With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A List of Things Digimon Did First (over Pokemon).

A List of Things Digimon Did First (over Pokemon).

I know Digimon vs Pokemon topics can be hackneyed but hopefully this specific topic is part of that group. This list is not to say that Pokemon has ripped off elements of digimon. I think each franchise can find ways to expand upon it's world without "ripping off" the other. This isn't even to say that one franchise found inspiration from the other because such really can't be proven. A lot of these new features of Pokemon on this list can be seen as natural progressions for Pokemon. So this is just for fun.

The list is more about features of the respective worlds that may or may not function as game mechanics.

Supersized monsters: I've seen some people are less than thrilled about supersize Dynamax Pokemon being the next big thing for the franchise after Mega Forms and Z-moves. I find the description and aesthetic- especially with the form change in Gigantamax Pokemon- to basically be Season 1's Champion evolution. The supersized Champions were certainly an appeal for kids getting into Digimon even if they scaled back in later generations.
    Alien Monsters:
    These numbered villainous other-worldly 'mon-like sentients known as Ultra Beasts or the forms of the D-Reaper. But while we can see the Ultra-Beasts full assimilation within the Pokemon franchise world we haven't seen the D-Reaper forms since the Coliseum TCG, right?

Super Powered Moves: Take any Z-move from Pokemon and ask if its a Digimon or Pokemon technique. To anyway who didn't know about these knew Z-moves they'd probably bet it was a Digimon attack. The dramatic names are certainly on Digimon-like appeal.

Mega-Evolution?:
    It wouldn't be accurate to suggest just based of the name MEGA that the evolution is similar in function to ULTIMATE and Super Ultimate stage Digimon. The connection is thin and based on a translation. However all the characteristics of Mega Evolution have been prominently done by Digimon for years before the advent. Evolution by means of an intense bond? A Digimon Hallmark. A form change that is temporary? That's the appeal of Digimon's anime evolutions. A power boost for in battle only? Burst modes. A supercool, sharper, sleeker, bolder form of your favorite mons? We have X-Antibody Digimon for that. I think the exist of mega form Pokemon is most like X-Antibody Digimons. Both "gimmicks" deserve to stick around.

Regional Varients: I just saw the user SMite on here make the comment that Alolan forms are basically "mutated Digimon." Yup, SnowAgumon, MoriShellmon... Actually this is what made me want to write this post.
    I suppose to summarize this post I'd say: GameFreak realized with generation 6 that they had to start adding truly dynamic new features to their tried and true world of Pokemon. Most of these new features have been welcomed widely but interestingly has already been done by Digimon, a franchise that has had a more broad world and routinely experiments and shakes things up. By the way: I think the list can be also written the other way around- "A List of Things Pokemon Did First" but I think that would be a smaller list because Pokemon, unlike Digimon, has largely been consistent through all its media. But I welcome any replies with that inversion!
    Last edited by Kotekuma; 07-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    My new and improved Digimon index!
    https://airtable.com/shr2CxL7m74ltmu...NVr6raDlOIMJae
    If you take a look, let me know what you think!

You mentioned my comment, nice. I kind of wonder if these Pokemon features were inspired by Digimon. There is a slim chance it was but I doubt it since Digimon hasn't been that much relevant these past years. Also, I hope this doesn't devolve into drama like most Digimon vs Pokemon threads.

I come from the net
    Pokefans often mention about how Pokemon designs gotten drawn Digimon-ish and other way, some other designs gotten cuter and simpler. I find it extremely funny because I saw pokemon fanarts end up "edgier" besides realistic and artistic styles. Oh yeah Digimon designs could be hit or miss. Only there is common pattern in both designs that is their "Original design tradition of designs" where fans loved is fading away... Although Kenji didn't lose it.

Tons of complaints towards Pokemon designs for being "reused" designs in some patterns and Digimon designs for having ton of "humanoids" and more dragon types. But I find it how strange, they never complain about having Pokemon "Flying" types, I do see tons of bird and rodent-related species in Pokemon...

"Eaters" Digimon Cyber Sleuth's first appearance came first before that alien "Jellyfish" lifeform outside of Pokemon species appeared in similar manner of popping out of the "wormhole" in Pokemon Sun/Moon. But I I really find it bizarrely.... How come those new aliens doesn't count as Pokemon while "alien" outer space pokemon species are still counted as Pokemon.... I don't understand that logic well.

Super Powered moves are almost like Digimon's attacks involved with massive size attacks but limited to only elemental types let it be destructive or supportive.

Massive size increase are like how Digimon species tend to have varied sizes but what about "Totem"? Is it... really necessary?

Mega Evolution in Pokemon felt more of "X Antibody" IMO

Pokedex is famous for weird stories or really creepy while Digimon profiles mention so vaguely or loosely. But I felt like it's how they execute this in similar way... Somewhat. I know Digimon official profiles only shown on the internet so it didn't count as "Digimon" did first...

I have a feeling about "Alolans", "Mega evolution" and massive size increase (New features in Sword/Shield) just appear once and vanish afterward per new games.... (For obvious reasons with gamedata sizes and other things involved with issues)

Honestly Pokemon gotten new features that are pretty similar to Digimon have those which it made Pokemon lost its own appeal in my view. It's just me. But is it necessary to add more and more new things on Pokemon enough to loose so massively?

Your rant reminds me of how Pokemon fans are mad that they can't transfer Pokemon from other generations in Sword and Shield.

I come from the net
    My rant? Wha? Hmm interesting.

Can't transfer Pokemon. I'm not sure why but I guess it's probably just their efforts all Pokefans put their experiences in so they have reasons to get mad for letting their efforts wasted for nothing or wanna transfer their favorites for personal reasons? (I have zero idea of what's going on)

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    there is also Pokemon Ami in which you feed and care for your pokemon aswell as Supertraining, both things that are very similair to the early Tamagochi like days of Digimon aswell as the World games.

also i want to note that i always have to facepalm at Pkm fanboys who think that Digimon ripped of Pokemon, not even are they vastly different but the stuff they claimed was ripped of came from earlier monster catching games like Dragon Quest and Megami Tensei, especially the later inspired both mon franchises (teens in a modern setting going onto an adventure, getting lifeforms that can be digitalized and stored on a portable device, that also contains a profile of the creature)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Hawk View Post
    My rant? Wha? Hmm interesting.

Can't transfer Pokemon. I'm not sure why but I guess it's probably just their efforts all Pokefans put their experiences in so they have reasons to get mad for letting their efforts wasted for nothing or wanna transfer their favorites for personal reasons? (I have zero idea of what's going on)
    It's a long story and I don't which side i'm in.
    Last edited by SMite; 07-19-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Poke Pelago is totally the Digi-Farm from the Story games. But honestly most of the examples here are just like, typical Japanese media tropes more than anything. The cinematic super moves, the powered-up forms, hell the upcoming Dynamax and especially Gigantamax mechanics literally turn Pokemon battles into kaiju battles. Although I will admit it is fun to point out whenever Pokemon does something that Digimon did years ago, just as a counter to the ubiquitous and annoying claims that Digimon is just a Pokemon ripoff. :P

Another copy that Pokemon copy is recolors. Both Digimon and Pokemon came out with their alternates in 1999, but Pokemon came out with Gold and Silver in November of 1999, while Digimon came out when Digimon World 1 came out in January of 1999.
    Try my quiz on Sporcle. My name is CuddyFox on it. Have fun with the quizzes. I worked hard on them. I made some of them easier. https://www.sporcle.com/playlists/CuddyFox/digimon-time

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Gen 5 has Pokemon Fusion

One of the Pokemon Manga has human/pokemon fusion

talking monsters

in super mystery dungeon, they have warp evolution to their max stage, that buffs stats, and then they revert back to the original

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast