With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters

Leadup to Kizuna Week 1- Gundam Build Fighters

The leadup returning as a permanent ongoing feature is still one of the goals on our Patreon, but bringing it back as some pre-Kizuna fun seemed warranted.

Basically just some fun for people to maybe find some new anime to watch while waiting for new Digimon.

Overall streaming setups have changed in the half decade since we did this last time. I'll be checking to make sure things are reasonably available in the USA, but providers and potential costs have changed since before, so it's possible not everything will be on free providers (as an example, I believe Crunchyroll still offers free in the US, but not in Canada?)

I'll try and find one or two easy providers in the US, and some non-US ones if possible, but it might be on you to find where/how to watch the show/movie on your own, especially based on your location.

The general goal is just me suggesting things to watch that you guys might like, or might have a connection to Digimon in some way, and sometimes both.

Onto the show for week one... Gundam Build Fighters!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Like last time, I'll go over any notable things to warn about for anyone who likes to know...
    Very mild content warnings in general for this one. Light fanservice and super mild violence... at worst. Really this one doesn't need warnings.

The entire show can be watched on the following officially:
    Subbed on Crunchyroll- The link defaults to the sequel, Gundam Build Fighters Try, so pay attention to what show you are watching,.
    Subbed on Youtube
    Dubbed on Youtube
    Sunrise has put up the show in a number of other languages on their GundamInfo Youtube Channel

For this one we'll do Episodes 1 thru 9 of the original series (not Build Fighters Try.) This is right before a major tournament arc begins.

I would recommend that even if you prefer dubs, this might be one to skip the dub on. It was an English recorded Asia region dub that simply isn't very good.

I picked this one first because it honestly might be the best Digimon series there is without Digimon. A joke, but not as far off as you might think. The show skips over what Gundam normally does to make a show where kids have virtual battles with Gunpla that they build, and the overall mood of the show just matches Digimon insanely well.

Build Fighters had one season, then later a series with new characters and a jump of a few years, which should seem familiar. Build came back later with a new slightly more scifiy reboot, which again... familiar. Plus some OVAs with the original characters. (And it's sequel is named Try.)

The show itself has some great battles, a great sense of humor, and really does mesh with what Digimon fans like. On top of main characters that the show is focused around, it has a decent selection of secondary characters that include a slightly mysterious wise old man, and the main character's mother, who seems to enjoy shipping her son with his childhood friend.

As for major Digimon connections, there are actually quite a few, but we'll just go over a few...

Kenichi Ohnuki did character designs for Build Fighters, just like he did for AppliMonsters. He also directed a few episodes and the opening and endings, plus supervised character animation for the series. If you liked the character designs in Appmon, Build Fighters will fit in with you just right.
    Ryoko Shiraishi showed up as a ton of people in Xros and Hunters... Akari, ChibiKamemon, Mervamon, Opossumon/Cho-Hakkaimon, and she was even the hero in Re:Digitize/Decode. She plays Misaki in Build Fighters who shows up a few times throughout the series.
    Kotono Misuishi plays the main characters mom, and a few other roles. Tamers fans might recognize her as Minami from the first Tamers movie
    Kenta Miyake was Dynasmon in Frontier & Grizzmon in the Frontier movie, and plays a member of the student council in Build Fighters.
    Ryou Hirohashi was Watson in AppliMonsters and Susumu in Build Fighters
    Takaya Kuroda was NeoVamdemon in Xros Wars and Greco Logan in Build Fighters
    Yuichi Nakamura was Charismon in AppliMonsters and Ricardo in Build Fighters.
    Yuji Ueda was Kagura, one of the main villains in Savers Another Mission, Dinohumon in the Frontier movie, and Numemon in Digimon Adventure. In Build Fighters he plays the twins Mario and Julio.

Feel free to post as you wish in this thread. You can post as you are watching, episode by episode, when you finish. Whatever you want. Try and give it a couple days for later spoilers so people have time to try and view stuff without spoilers, while still interacting in the thread (especially if you decide to keep watching past the episode listed as the last one for the leadup.) If you watch one episode and it isn't for you, pop in to explain why. Have fun with it!

A new show/movie will go up each Sunday night (or early on Monday), but feel free to keep talking about older shows in their threads, or even watching past the listed episode.

If you want to chat in the Discord you can.

Hopefully you enjoy. Feel free to make any suggestions or ask an questions regarding the threads or the shows also. While it's not the first time we've done this, it has been awhile.

The last leadup from last time was Gundam Unicorn for reasons that were explained at the time (it's relation to how tri. was handled/distributed/etc was a decent chunk of it though.) A full list of prior leadup shows is included in that thread. Every once in awhile I may slip in an older leadup show for new people to see, and for people who saw them last time to comment further. There may be one or two 'guest' choices from other people.

I've embedded the Youtube version of episode 1 subtitled to help everyone get started.

Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow wildwing64 On Twitter Add wildwing64 on Facebook Add wildwing64 on Steam Add wildwing64 on DeviantArt
    At first I dismissed Build Fighters because of the very toyetic premise even compared to regular franchise entries. But curiosity and a need to fill that mecha void got the better of me and I ended up really enjoying it. I'd even go as far as to say it's one of my favourite Gundam shows.

Build Fighters tri. Try proved to be an even better sequel, but the spiritual successor Build Divers... well, it reminded me of Frontier in a sense that it had pretty good world building but a lacklustre plot and characters.

I come from the net
    This might be one of the few Gundam series I'd watch. This and the one with the Shining/God Finger. ...G? Anyway, this is the one with the MIL...Mom that people seem to like. A similar show to this I saw is LBX/Danball Wars.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I watched the whole series during the week. It was a very fun show! I do think that I like it rather better than I did the more typical Gundam series I've seen. Although it didn't occur to me while I was actually watching, the premise is a little reminiscent of Digimon Tamers, what with the characters being fans of a real media franchise. It's like if Tamers had been focused on virtual reality Hyper Colosseum battles instead of the route it did take. Build Fighters had some fun characters and some pretty interesting fights, and I'm curious to see what its various sequels are like.

I do have some comments to make about the ending. It was kind of strange to me that it ended with a Gunpla Battle tournament the following year, since the characters were at first under the impression that playing the game would no longer be possible. Obviously it was just a false assumption on their part, but it was still kind of jarring. I'm not sure why Reiji's jewel disintegrated either, unless it was just because it was "resonating" with that gigantic crystal when the latter was destroyed.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Build Fighters was very good indeed.

Shame about the later installments though.