With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Producer Habu Answers More Questions Fans Sent in For Anime Expo

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanbei View Post

This is certainly correct, but Digimon does not necessarily have to explain absolutely everything to properly take advantage of its setting. Perhaps while talking about ambiguity it might have looked like i was implying the setting is entirely irrelevant, and if that's the case, i failed to articulate my thoughts properly. Sorry.

Going back to Adventure, if i was told to boil the story down to its most important components (to me, at least), i'd say that the children's growth is reflected in their partners, and the conflict that sparks that growth is their transportation to an unfamiliar, dangerous and mysterious place. Insofar as the goal is presenting their growth as people alongside the Digimon partners' literal growth as they evolve, it doesn't really matter how said Digimon came to be. In the context of Adventure, i'd even say doing away with the mystery of Digimon, and by proxy, the Digital World, would do a far bigger disservice to the potential of the setting than remaining "cowardly" on the subject.
    Obviously, nothing stops other Digimon stories from focusing on other themes or messages, some of which could very well benefit from a less ambiguous approach to Digimon or the Digital World itself, but i don't think an Adventure-inspired setting like Survive needs that. From what you've said, i'm assuming this approach to Digimon storytelling isn't your favorite, and i can definitely understand why, but since marketing has made it very clear Survive is heavily inspired by Adventure, i'm personally hoping it will keep the aspects that made the show work for me, while also putting its own new spin on things.

Again though, the fact we can both have different opinions on what would make for a good story is the fun part of all this. Subjectivity is the soul of art, and without differing opinions discussions like this would be utterly pointless.
    I would agree with this. It's not even just that mystery is part of what makes the Adventure world work as a strange and unknowable place, it's also that Adventure 01 is trying very much to be mythologised or folkloric, establishing a sense that this is a kind of modern, digital version of a legend (and a lot of its episodic arcs are ripped straight from mythological tropes: 'A princess has to sing to wake up a king, but she secretly doesn't want to because she likes the attention,' or 'A boy falls into a mountain and has his curiosity stolen,' are not normal fiction tropes, they're fairytale stories), and that kind of atmosphere and creative direction doesn't necessarily match up well with complete, painstaking clarity. Folklore is very rarely clear, its meaning and influences tend to be distant to us and obfuscated. That sense of Adventure being folklore is why, for example, the narrator casually remarking that 'Yamato wandered into a dark cave,' and then the show never really explaining what the dark cave is works: Folklore, mythology, and fairytales often hinge upon 'and then something weird happened, who knows why.'

In-story, the explanation for this is that Adventure tends to only show its story from the 'ground level.' We experience this story nearly exclusively through the eyes of the main eight, and they almost never encounter people who have a complete and detailed knowledge of what's going on.

It's also why 02 tends to be comparatively a lot clearer and more didactic in its storytelling. 02 isn't folklore, it's a superhero story, complete with supervillains and a Kamen Rider expy, and superhero stories don't like having a lack of clarity that might distract from the punchy-punchy-action.

Follow Hanbei On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by WoolishlyGrim View Post
    It's also why 02 tends to be comparatively a lot clearer and more didactic in its storytelling. 02 isn't folklore, it's a superhero story, complete with supervillains and a Kamen Rider expy, and superhero stories don't like having a lack of clarity that might distract from the punchy-punchy-action.
    Wow, i actually never thought of it that way, but it makes a lot of sense! That explains the introduction of the whole "double life" aspect to the premise, where they go to school and live regular lives but go protect the digital world in their free time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123