With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Director Kakudou Shares His Adventure & 02 Comments from DigiFes Booklet

Director Kakudou Shares His Adventure & 02 Comments from DigiFes Booklet

A fun Sunday surprise!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

At DigiFes 2019, they sold a booklet/pamphlet that among many things, including comments and answered questions from various staff members.

Director Kakudou has shared his comments regarding Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02 that went into the book, and we already have a full translation of them!

The tweet also included a small message for the fans explaining his sharing of it:
    Currently, there will be many people enjoying themselves during DigiFes, but many will also not be participating. Since I was requested for just a comment for the pamphlet, I shall post it.

He shared them as 3 images in a tweet, they will be posted and quoted in the order they were.

-For the 20th Anniversary of Adventure, please leave a message for the fans who still love the work.
    I think that 02 is included in it to make it one series as a whole. There are many people who admire the words 'chosen children', but it not only meant having a partner Digimon, but also to be obliged as their duty to fight for the digital world. The children that saw the TV series back then, even without having to go through those fights, are all adults now with a lot of things happening in their lives. It would be nice if the Digimon were of some help to each of you. May you and your Digimon partner always be together.

Digimon Adventure 02 in 2000

-Please tell us about the ideas behind production and the feelings that were put into it at the time.
    There wasn't much precedent in the world for a sequel that takes place three years from now, and it was a challenge with regards to it being set in the near future from when it aired. That there are enemies in the human world, of the real world, on top of enemies of the digital world was also so the world could be expanded.

-As a sequel, are there any parts from the previous series where you went "I'm going to change that here?"
    The end of the first series got heavy, so I began [the next] by having it viewed in a brighter perspective. It ended up getting even heavier mid-series though, since there's no way to get away from the problems of life.

-Do you have a favorite episode or episodes?
    Just from the episodes that I was in charge of, the 13th and the last episodes. Hikarigaoka, which was used as a continuing stage from the first series, ended up being the place where Toei Animation temporarily moved to the following year due to rebuilding their offices. I found that to be a strange twist of fate.

Digimon Adventure in 1999

-Please tell us about the ideas behind production and the feelings that were put into it at the time.
    I started it by putting in as much as possible... all the interesting parts from TV, manga, books, etc. that I had been entertained by when I was a child, so that hopefully I could convey those feelings to the children back then.

-Please tell us your favorite episode or episodes. Please also give a reason.
    I was very careful that every child and Digimon on the regular cast were equally active, so being able to do that with other characters, such as their family and Wizarmon, were both good and the parts that I like.

-Please tell us your favorite memory with the cast.
    At the all-series goodbye party that included all four series up to Frontier, we said to meet again in 10 and 20 years, but I'm shocked that it actually happened. There are some people who we can't meet again, but I'm grateful that everyone treasures those days.

It's always fun to hear Director Kakudou's thoughts, as he often speaks in an unguarded way, and it's great to get these tidbits from him.

Huge thanks to onkei for the quick translation.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    A fun Sunday surprise!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

At DigiFes 2019, they sold a booklet/pamphlet that among many things, including comments and answered questions from various staff members.

Director Kakudou has shared his comments regarding Digimon Adventure and Adventure 02 that went into the book, and we already have a full translation of them!

The tweet also included a small message for the fans explaining his sharing of it:
    Currently, there will be many people enjoying themselves during DigiFes, but many will also not be participating. Since I was requested for just a comment for the pamphlet, I shall post it.

He shared them as 3 images in a tweet, they will be posted and quoted in the order they were.

-For the 20th Anniversary of Adventure, please leave a message for the fans who still love the work.
    I think that 02 is included in it to make it one series as a whole. There are many people who admire the words 'chosen children', but it not only meant having a partner Digimon, but also to be obliged as their duty to fight for the digital world. The children that saw the TV series back then, even without having to go through those fights, are all adults now with a lot of things happening in their lives. It would be nice if the Digimon were of some help to each of you. May you and your Digimon partner always be together.

Digimon Adventure 02 in 2000

There wasn't much precedent in the world for a sequel that takes place three years from now, and it was a challenge with regards to it being set in the near future from when it aired. That there are enemies in the human world, of the real world, on top of enemies of the digital world was also so the world could be expanded.

-As a sequel, are there any parts from the previous series where you went "I'm going to change that here?"
    The end of the first series got heavy, so I began [the next] by having it viewed in a brighter perspective. It ended up getting even heavier mid-series though, since there's no way to get away from the problems of life.

-Do you have a favorite episode or episodes?
    Just from the episodes that I was in charge of, the 13th and the last episodes. Hikarigaoka, which was used as a continuing stage from the first series, ended up being the place where Toei Animation temporarily moved to the following year due to rebuilding their offices. I found that to be a strange twist of fate.

Digimon Adventure in 1999

I started it by putting in as much as possible... all the interesting parts from TV, manga, books, etc. that I had been entertained by when I was a child, so that hopefully I could convey those feelings to the children back then.

-Please tell us your favorite episode or episodes. Please also give a reason.
    I was very careful that every child and Digimon on the regular cast were equally active, so being able to do that with other characters, such as their family and Wizarmon, were both good and the parts that I like.

-Please tell us your favorite memory with the cast.
    At the all-series goodbye party that included all four series up to Frontier, we said to meet again in 10 and 20 years, but I'm shocked that it actually happened. There are some people who we can't meet again, but I'm grateful that everyone treasures those days.

It's always fun to hear Director Kakudou's thoughts, as he often speaks in an unguarded way, and it's great to get these tidbits from him.

Huge thanks to onkei for the quick translation.
    I find it disrespectful that Kakudo's ideas in Last Evolution haven't been respected.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    It's probably for the best. Kakudo's had some weird ideas.
    MY PROJECTS
    Published books: Odd Lodgings, The Silent Garden & Darker Places, Collecting in Darkness & Other Stories
    Digimon Fan Fiction: The Call
    Card Games: Digimon Tactics and Shadow Stories [both in-progress]
    Questions or comments? Hit me up at #wtw on irc.rizon.net

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    You don't want Digimon vs aliens on the moon as an entire season?

Interesting, so Episode 13 was one of his favourites from 02! Makes you wonder why they never tried to expand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by toranks77 View Post
    I find it disrespectful that Kakudo's ideas in Last Evolution haven't been respected.
    Did he talk about any of his ideas specifically with regard to Last Evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by VanChizzle View Post
    Interesting, so Episode 13 was one of his favourites from 02! Makes you wonder why they never tried to expand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by toranks77 View Post
    Did he talk about any of his ideas specifically with regard to Last Evolution?
    No, he only said that he was working as a script director and that the producers decided to accept a proposal for the plot that he considered incompatible with the established. He has never come to talk about what ideas he had in his head.
    Some comment that the extraterrestrial is a rare idea ... Vademon is a digimon that was once an alien and entered the digital world and became a digimon. Isn't that really weird?