With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

20 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

Another anniversary, and it's a big one!

It's been 20 years since the English dub of Digimon premiered.

It premiered on Fox Kids on August 14th, 1999 on Saturday in the USA! The first episode was "And So It Begins..."

We're in the 20th Anniversary for the show in both Japanese and English now! We've been getting a ton of great news and info about the brand in general. Coming soon is the new movie, games, products, and just stacks of fun stuff!

How/When did you first see the dub, and any fun memories about it
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I first saw it when it premiered... 20 years ago today lol. Loved it, was sad when Frontier was moved to UPN and I couldn't watch it anymore (the UPN affiliate always had really poor reception where I grew up and while the Fox affiliate usually did too, we got the Bay Area Fox affiliate KTVU2 more regularly).

Actually met my fiance through mutual love of Digimon, so it's definitely been a big part of my life these past 20 years. Watched tri and Appmon for the first time with him and it was great. We're both looking forward to Last Evolution Kizuna.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I'm not sure of the exact date, but I caught the anime, however it would've been a re-run, because whilst enjoying it my parents picked up Digimon World 1, which appears to have come out in 2001 for Europe, so I guess that's when I first saw it. Makes sense too, since I saw 01 and 02 back to back as a kid and I recall seeing Tamers not too long afterwards, so I guess I didn't see it as early as everyone else lol, but on the flip side I did get to have World 1 and three seasons of the anime in quite the fast succession and then spent most of my childhood, and even life, replaying those PS1 games and then moving up to DS (I never did get any of the GBA games other than Battle Spirit 2, which had Frontier which didn't air in the UK so I was confused and didnt play it lol). I suppose it was beneficial I got to see them all in a row like that, as it did help me become more of a fan than waiting for years... I guess. It seems it was around April 2001 or so, as I specifically remember getting World 1 as a "easter gift", lol. and then my first play session, I got a Nanimon... and never got a Nanimon in world 1 again. Shame. Nice memories though, oh my absolute number one franchise that I have sunk waaaaay too many hours in.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    I first saw it when SMTV:Live (ITV's Saturday morning kids programme, infamously hosted by Ant & Dec) started showing it at some point in 2000. I might be remembering wrong, but I believe they aired it instead of Pokemon that week, which is surprising in hindsight because that was always their biggest draw. Evidently I missed the first episode, but they were showing Episode 2, so I checked it out and was instantly hooked.

I later got a second chance to watch it from the beginning as CITV (back then, their weekday kids programme) got to Episode 27, left us on the cliffhanger with Tai banging the gateway door... and then looped back to Episode 1.

The scheduling was a little inconsistent, and I ended up missing Episode 20 both times it aired - which is ironic, because my all-time favourite Digimon debuted in that episode; MetalGreymon.

I actually heard about the show from friends in the 3rd grade talking about it as a “cooler” alternative to Pokémon. I finally managed to catch it on tv one Saturday morning at my Grandma’s house (though I mistakenly thought an episode of Monster Rancher I caught was Digimon at first, starting another long term franchise love for me). The first episode I saw was the episode when all of the Champion Digimon are reuniting to fight Devimon after being separated. That was followed by Patamon’s evolution to Angemon and I thought at the time “Great! I’m starting at the last episode...” Luckily, I was wrong. I then mainly caught the earlier episodes on VHS and recorded the entire 8th child marathon on (at the time) FoxKids network. I still had that old recorded VHS for many years. While the dub does hold a nostalgic place in my heart, a couple of years ago I finally sat down to watched the original subbed version, and that’s now my preferred way to watch/think about Digimon. I just finished 02 subbed (which, where the first season was fairly comparable if a little more “kiddy” the 2nd season is a vast improvement in its original language). Finally getting to Tri before I hit up Tamers subbed.

Add DazzleDream on Steam
    I first saw it on network 2 in Ireland. I was in my grandparents' house and randomly tuned into the middle of the second episode. Something about it intrigued me so I started taping episodes to watch when school was over. Before long I was a die-hard fan!

Add Mugenlazlo on DeviantArt
    I was 5 when the show first aired in the USA. Now, I am 25 and I still watch the show to this very day.

Add Rexanimon on DeviantArt
    I was in second grade and all of the kids in class were talking about Pokemon. So the one day I flipped over to Fox Kids and thought it was Pokemon at first. It took me a little bit to realize that it wasn't Pokemon but from then on out I was hooked and grew to love the show far more than I loved Pokemon (although don't get me wrong, Pokemon is still up there). I still remember what episode it was too (episode 2 of Adventure, when Agumon digivolves to Greymon and defeats Shellmon). It's insane to think that was 20 years ago now...
    Follow me on Insta!
    @rexanimon

Add Mugenlazlo on DeviantArt
    Don’t you just miss the old days of Saturday Morning Cartoons?

It's official i'm ancient

Now, I don't remember how it all began for me, which was the first episode I watched, but I do remember Koushiro's episode with ultimate evolution to AtlurKabuterimon was what got me hooked into it, since I didn't get to watch first episodes - that came a year later, but villains really got me into it and the whole concept of parallel dimension digital monsters bought me instantly, especially since I watched it first in Japanese and later Tamers (which I caught and stick with till the end) in German made it the best anime. 02 was on my priority list to watch since I heard there was twin version of Wargreymon in it, but the tv station already moved to newer Digimon series so internet gave me that pleasure years later.
    Oh and I do remember that my first digimon cards were Sora's Birdramon and Meramon

Wow 2 decades gone so fast cool for Digimon franchise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast