are simply thrilling. The time spent making the film was based on just how much effort was spent on the animation being hand drawn, fluid, and detailed.

The soundtrack is setup perfectly to pull you into the film, and has a great energy to it.

Sweet JP is racing in his Trans Am in the Yellowline, the final race on the way to participate in the Redline, the most popular race in the universe. With the secret location of the Redline being revealed to be Roboworld, a world run by military cyborgs, threatening to kill anyone involved with the race to show up, you end up with a film with lots of high action racing and mechanical destruction!

Minus that bit explaining the overall concept, with this one being just a single movie you can discover the rest of the film yourself.

In the leadup to the actual release of Redline, it honestly appeared it might become something akin to Akira. Something that came out, and just would be talked about and compared to everything endlessly, something that would never be forgotten.

I rather like Redline, but it feels more like it's release ended up being little more than a blip. As for the reason why, it feels like that's still debated among people with an endless number of possible reasons from a racing action film sliding in a few high concept things (ala the Speed Racer film, although much lower than that film), to the designs not being what people wanted/expected, to parts of the movie slowing down so much for talking that enough people simply didn't like it to talk about it to others.

There are so many Digimon connections with Redline I skipped most to only list a handful of interesting ones:
    Kousei Hirota was Mercurimon in Savers and is the President of Roboworld here
    Kenta Miyake was Dynasmon in Frontier, Grizzmon in the Frontier Movie, and Timemon in Appmon. Here he plays Little Deyzuna, a soldier of Roboworld who joins the race.

Patrick Seitz was Starmon, MailBirdramon, Olegmon, and many others in Fusion. In Redline he plays the lead, JP.
    Michelle Ruff played Lopmon in Tamers, Zoe in Frontier, and Sparrowmon in Fusion, among others in Digimon. She plays Sonoshee McLaren, one of the other main leads.
    Derek Stephen Prince was DemiDevimon and Piedmon in Adventure, Veemon and Ken in 02, Impmon in Tamers, Dyansmon and Grumblemon in Frontier, Jeremy in Fusion, on top of many many others. He plays the English voice of Little Deyzuna!

I've embedded a Youtube clip of the so called 'special version trailer'. The whole film is up officially on Youtube (linked to above), but a shorter preview for the embedded video seemed like a good idea.

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also.

Prior Leadups:
    Final Leadup to tri.- Gundam Unicorn (with index of tri. Leadup)
    Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters
    Week 2- Kimagure Orange Road
    Week 3 (and 4)- Lupin the 3rd Part 4
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Just a quick note for anyone unsure of watching Redline. If you appreciate great art and animation give it a go, force yourself if you need to. It is difficult not to pause at literally any screen in the entire film and nor have a drop dead gorgeous wallpaper. Also, you probably saw the directors work before if you have seen things like the Animatrix, he did the one with the Olympic runner. But give it a shot, if you are disappointed you can let me know, but I will assume I won’t hear back from anyone.
    Currently Raising
    Vpet 20th: Aegisdramon

Hall of Legends
    Aegisdramon

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    This movie was good. I don't think it's destined to be one of my all-time favorites, but it was good. If nothing else, it has a very unique look to it. Some of the character designs are rather offputtingly grotesque, but of course that's intentional, and you become used to it as you watch. The main characters were interesting, and the two big action sequences (the races) are a lot of fun. I had a minor issue with the ending, since it left me wondering a little about Roboworld after the race. Of course, the movie is really about the race and the racers, but there is a good chunk of time dedicated to Roboworld's military and politics, so part of me was disappointed not to hear something about the race's aftermath, or at least what happened with Funky Boy and the randomly mutated Volton.

I noticed while adding the movie on My Anime List that two of its minor characters had previously starred in an OVA of their own (Trava: Fist Planet), roughly half a decade before Redline came out. I may get around to watching that someday, but it's not high on my priority list.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net