22 Years since Digimon Premiered in English

MarcFBR

Big Cheese
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Anniversaries are always fun, and it is time for a big one!

normal_raster_2_4A300.png

It's been 22 years since the English dub of Digimon premiered.

It premiered on Fox Kids on August 14th, 1999 on Saturday in the USA! The first episode was "And So It Begins..."

digimonadventure_cleankeyart_march6_2019.jpg

In the past year we've gotten Kizuna coming out in various video formats, a full year of a new version of Adventure, tons of products, and just an amazing amount of stuff that's been reasonably accessible to fans outside of Japan. And it doesn't seem likely to stop anytime soon.

Kind of fun to have the 14th be a Saturday this year, with a new Digimon episode premiering also.

How/When did you first see the dub? Any fun memories about it?

Attachments

• article.jpg
    article.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 16,580

Eitaroutarouman

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I can feel my body crumbling into dust. God, I was six back then.

AppliFang

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
That zoom out fall from the cliff?! on Fox? Sat mornings? Ohh the feels!! lol xD

Ghost game should start off with "And So It Begins..." too ^^

Louise

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Oh, I feel so old now. I was such a Pokémon kid that the "Mon" part immediately caught my attention back then. Came for the monsters, stayed because I actually enjoyed Adventure. I don't have any specific memories of watching the show, but I remember being so jealous of my friend getting a ton of Digimon cards for his birthday when they first came out in the states. I know it's petty, but he didn't even like Digimon!

Paruseruru mafubu

I'd rather roll
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I am getting old. I remember that Saturday morning, cartoons like Woody Woodpecker was airing and the animated Xena and Hercules trailer was being shown over and over. We were huge Fox Kids going all the way back to Spider-Man and Batman the Animated Series years earlier and I remember being really excited for Digimon because they had a Dinosaur. Lol. I had the first V-Pet from Toys R Us (RIP) so I was hooked right away.

I miss those Saturdays a lot, waited all week to park in front of the television. No social media, no internet, no smartphones.

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Being in the UK, my first experience with Digimon came about after seeing a trailer for it on CITV with the infamous "First there was Pokemon!" tag.

Having only terrestrial at the time I only ever got to see Adventure (which I made sure to record every episode of), a good two thirds of 02, and about a couple of episodes of Tamers before it got pulled completely.

Other then that, I had to make do with Monster Rancher on CBBC. So that was the triumvirate of Mon Anime.

Unknown Neo

You got in
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Yay! This is what led most of us here(after a while) So hooray! ...Did anyone else have it start over right before we got to the Deivmon episode? The one they edited because they took a bath. I thought Patamon was going to evo on that ep since the rest were evo-ing in each ep.

ninjafox1989

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Being in the UK, my first experience with Digimon came about after seeing a trailer for it on CITV with the infamous "First there was Pokemon!" tag.

Having only terrestrial at the time I only ever got to see Adventure (which I made sure to record every episode of), a good two thirds of 02, and about a couple of episodes of Tamers before it got pulled completely.

Other then that, I had to make do with Monster Rancher on CBBC. So that was the triumvirate of Mon Anime.

Same here, my first experience of Digimon was on CITV.
Missed episode 1 and started part way into episode 2 when the Digidestined were been carried down the river. My first thought was it seemed ok but was a Pokemon rip off, a few episodes later I was hooked and thought it was so much better than Pokemon.

I remember recording each episode so could watch it but it was awful if you had a power cut and you pressed rewind only to find it wasn’t there!

Does anyone know the exact dates CITV first aired Adventure? I feel like it was about March 2000 time.

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Does anyone know the exact dates CITV first aired Adventure? I feel like it was about March 2000 time.

Hmm I'm tempted to say it was later than that. I know SMTV Live was still going when Digimon aired (as they used to show the 6th Episode a week on that - i almost missed the Devimon vs Angemon ep cause of it lol).

McGann

Completely digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
My memories are hazy. I couldn't remember if it was on the Jamie Rickers 'Up on the Roof' block. All I remember is missing chunks, sometimes whole episodes, because my mum would rather watch the news. I had to haggle a lot to get my Digimon viewing in.

Last edited:

Mon-Ohma

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Additionally, I recall it coming top in the votes during ITV’s ‘Day of Promise’.

ninjafox1989

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media

Hmm I'm tempted to say it was later than that. I know SMTV Live was still going when Digimon aired (as they used to show the 6th Episode a week on that - i almost missed the Devimon vs Angemon ep cause of it lol).
The reason I feel it was on early in 2000 was I saw it before I finished junior school which was in July 2000 but it could have been May I guess.

I did miss the Devimon vs Angemon ep and until I read your post just now always thought it was because I didn’t know when it was on CITV and forgot to record it, never knew SMTV showed it! I also missed ep 7 which going by the 6 eps a week would be why I missed that one as well.

Thanks for helping me understand why I missed it!

Vande

Roll Roll, Critical, Critical
Staff
Admin
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol no problem. I know they did a weird thing with the 02 stuff as well. Remember they skipped the ending a few times, then decided to have a Digimon Marathon boxing day morning in which they showed the 02 ending!

ninjafox1989

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
Lol no problem. I know they did a weird thing with the 02 stuff as well. Remember they skipped the ending a few times, then decided to have a Digimon Marathon boxing day morning in which they showed the 02 ending!
CITV we’re all over the place with Digimon, I remember them restarting the original Adventure from episode 1 a few times.
Likely because they had only got the rights to x amount of episodes.

That must have been a nice Christmas treat for 02 fans to get to see the last ep at last, although knowing how bad the epilogue is perhaps they would have been better missing it! Lol

ShiroXT

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was six as well, it makes you feel old when you watched a show for more than 20+ years and it is still going strong.

ninjafox1989

Ain't got no mojo...
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I was six as well, it makes you feel old when you watched a show for more than 20+ years and it is still going strong.
Know how you feel I was just 10 when I first saw Digimon.

At least the series is still going strong instead of not at all.

Amandil7

I'm going digital
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I feel so old! *cries in 32*

Muur

How deep the rabbit-hole goes
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
I don't remember any episode airing shenanigans when I watched Digimon in the UK on Fox Kids and I'm pretty sure I watched it around the time they aired

Dynamicmon

Junior Commander
Show User Social Media
Hide User Social Media
in conclusion:
everyone is an old person

also
weird thing i noticed when thinking back to my first time watching the series

with shows like Pokemon, YuGiOh, and Digimon
for some reason the first episode i watched was the 2nd.
I dont know why that kept happening