With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Appeal of V-Pet

Follow Amnaeal On Twitter
    Thanks. Man DW1 Had A LOT of glitches!
    The Darker Picture Is The Correct One

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaeal View Post
    Well your both right and Wrong, I hate having to train/raise my Digimon repeatedly it's exhausting and I don't have the time cuz I'm busy with life.it would be nice if the company made a V-Pet for busy adults who have been Digimon fans but no longer have free time as before.Also do people by different Tamagotchis "hope I didn't spell that wrong" and keep older ones they used to have, I think that's kinda wasteful.
    If they make it too easy, then what's the point in even playing?

Besides, there's Digimon Story for more traditional RPG mechanics.

I Understand That.
    But keep in mind that not everyone has Free time.
    Try and see my perspective, what if you had a lot of chores or work to do and your Digimon Died.
    I'm Hoping that Digimon as a Franchise "not just V-Pet" becomes popular across all Members of society including people who are busy that's my logic.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I have a pendulum progress 2. It was really fun raising a Lilithmon. And I feel sad that she'll return to a digiegg and I have to restart the whole thing.

... this was 6 months ago. 6 months and my lilithmon is still kicking.

Then I realized thats the entire game. The entire point of the V-Pet is to raise your digimon to the mega level you want. Afterwards there's literally nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    I have a pendulum progress 2. It was really fun raising a Lilithmon. And I feel sad that she'll return to a digiegg and I have to restart the whole thing.

... this was 6 months ago. 6 months and my lilithmon is still kicking.

Then I realized thats the entire game. The entire point of the V-Pet is to raise your digimon to the mega level you want. Afterwards there's literally nothing else to do.
    This is kinda what I've been saying earlier in the thread about how virtual pets haven't evolved much in the past twenty or so years they've existed. I think there needs to be more to compel users to really care about their pets. Although, maybe that's just not possible with such simplistic tech. But I think there's something more missing.

There's a really great short research paper by one Frédéric Kaplan called "Free Creatures: The Role of Uselessness in the Design of Artificial Pets". Its thesis is that (good) virtual pets are designed to foster a relationship between them and their "owner" by being "free creatures that make you feel responsible". They're "free creatures" in that, unlike most software, they don't serve a specific function to the user. They're not virtual assistants like Siri or Alexa, they don't remind you of appointments or answer any of your search queries. If you were to compare them to real life domesticated animals, virtual pets would be the housecats and lap dogs to virtual assistants' hunting dogs and work horses; They're "useless" in that they serve no real purpose other than companionship. The "make you feel responsible" part is self-explanatory, it's the raising and taking care of your pet so they stay healthy and don't die early. Tamagotchi and Digimon, Petz, Neopets, and Furby, the big name artificial pets of the 90's, all followed this basic formula to varying degrees, becoming massive financial hits in the process.

The second part of the paper then goes on to state:

It is surprising how far this first generation of artificial pets has been able to give convincing results without using almost any of the techniques developped in the fields of artificial intelligence and researchs on adaptive behavior. However, it is probable that in the long run, people might to get bored with this kind of artificial pets. Users will want their pet to learn more about their life so that they get the impression that they really share something with them. Object recognition and interaction with natural language will be some key issues in the development of an interesting relationship
    It seems most people did eventually get bored of those kinds of pets. Most people outside of dedicated fan communities think of things like Tamagotchi, Furby, and Neopets as little more than wacky 90's kid nostalgia stuff. And even inside some of those fan communities- for example, in this thread- a lot of people are no longer interested in the old style of raising pets. Just as Kaplan predicted, users want more sophisticated creatures that they can form deeper, more meaningful bonds with. Unfortunately, despite currently being in the midst of an artificial intelligence renaissance of sorts, the virtual pet genre has yet to take advantage of any of these new innovations. It seems every virtual pet is either copying Tamagotchi, Neopets, or Nintendogs; They're all either low-fi mobile raising sims, browser-based games that are more about collecting and customization than caring for anything, and relatively graphically impressive but mechanically shallow minigame collections featuring generically cute baby animals.

Petz (the original by PFMagic, not Ubisoft's cheap Nintendogs knockoff with the same name), Creatures, and Seaman remain the most impressive artificial life/virtual pet games to me, and they all debuted in the 90's. And I can only wonder, why? Why hasn't there been any successful attempts at innovating? Are people just content with what we have now and I'm the only crazy one? I mean, I know I'm not the one, single person on earth who wants more, reading this very thread can tell you that much. But is there just not enough money to be made in it for major developers to put in the effort? Am I going to have to study AI and just make my own damn virtual pet? I'd rather not, because I hate math and ADHD just makes it that much harder to focus on something that requires so much attention to detail, but if push comes to shove I guess...

I mean yes, I should remind to most, Virtual Pets at most, are just simply a toy. I say toy because they are not supposed to be complicated as something like a wholesome game, nor really tailored for the adult life-style. We just play with them, with no real "goal" in mind, until we get bored of it and/or can't play with them anymore. Maybe we can just say as adults, it's really harder to dedicate ourselves into playing with these toys all the time since most of us either have more important matters to attend in real life and there's probably "better" things to spend time on. Since as we get older, we'd likely to want to have new things as we go.

But yeah, I think the appeal I can find for V-Pets, they're really charming in such a simplistic way and it does teach you to have some degree of responsibility, for they do give a bit of an illusion of being a living being. They aren't much, but maybe that's why they say less is more. Honestly, I think it's rather impressive for tech on the 90s was able to pull of this with something this small. I actually founded it somewhat jarring when my Aegisdramon died, for raising it so long and due to unfortunate circumstances, it had died when I wasn't around for it. I give that, V-Pets are pretty much niche in the west since most would just remember as it one of the weird experimental toys.
    Last edited by Cenrji; 09-19-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Thank You For your Reply. Seriously Thank You!I had No Idea all of that was going on.But it poses another problem, as a lifelong Hardcore Fan of Digimon I tolerate a lot of things going wrong with the franchise, like the DW4 Game, continuity errors with the Anime etc..Only to find out that the thing that's responsible for the franchise's Growth is going out of style.to me that's beyond horrific, Digimon's "Core" functions on Bonds, Emotions, And among other things AND most importantly ...Evolution!If the creators of the V-Pet don't evolve soon... well...to use a real life analogy..."Adapt or Perish" or in this case Go out of business.Oh Let me know about your V-Pet idea, Indie Game Making & Stuff is all the rage.I heard there's a Guy on this site who's making his own V-pet maybe you can collaborate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123