With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Trying to understand the history of Digimon...

Trying to understand the history of Digimon...

Please bear with me, I have only had a superficial knowledge of the series until I got more interested as of late. Does Digimon have "generations" like Pokémon? Or do new Digimon just get released whenever Bandai feels like it would help marketing?

There are so many Digimon and I'm just trying to understand the timeline of how they all interconnect... Thanks for your help and patience.

To answer your question... they don't really have "generations" least not like the Pokemon games. But new Digimon do tend to get released with the card games, new TV series, movies and of course the V-pets. For the most part there isn't really a chronological order to which Digimon come from which timeline. Unlike, say, Gen II Pokemon that originate from Johto.

Even now as new Digimon get released we're still finding out about Digimon that originated from different parts of the Digital World's history.

What caught your interest in Digimon?

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    It would seem that there are parallel digimon universes with different digital worlds (or different digital worlds under different servers). In this case, the history of Yggdrasil/Royal Knights digital world would be different than the Olympic 12 digital world.
    In anime, each season's digital world is different i.e. Adventure's digital world is different than Tamers' digital world and these two digital worlds seem to have a clearly different history and so on...

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Digimon are released at random, whether it be a new V-pet, game, anime episode, manga chapter - or even a toy. Hell, Bandai once had a Digimon debut in a tweet.

The only way for something like this really, would be to go by the year Digimon are introduced. So like, Digimon introduced in 1998, 1999, etc, if you want that as a "generation".

Wikimon has a handy list here and you can each year there.

https://wikimon.net/Category:Digimon...f_introduction

someone on Reddit mentioned you may have to make an account to see the entries, though, so if nothing shows up, do that.

Short answer: Generations and a cohesive history are not really a thing.

Long Answer:
    A sort of generational divide only existed in the very early days when the majority of Digimon were released through the waves of different V-Pet versions. The concept is still apparent in early entries of the franchise, such as Adventure’s file Island arc mostly featuring Digimon from the first “Digital Monster” V-Pets before moving on to mainly featuring Digimon originating in the Pendulum in later arcs. The V-Tamer manga likewise made a distinction between File Island (Digital Monster) Digimon and the Folder Continent (Pendulum) Digimon. So indeed, a very general regional subdivision was possible back then and was still somewhat relevant for the later V-Pets that continued to introduce more areas associated with their setting such as the WWW-Continent and most prominently the New Digital World in the Pendulum X (The latest V-pet are now breaking that trend by newly revisiting “older” areas). In the big picture however these local groupings are basically meaningless, as V-pets are of very little importance by now in general, and especially since most stories in the franchise do not take place in the same world as the V-Pets and any Digimon Species can appear anywhere at any time as far as they’re concerned.

There are Digimon that can of course be grouped thematically and connected to certain franchise entries. It wouldn’t be wrong to consider the X-Digimon released between 2002 and 2005 the first and the ones released through the more recent Digital Monster X pets to be second “generation” of X-Digimon although this is not an all inclusive franchise spanning distinction.
    Similar distinctions can be made in the case Xros Wars era Digimon as well as the Appmon which tend to be grouped in their distinct and somewhat isolated contexts.

Besides those very special cases, you don’t really need to bother with dates, the year of a release tells you very little about a Digimon’s relation to others, as even Digimon released nowadays still reference Digimon released far earlier and their in-universe point of origin is similarly unpredictable.
    Story and media connections, regardless of date, would be of more use.

Generally there is little in the way of specific groupings and relations that would cover significant chunks of the digimon population. Base aspects such as attributes, fields and types don’t tend to say anything too specific about a species and are therefore of little use when it comes to categorizing anything on a large scale.
    The relationships most often featured in the lore are on a much smaller scale, elaborating a species place within a specific organization like the D-Brigade the Royal Base or the Crack Team, or perhaps the workings of a more prominent group such as the Royal Knights or SGDL. But this information is again too specific, only applying to about a few dozen species at the most, to mean much for “Digimon” as a concept.

Seeking clarity in a timeline is especially bound to fail; Digimon has countless very different worlds with different timelines and even restricting yourself to the general lore won’t result in much useful data.
    Not only is there only a very small percentage of species of which there is any indication of when that species could have arisen in the history of the digital world, but the history of the general lore itself is not very well defined, sometimes to the point of outright inconsistency.
    Much of this inconsistency can be easily traced back to the lore’s tendency to retroactively incorporate events and concepts from other parts of their franchise.

We know a few explicitly stated general "historical" concept, for example that at some point Digimon came into existence in the form of data achieving sentience (earlier sources specifically stating sentient computer viruses) but as far as an actual history of species or their ecosystem goes, there’s not too much to be found.
    Overall, we know that there was an ancient Digital World at some point, mostly ruled by Pharaohmon, that it was wild and chaotic and some serious shit went down between Lucemon and the Ten Ancient Warriors. We do not have any idea how exactly the ancient Digital world is connected to the “Genesis” of the Digital World as mentioned in the profiles of the GrandDracumon line, how exactly “prototype” Digimon like DORUmon and the experiments connected to it or what role Yggdrasil played back then. All we have are fragmentary concepts with no truly obvious way for connecting, which is fittingly reminiscent of our lack of knowledge about civilizations in early human pre-history.

Working your way through Digimon lore, as presented in the Reference Book or the various continuities of the different incarnations of the franchise might seem disorienting but is ultimately very rewarding, just don't hope too find too much consistency between everything. The tricky part is that there is no "safe path" to take that makes every subsequent part of the franchise follow "logically"; sooner or later you'll get to some story or setting that lays the rules out very differently than what you might be used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    Digimon are released at random, whether it be a new V-pet, game, anime episode, manga chapter - or even a toy. Hell, Bandai once had a Digimon debut in a tweet.
    Out of the six things you listed five are not random in any sense.
    The thought that major companies' marketing decisions would be ultimately random should seem absurd to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    https://wikimon.net/Category:Digimon...f_introduction

someone on Reddit mentioned you may have to make an account to see the entries, though
    Random Reddit person is wrong about that, unsurprisingly. All those pages are publicly accessible.
    Last edited by Theigno; 08-06-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I meant the category, apparnelty you can't see the entries on it unless you sign up and this is the pic he provided that shows no entries and then he said when he made an account he was able to see them

https://imgur.com/gallery/rr6qv2a

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    So indeed, a very general regional subdivision was possible back then and was still somewhat relevant for the later V-Pets that continued to introduce more areas associated with their setting such as the WWW-Continent and most prominently the New Digital World in the Pendulum X (The latest V-pet are now breaking that trend by newly revisiting “older” areas).
    What was WWW Continent ever used for by the way? Or Forest of the Gods, for that matter?

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    They were both used as locations in one of the electronic card games during the Savers era. I think that's about it. Notably, you fought Xuanwumon at Script Forest in the Forest of the Gods, Qinglongmon at WWW's Assembler Tower, and Zhuqiaomon at Boot Volcano.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

I thought it might be some Japan-exclusive thing. It would explain the lack of documentation online.