With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: New Series of Digimon Animated Shorts Announced, Crowdfunding Project, & Pop-Up Shop

New Series of Digimon Animated Shorts Announced, Crowdfunding Project, & Pop-Up Shop

A couple updates...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

A few different things to go over here. First is new key art above! It's a fun little party image.

Onto details of the crowdfunding project, which was less formally announced a few days ago.

Translation on these will be cleaned up later.

The new project, including the crowdfunding that was announced is the 'Digimon Adventure 20th Anniversary Memorial Story Project'.

They're stories that couldn't be depicted in Last Evolution. A series of short vignettes about the everyday life of some of the adult chosen children and their Digimon. Roughly 5 minutes each for 5 stories.

The idea behind doing crowdfunding for it was to simply allow them to be given directly to fans, rather than make them limited viewing specials at places (anyone who has missed out on various brand's special animations that only get shown at special events, places, etc. will know this is annoying. We didn't get the CGI ride animation shorts for almost a decade for example.)

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

There will be a Digimon shop on the 6th floor of the Shibuya Parco in late November. This will be a new pop-up store called the LB Pop-Up Theater, which will have a mini theater room in it. The Digimon store will be the opening/first content for this new Limited Base store, and the new shorts will be screened in the theater room.

The crowdfunding will be for Blu-rays of the shorts, rather than leaving them as limited screening content as mentioned above. In addition, crowdfunders can get entry to an early screening of Last Evolution Kizuna, an invitation to a post-recording of the Memorial Shorts (neither onkei or I are familiar with the way this is worded, we believe it's likely going to the studio and seeing the actors record the final dialogue for the shots), and 'the right to have their original Digimon drawn and made into a plush' by Kenji Watanabe, etc.

More details on both of both of these soon no doubt.

Update- Tweaked details above thanks to help from onkei.

Update- Better quality version of the key art image.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

So are they just crowdfunding or asking for submissions and and input? Cool either way. Hopefully with the inevitable dubbing of Kizuna we get these shorts dubbed as well, although I can see that maybe being a bit beyond the usual scope?

Quote Originally Posted by BlankShell View Post
    So are they just crowdfunding or asking for submissions and and input? Cool either way. Hopefully with the inevitable dubbing of Kizuna we get these shorts dubbed as well, although I can see that maybe being a bit beyond the usual scope?
    At the moment it's hard to say.

Shorts like this we often don't get. Yo Son Goku for example we didn't get. The Super Bardock special we did get, as a subtitled extra on 'one' video game release.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Making some shorts sounds like a great idea to me. As several people have said, the entire Adventure and 02 cast is a lot for one movie, so it would be nice to have shorts about them to flesh everything out more.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Mini ovas sounds interesting though I doubt they get dubbed.

I was originally hoping for the five stories to focus on flashbacks of Yamato, Kōshirō, Mimi, Jō, and Hikari because I desperately want their original, non-tri. voice actors to return in some capacity. But given recent news, I suppose we have to consider the possibility of the Zero Two children (and actors) appearing now, don't we? Very exciting, either way.

Hopefully the crowdfunding project is something international fans can get in on. I want to own the blu-ray, too!
    Last edited by MagicBox; 07-28-2019 at 03:11 PM.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Shorts sound like a good idea, they could release one every month and most of us would be happy... It would be amazing if it continued outside of just these five shorts though, if it's what I think it is, plus:

I know there's been fan creators making animated videos and running their Patreon (subscriptions) with this format and it's somewhat a sustainable venture as well (if they advertised enough through their social media).
    Last edited by aytimothy; 07-28-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Updated the translation of the details above.

Also added a better quality version of the key art image.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    I was originally hoping for the five stories to focus on flashbacks of Yamato, Kōshirō, Mimi, Jō, and Hikari because I desperately want their original, non-tri. voice actors to return in some capacity. But given recent news, I suppose we have to consider the possibility of the Zero Two children (and actors) appearing now, don't we? Very exciting, either way.

Hopefully the crowdfunding project is something international fans can get in on. I want to own the blu-ray, too!
    The most likely is that these shorts will use the new seiyuus (adventure or 02 cast).

It would be unlikely they will contact non-tri seiyuus for shorts, when they have hired all the new cast for the movie.

I come from the net
    Making shorts? You know, OVAs could be fun. Maybe a quick short for each character. They do that for other shows so it might be fun.