With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Producer Habu Answers More Questions Fans Sent in For Anime Expo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Producer Habu Answers More Questions Fans Sent in For Anime Expo

A fun little addition...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Thanks to a few different tweets from Producer Habu, it appears that Digimon game staff members will see what further Anime Expo questions they might be able to answer that had been sent in by fans.

This was posted as a series of 5 tweets by Habu (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). Each tweet is being posted here as a separate paragraph.

Some of the most received questions for Anime Expo were: About the systems in Survive, and Will 'this' Digimon appear in a game? These questions showed up a lot. I couldn't answer all that were received, but I'm currently in discussion with other staff as to which questions we can pick up and answer.

There was an interesting question. "At the time Digimon was created, the internet and digital technology were for a limited number of people, but after 20 years, the internet and technology have changed to something everyone uses on a daily basis. How should Digimon change with the changed worldview?

I think it's a great question that should be discussed with everyone, not just me. I'd like to hear Mr. Kakudou and Mr. Konaka's thoughts on it as well.

When reflecting the change from digital being an unknown thing into something that has become a part of everyday life, I think that it is necessary that the balance of fantasy and reality should be customized so that they don't contradict the basic settings. Cyber Sleuth was one of those outputs in my case.

As an LCD toy, Digimon was strongly pushed as an AI program, but in the anime they were depicted as lifeforms of a different world, partner Digimon that evolve based on a bond with humans. They are depicted as their human's other half, and I think that this point allows the Digimon to have a more established character.

It mostly relates to one specific question, but it's a generally interesting one, moreso that he wants to hear the input of those related to the anime, along with him bringing up why the games have, over time, skewed more and more to have anime-like elements in them.

Thanks to onkei for the translation.

Hopefully we get more of these soon!

The various upcoming Digimon games produced by Habu that are currently up for pre-order: (affiliate links)
    Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth- Complete Edition for Switch
    Digimon Survive for PS4
    Digimon Survive for Switch
    Digimon Survive for Xbox One
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Add saifors on DeviantArt
    If I'm not mistaken wasn't Tamers very big on the Digimon being really advanced AI, and Frontier and Savers Digital World also incline very heavily on being a real "Digital" world.
    I prefer this way more than Kakudou's representation of it, this is Digimon, not Yokai Watch.

Habu is one of my favorite people alive. I'm a massive fan of this man

Quote Originally Posted by saifors View Post
    If I'm not mistaken wasn't Tamers very big on the Digimon being really advanced AI, and Frontier and Savers Digital World also incline very heavily on being a real "Digital" world.
    I prefer this way more than Kakudou's representation of it, this is Digimon, not Yokai Watch.
    while I think that just having a game based on yokai doesn't justify a Yokai Watch comparison as there is nothing wrong with having more than one series that feature them, I do agree that I don't want Digimon to stray from a strictly artificial origin and that it does take away from a very large part of what made Digimon a unique series to me. However, of course, Digimon would most likely be the same series I love if it were the case as long as they don't push the idea onto everything which I doubt they will. This series also already has universes like you mentioned where they imply an artificial origin, so it already isn't a thing that would seem to affect all lores

Junior Commander
    Even in cases where the digital age technology sparked the creation of Digimon or even if AI was what they started out like, they still exist as independently-thinking, living creatures in a separate universe with its own rules, and manifest seemingly supernatural abilities even while existing in our own universe. None of that is artificial or technological to whatever extent, regardless of what sparked their existence. I don't see what difference it makes on any level what their actual origin was/is. ***

And to go a bit further with this, while Tamers was and is my favorite digimon series, the science they reference and how they use it was by far the worst aspect of the series. "Oh, people a few years ago created an AI, so of course we know how to manipulate the living, freely thinking, supernatural otherworldly creatures that they have become and have now entered our world!" was utter garbage.

It is very cool that technology is incorporated in the natural habitats of the digital world, that there are fundamental rules to their world and existence that correspond to principles of digital technology and programming, but that can very well be with or without a man-made origin of the digital world and its inhabitants. And it remains exclusive to the Digimon franchise and part of its appeal regardless. I deeply appreciate that different series/seasons focus on alternate origins, and I hope that the variety will only grow bigger, especially in cases where, like in the world of Adventure, there is enough airtime to actually explore the concept more.

But, most importantly, what does any of this have to do with this thread? If I am not reading the first post wrong, the only two remotely relevant references were 1. that in real life Digimon was marketed as a kind of AI when it was just a digital pet before the anime came out, and 2. a quoted fan question claiming that digimon were created when "the internet and digital technology were for a limited number of people" without making any statement about the kind of relation between the two. And it actually seems like the fan was talking about Digimon as a brand in general, hence the capital D and the use of "was" instead of "were" unless that was due to the translation. None of that seems to say anything whatsoever about Habu's or anybody else's views on the origin or existence of Digimon in any of the game or series worlds.

***: This is not true for a few games I think, where it is specifically stated that the digimon and their world were designed or man-made, but that always was extremely off-putting for me and made me feel a massive disconnect with what the story and characters were, since their importance is gravely diminished as a result.
    Last edited by Grimmon; 07-11-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Completely digital
    as far as I respect Kakudou as the original father of digimon adventure, we must admit that Kakudou was the one who started to make digimon's general image "vague", and inconsistent. Digimon was and is always about technological things, especially digital technology and computer-related thing. While Tamers might have much more respect to digimon's true origin, the other anime had failed to maintain this "image".

I don't really think that it's wrong to make digimon an "isekai" genre as what Adventure started from. But the more they make the anime, the more vague these "technological" stuffs and the correspondence with digimon itself. Started from Frontier, then Savers, and mostly XW, these "image" had been subtle and even more. Sure Appmon might've been taken this theme once again, sadly the execution was quite messy.

I really really hope that Habumon will make digimon more consistent with its original theme, there's nothing wrong with the human-digimon bonds from the anime, but the digital technology aspect must be kept.

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post
    as far as I respect Kakudou as the original father of digimon adventure, we must admit that Kakudou was the one who started to make digimon's general image "vague", and inconsistent. Digimon was and is always about technological things, especially digital technology and computer-related thing. While Tamers might have much more respect to digimon's true origin, the other anime had failed to maintain this "image".

I don't really think that it's wrong to make digimon an "isekai" genre as what Adventure started from. But the more they make the anime, the more vague these "technological" stuffs and the correspondence with digimon itself. Started from Frontier, then Savers, and mostly XW, these "image" had been subtle and even more. Sure Appmon might've been taken this theme once again, sadly the execution was quite messy.

I really really hope that Habumon will make digimon more consistent with its original theme, there's nothing wrong with the human-digimon bonds from the anime, but the digital technology aspect must be kept.
    Wasn't Kakudou only involved with Adventure, Adventure 02 and X Evolution?

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS24 View Post

Wasn't Kakudou only involved with Adventure, Adventure 02 and X Evolution?
    Indeed, but I think that he was the initial trigger. I mean, after him, so many representatives on TOEI that were given freedom how to interpret digimon to handle the anime or other media except probably the Vpet. Sure Konaka might had some respect for the origin of digimon, but after him I don't really think they've learnt about digimon well. Just see Frontier, Savers, and XW. I don't think they're bad anime at all, but from watching them, I began to think that I couldn't see the "digimon" aspect implemented in those series, and this was much more clear in XW. What's digimon-ish about Frontier, Savers, and XW? I probably can't really explain bcos I also think it was vague. What makes XW a digimon series that is "digimon"? digital world? I don't think so.

Some series might have told like XW that digital world preceded human world and made them visible by technology, but that's just some farfetch'd theory they put in the series without further explanation and implementation.
    Last edited by DATS24; 07-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Visit McGann's Youtube Channel
    I'm not too against Digimon as other-dimensional spirits made visible by technology. It doesn't necessarily negate their digital heritage. It could just mean that the metaphysics of the digital world go beyond what is currently understood by science. Like, Xros Wars even suggested that the Digital World preceded the Human World.
    Last edited by McGann; 07-11-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    "Never attempt anything without the gloves."

Follow Hanbei On Twitter
    Personally, i do prefer the more ambiguous supernatural-y depiction of Digimon. As McGann said, this doesn't necessarily exclude their digital nature.
    Yokai/Demons are often linked to human emotion, and the internet is full of concentrated human emotion. Hell, the way humans transmit their feelings through the internet was a crucial point in Our War Game, and even though i was first exposed to that movie through that awful 4kids edit, that concept always stuck with me as something very interesting. I think technology and "magic" aren't concepts that need to be at odds.

Regardless of what i think on that matter, i don't think that what Habu said in the last tweet necessarily excludes the "Digimon as AI" point of view. He's shown before that he prefers the "Digimon as beings" take on it, but the main thing i got out of that tweet is that Habu acknowledges that in Adventure, the digimon had personalities of their own that evolved alongside the personalities of the children. Digimon being a reflection of the protagonists' personal growths and struggles is one of the main themes of Adventure (so much so that Yamato spells it out at one point lmao), and that can work regardless of whether they are incredibly advanced AI or supernatural creatures. So long as that aspect is kept and done well, the actual origins of the monsters are kind of irrelevant. That's what i think, at least.

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanbei View Post
    Personally, i do prefer the more ambiguous supernatural-y depiction of Digimon. As McGann said, this doesn't necessarily exclude their digital nature.
    Yokai/Demons are often linked to human emotion, and the internet is full of concentrated human emotion. Hell, the way humans transmit their feelings through the internet was a crucial point in Our War Game, and even though i was first exposed to that movie through that awful 4kids edit, that concept always stuck with me as something very interesting. I think technology and "magic" aren't concepts that need to be at odds.

Regardless of what i think on that matter, i don't think that what Habu said in the last tweet necessarily excludes the "Digimon as AI" point of view. He's shown before that he prefers the "Digimon as beings" take on it, but the main thing i got out of that tweet is that Habu acknowledges that in Adventure, the digimon had personalities of their own that evolved alongside the personalities of the children. Digimon being a reflection of the protagonists' personal growths and struggles is one of the main themes of Adventure (so much so that Yamato spells it out at one point lmao), and that can work regardless of whether they are incredibly advanced AI or supernatural creatures. So long as that aspect is kept and done well, the actual origins of the monsters are kind of irrelevant. That's what i think, at least.
    I think that Cyber Sleuth actually already did both. Not only they see digimon as AI but also life being. This is why the game's quite questioning the moral of treating digimon whether as tools (just bcos they're programmed for) or life beings. And that a human can make bonds with this AI being to become stronger together.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast