With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: The Appeal of V-Pet

  1. #1
    Ain't got no mojo... Amnaeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Apocalymon's Dimension
    Posts
    23
    Follow Amnaeal On Twitter

    The Appeal of V-Pet

    The First Digimon "Anything" I Ever Bought Was Digimon World 2, I'd heard about DW1 but Didn't Get the Chance to get it.
    Then I watched the anime which solidified Digimon Forever in my heart.
    After a while I got a copy of DW1 played it.
    I Liked the Environment, The Story.
    But The Concept of having to raise my Digimon over and over Didn't Sink in With me..
    I was Wondering Why?
    What's the logic behind it? To teach Parenting? Nostalgia?
    I Couldn't Get the Appeal like the rest of the Fandom.
    So Can Any V-Pet Fans Explain It For Me?

  2. #2
    I come from the net flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,432
    DW1 doesn't feel exactly like a vpet. It was a lot faster version of what happens in Tamagotchis for gameplay reasons since you no longer really keep it in your pocket to tend to it day to day. And yeah I think it was becaude of the nurturing aspect and training (for fighting) aspect. If I remember right Tamagotchis were thought of by one of the creators because a lot of Japanese people lived on highly populated areas and apartments where animals arent allowed so they wanted a toy to give you that feeling. Once you have nurturing and death it raises the stakes very high for caring for it and fighting. Its also so you can have a fresh start the next tine and go through even more new Digimon and evolutions. Its really not as stressful in vpets though. I couldnt get into DW1 to be honest, you might enjoy Next Order more.

  3. #3
    It's fun not entirely being in control of your Digimon's evolution. It creates interesting moments like Skull Greymon and Sukasimon in the anime.

  4. #4
    I'm going digital Tortoiseshel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    495
    I'm a big fan of virtual pets as a genre, not just Digimon, and I guess... I like the sense of companionship. Like there's an actual bond between you and your creature, that you're actually working together. Like they're not just a summon, familiar, or weapon as a lot of monster-fighting games tend to frame it; they're a living creature that needs to be taken care of, and that has some autonomy. I do agree though that Digimon having such a short lifespan is kind of a bummer, and even though it doesn't personally bother me much because I like raising Digimon and watching them grow up, I definitely see why it can be a deal breaker for a lot of people. And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.

    OP, if it weren't for the fact that the Digimon die pretty quickly and you have to raise them from birth again each time, do you think you'd like the V-Pet/Digimon World style gameplay better?

  5. #5
    I come from the net Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,444
    Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.
    How would that work, though? you get to Mega for the first time and then... you're stuck with that Mega forever? You'd only be able to have one evolution line the entire game.

  6. #6
    Ain't got no mojo... Amnaeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Apocalymon's Dimension
    Posts
    23
    Follow Amnaeal On Twitter
    Gameplay wise I think it's not a good idea, I mean you are a human who was dragged to the Digi-World to fix it by fighting a LOT, you can't do that if your raising/Training your Digimon half or some of the time.
    Oh Speaking of which There's a moment in DW1 Where Later in the game A Really Strong Greymon WILL Appear and Track You Down To Jijimon's House To Fight You, what am I as a player supposed to do if my Digimon was in baby form in that situation?

    Another Aspect about the V-Pet , there's a problem I heard of your "pet" Pooping/Dying/Getting Sick While your asleep that is a major problem I'd say.
    maybe they should add some new functions or something to the V-Pet
    The Darker Picture Is The Correct One

  7. #7
    Red shirt kensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Nottingham
    Age
    23
    Posts
    64
    Add kensei on Discord Add kensei on Steam
    If I recall correctly, losing to Greymon will cause him not to appear again until you enter Jijimons house once more. It's definitely awkward but so long as you avoid re-entering you have the opportunity to train up, buy more items etc. That said I think I only got by because my digimon only knew a single, weak but very fast attack. Maybe sonic jab. Just kept stunlocking him and spamming MP floppies. Not my proudest moment!

    I personally always found the v-pets appealing because my first main experience with Digimon was Digimon World 1. My friend and I got it for our birthdays and we spent a lot of time visiting each others houses with our memory cards and countless numemon to fight each other. Even today we still go back and play it and have memory card battles, though thankfully with less numemon. So nostalgia obviously plays a big part in the appeal. There's also something nice about getting to raise wildly different digimon each time you fire up a v-pet. If they stayed digivolved forever, or never died, you'd get a lot less variety. I was also never allowed pets, so v-pets were the next best thing!

    A tip with the pets if you want a lie-in, learn when your digimon wakes up and set the clock back accordingly before you go to sleep. i.e. set it back two hours and (so long as that's still when they'd be asleep) you've earned yourself two more hours of peace and quiet.

  8. #8
    I come from the net Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,444
    Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by kensei View Post
    If I recall correctly, losing to Greymon will cause him not to appear again until you enter Jijimons house once more. It's definitely awkward but so long as you avoid re-entering you have the opportunity to train up, buy more items etc. That said I think I only got by because my digimon only knew a single, weak but very fast attack. Maybe sonic jab. Just kept stunlocking him and spamming MP floppies. Not my proudest moment!

    I personally always found the v-pets appealing because my first main experience with Digimon was Digimon World 1. My friend and I got it for our birthdays and we spent a lot of time visiting each others houses with our memory cards and countless numemon to fight each other. Even today we still go back and play it and have memory card battles, though thankfully with less numemon. So nostalgia obviously plays a big part in the appeal. There's also something nice about getting to raise wildly different digimon each time you fire up a v-pet. If they stayed digivolved forever, or never died, you'd get a lot less variety. I was also never allowed pets, so v-pets were the next best thing!

    A tip with the pets if you want a lie-in, learn when your digimon wakes up and set the clock back accordingly before you go to sleep. i.e. set it back two hours and (so long as that's still when they'd be asleep) you've earned yourself two more hours of peace and quiet.
    That sounds about right. I once DID have a baby when Greymon showed up, which of course cost me a life and I luckily was able to avoid having to fight him again til I was ready

  9. #9
    Ain't got no mojo... Amnaeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Apocalymon's Dimension
    Posts
    23
    Follow Amnaeal On Twitter
    Well I think The V-Pet is kinda outdated maybe they should add new Functions, An Auto-Bathroom etc..I'm Just Gonna Stick To the Games, I need my beauty Sleep.
    The Darker Picture Is The Correct One

  10. #10
    I'm going digital Tortoiseshel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoiseshel View Post
    And I honestly wouldn't mind at all a Digimon game with V-Pet-like gameplay but didn't have your Digimon die of old age.
    How would that work, though? you get to Mega for the first time and then... you're stuck with that Mega forever? You'd only be able to have one evolution line the entire game.
    By doing the same thing the Digimon franchise has been doing for years: Copy the anime (namely Adventure, of course)! You control when and how your Digimon evolves, but only if you've made sure to take care of it properly. I like how Digimon Masters does evolution much like the anime, where your partner Digimon spends most if its time in a "default" stage- usually Child, because Marketablity- and evolution is temporary and usually invoked for battles. Mix that with the life sim elements of World/the V-Pets, and the branching evolution trees of the later Story games, and I think you could have a pretty good evolution system. And if your Digimon does die, 1) it's not from old age but from disease, injury, or starvation; 2) they're immediately reborn as an egg, and 3) you don't have to completely start over with training them.

    Basically just make the life sim elements less about constantly babysitting your Digimon so they don't turn into a pile of poop and/or die too early, and more about taking care of a companion so that they, in turn, can take care of you by fighting all the bigger, badder, meaner monsters. I mean, I'm perfectly fine with babysitting Digimon, but I understand why so many other people aren't too keen on it. And honestly... I just want virtual pets, as a genre, to evolve again. It's been 24 years since Dogz was first released, and I feel like virtual pets have barely progressed since then. The fact that the Petz franchise is a mere shadow of its former self since being bought by Ubisoft is just adding insult to injury.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •