With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Memorial Story Project Details! Episode Titles, Blu-ray, Figure, & More!

That reward tier where you get an original Partner Digimon designed is so coollllll! I really hope it reaches the funding goal so those shorts stand a chance a better chance of getting subtitled.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing64 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shinji View Post
    Am I the only one that feels this is completely superflous and unnecessary?
    Fourteen out of fifteen* Adventure kids and their Digimon are being crammed into what will be, at minimum, a 1hr 30m film. Inevitably this means some characters are going to get more screentime while others end up getting the short end of the stick. Not to mention it's already looking to be very Taichi and Agumon centric.So, on the contrary, I think these are absolutely necessary if we want everybody to get a decent amount of screentime.*Number 15 being Meiko, of course. But we don't know if she'll end up appearing in Kizuna too.
    There are a lot of aspects to conssider here:

1. How are you so sure that the 02 characters are going to show up in this? I mean they don't even appear in the promo poster. Furthermore, not to mention they had already literally 6 films in which half of the time were slice-of-life scenes, which is what this animation is about.

2. I feel really 'off' that Adventure being by far the richest part of the franchise needs a crowdfunding to do something that it's not going to add anything relevant to the plot itself. Don't expect this to be nothing more nothing less than the Digimon Adventure 3D Grandprix film or that tri. CD Drama settled in the beach which was included in the DigiFes 2016 compilation.

3. I just hope they don't make the mistake of focusing all the plot into Taichi & Agumon. One of my biggest complains about Our War Game! OVA is the fact that half of the cast is just sidelined because reasons...and that feels shabby to be honest. I would rather prefer if they follow the Diablomon Strikes Back! OVA formula in which every characters gets kinda of a decent amount of screentime.

If only I would like to make a crowdfunding to put forward the Digimon Tamers 2018 sequel Konaka was willing to make.
    Speaking of which, am I the only one who feels that using a special anniversary Drama CD as a poorly disguised sequel pitch was not only superfluous and unnecessary, but also a slap in the face to the fans?
    Why would you say so? Literally I cannot see why it would be. I think it's just a matter of making the most of your available resources considering Tamers is not that as popular as Adventure. Kind reminder that Digimon Adventure anime was a follow-up of a Digimon Adventure kinda pilot-OVA that turned out to be succesful when Digimon was only a V-Pet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shiramomo View Post
    So unfortunately the fans from overseas won't get to watch the special episodes?
    The Blu-rays are pretty low on the reward scale so after the fundraiser is over there will be plenty of them floating around, so you don't have to worry about that.
    If you mean some sort of dub... then in that case I wouldn't be surprised if whoever releases Kizuna in the west could include the shorts with the movie as bonus material. After all they do, so far, seem to keep the west out of this event which also means that a regular release over here wouldn't really impact the "limited" status of the animations in Japan.

Kind reminder that Digimon Adventure anime was a follow-up of a Digimon Adventure kinda pilot-OVA that turned out to be succesful when Digimon was only a V-Pet thing.
    That is completely wrong. The Digimon Adventure movie was produced at the same time as the as the TV Anime, which aired its first episode only days after the movie premiered. So the implication that any success of that screening caused Adventure to be produced is misleading unless you also want to imply that the series was planned, cast and started pumping out episodes within a single day.
    Last edited by Theigno; 08-20-2019 at 09:53 AM.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Kind reminder that Digimon Adventure anime was a follow-up of a Digimon Adventure kinda pilot-OVA that turned out to be succesful when Digimon was only a V-Pet thing.
    That is completely wrong. The Digimon Adventure movie was produced at the same time as the as the TV Anime, which aired its first episode only days after the movie premiered. So the implication that any success of that screening caused Adventure to be produced is misleading unless you also want to imply that the series was planned, cast and started pumping out episodes within a single day.
    I'm aware of that and of course it's just my assumption of things, but we may suppose if that OVA hadn't been that vastly successful, there's a chance the anime would have been different (shorter or who knows). If not, I don't see the point of having an introductory OVA right a day before the anime première. I mean, at least that's how things usually work in that business. Even though, there are many other examples of this among the franchise. For instance the Re: Digitize/Decode case.
    Last edited by Shadow Shinji; 08-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.

1. How are you so sure that the 02 characters are going to show up in this? I mean they don't even appear in the promo poster. Furthermore, not to mention they had already literally 6 films in which half of the time were slice-of-life scenes, which is what this animation is about.
    That one of them has jogress in the title is of course, not a guarantee of who shows up, but it's certainly a hint. Takeru and Hikari both had jogress' of course, but those were aspects that each required one of the 02 kids. So it could certainly 'focus' on those 2, but at least an appearance of Miyako and Iori in such stories would be required for them to be fleshed out, even as shorts.

2. I feel really 'off' that Adventure being by far the richest part of the franchise needs a crowdfunding to do something that it's not going to add anything relevant to the plot itself. Don't expect this to be nothing more nothing less than the Digimon Adventure 3D Grandprix film or that tri. CD Drama settled in the beach which was included in the DigiFes 2016 compilation.
    Crowdfunding is the umbrella term for the concept, but there really isn't crowdfunding being done here 'in general'. The shorts have been made for their desired goal. Spend a bit extra, and have shorts to show at a special event, and possibly some other events in the future. The crowdfunding is effectively being done akin to a 'this is the 20th Anniversary, and it'd be nice if we did a bit more with them, here is the budget we've set forth to do so', which is the crowdfunding aspect.

And of course, they said from moment one they are shorts and side stories. If you have unrealistic expectations of what they are, that's on you.

3. I just hope they don't make the mistake of focusing all the plot into Taichi & Agumon. One of my biggest complains about Our War Game! OVA is the fact that half of the cast is just sidelined because reasons...and that feels shabby to be honest. I would rather prefer if they follow the Diablomon Strikes Back! OVA formula in which every characters gets kinda of a decent amount of screentime.
    You can keep calling the films OVAs, but they aren't. They are significantly different things in production, usage, budget, etc. In recent years that's definitely become slightly more muddled, but there is no confusion on what any of the things you've named are.

As for which method works better, I'd say War Game worked better in telling an actual story and having characterization, which is one of the benefits of sidelining out characters. It isn't perfect, and the Diablomon method is certainly another way to go.

Why would you say so? Literally I cannot see why it would be. I think it's just a matter of making the most of your available resources considering Tamers is not that as popular as Adventure. Kind reminder that Digimon Adventure anime was a follow-up of a Digimon Adventure kinda pilot-OVA that turned out to be succesful when Digimon was only a V-Pet thing.
    As theigno already points out, it wasn't in any way shape or form a pilot (and already went over OVAs.) The show was being made, and nothing about the film's launch was going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    The Blu-rays are pretty low on the reward scale so after the fundraiser is over there will be plenty of them floating around, so you don't have to worry about that.
    If you mean some sort of dub... then in that case I wouldn't be surprised if whoever releases Kizuna in the west could include the shorts with the movie as bonus material. After all they do, so far, seem to keep the west out of this event which also means that a regular release over here wouldn't really impact the "limited" status of the animations in Japan.
    I tend to agree that it's good to hope for them. This sort of extra animation historically is very up or down whether we get it. Any educated guess at this point is no better than a coin flip.

I'm aware of that and of course it's just my assumption of things, but we may suppose if that OVA hadn't been that vastly successful, there's a chance the anime would have been different (shorter or who knows). If not, I don't see the point of having an introductory OVA right a day before the anime première. I mean, at least that's how things usually work in that business. Even though, there are many other examples of this among the franchise. For instance the Re: Digitize/Decode case.
    Ignoring that we know the show was planned to be a year long (we literally have quotes from the head writer that it's why he signed on to do it), and nothing minus the show or it's product line doing insanely bad would have changed that.

Your issue is you seem to think the film is introductory. It isn't. It's simply related. It wasn't a film people were rushing to see. It wasn't even a standalone release. It was part of a triple feature as part of that springs Toei Animation Fair. Digimon was at the bottom of the list of what people were going to see. They were going to see Dr. Slump and Yu-Gi-Oh.

The way you think things work in the business is clearly not correct. I'm also not really sure why you've mentioned Re:Digitize at all, especially since you don't really explain what the context was (it's suggested by what you were talking about, but not very well.) You seem to think the intro animation for Re:Digitize was an OVA?
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Fourteen out of fifteen* Adventure kids and their Digimon are being crammed into what will be, at minimum, a 1hr 30m film.
    I'm sorry but who are the 15 Adventure kids that are supposed to appear? Aren't they 13 counting Meiko? 8 original+4 02 and Meiko? Who are the extra 2?

If I lived in Japan I would definitely go for an option that includes a Blu-Ray lol

Man this is awesome and I'm so jealous. I wish I could easily give them my money.
    Mimi Tachikawa fanboy and proud of it.

I come from the net
    Having Kenji designing your fanmade digimon partner is really great honor and Ultimate Wet Dream!

*Thinking of my WildGaomon (African Wild Dog) and Wingmon Series or other fanmade digimon ones being designed by him* How awesome is that... Shame and pity I just cannot reach my dream too bad. But I hope twitter will show the galleries of the lucky ones having their partners designed.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by arisniko1 View Post
    Fourteen out of fifteen* Adventure kids and their Digimon are being crammed into what will be, at minimum, a 1hr 30m film.
    I'm sorry but who are the 15 Adventure kids that are supposed to appear? Aren't they 13 counting Meiko? 8 original+4 02 and Meiko? Who are the extra 2?
    I'm assuming they were counting the 02 kids as being six kids, and momentarily forgot that there's a two-kid overlap between 01 and 02.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by arisniko1 View Post
    I miscounted. My bad!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast