With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cars and modern-looking cities in the Digital World?

  1. #1
    Ain't got no mojo...
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    File Island
    Age
    25
    Posts
    7
    Add VGCrasher on Steam

    Cars and modern-looking cities in the Digital World?

    Has Earth-like city and automobiles ever been shown to exist in the Digital World in any media of the series?

  2. #2
    Junior Commander frankiemon827's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    297
    Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    As for cities, something like New York, Rome and Paris appeared in Digimon Adventure as part of Machinedramon's metal empire
    as for cars, I remember an open window jeep used regularly by Arukenimon and Mummymon when travelling throughout different locations in digital world. Of course that famous tram in Adventure...

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Theigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,376
    Why would most Digimon care about cares when most of them seem to able to run and fly faster than human transportation would accommodate anyway?
    Anyway, Digital World location tend to be either primitive or futuristic, with little simply "modern" in between.
    We've seen space rockets and fancy tanks beyond any human technology in Frontier, but simply cars? Nope. The only modern-ish transportation method would be the Trailmon, which are Digimon themselves.
    It seems strictly human world technology and transportation appears mostly as artifacts in the digital world because if you think about it, it doesn't conform to most Digmon Body shapes and as pointed above they would get nothing out of it, even if it did.
    We occasionally have more modern looking Digimon Settlements in some media (again, a few more Frontier locations come to mind) and light City in Digimon next would probably have been a good example if it hadn't been blasted to pieces before the protagonists even got there.
    Last edited by Theigno; 07-07-2019 at 01:32 AM.

  4. #4
    I come from the net Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    2,414
    Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    The Digital World (or whatever it is, since they've now stated it's not the DW?) of Survive from the first screenshots they showed us has a police car in it.


  5. #5
    I'm going digital Grovyle48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    519
    Add Grovyle48 on DeviantArt
    Are we sure that's the Digital World? It could be the summer camp they disappear from. I guess it depends on what the sign says.
    My Royal Knights stories:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7922349/...Shining-Armour
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10931005/1/Holy-War

    Holy War Chapter 42 is posted.
    In it, the Royal Knights' war against the Seven Great Demon Lords is now in full swing.

    My Story blog:
    http://adragoninshiningarmour.tumblr.com/

  6. #6
    Ain't got no mojo...
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Mephisto's Cafe
    Age
    30
    Posts
    30
    Didn't Etemon drive around in some sort of truck contraption?

    I think it's all dependent on what the plot calls for. Lower technology levels typically makes civilization feel less established and more "wild" -- which tends to give a sense of unease and danger. Once you add technology there's the expectation of stability/progress, which makes things feel safer. You typically have to do more work to undermine a technological setting and add a sense of danger there -- a conspiracy, a dictatorship, etc. Or you have to blow it up.Drop someone in the middle of the wilderness and it's human vs nature and a need​ to survive.

    Not going to say for certain, but it's likely that the lower technology level is just easier danger to establish.

  7. #7
    I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,404
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    are we counting the Karts? i assume not...
    btw it would be pretty fun to have like a game/serie/manga with grown up Tamers and one of them gets into the portal with his car and they can just drive around with it instead of walking like they always do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamotz View Post
    Didn't Etemon drive around in some sort of truck contraption?
    Etemon had a Trailer drawn by a Monochromon.
    kinda weird since everything else he got was so high tech.

  8. #8
    I'm a Maniac
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    California
    Age
    33
    Posts
    124
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    No mention of the Digi-Beetle? For shame! But yeah, while it is a more fantastical automobile, it is an automobile all the same. Though, the eyes suggest that it too might be a digital life form rather than a pure mechanism (though not explicitly a Digimon; think more like Grani or Behemoth).

    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Why would most Digimon care about cares when most of them seem to able to run and fly faster than human transportation would accommodate anyway?
    Anyway, Digital World location tend to be either primitive or futuristic, with little simply "modern" in between.
    For what it's worth, Digimon do have a tendency to expend stamina. It might be offset by the fact that, in that world, protein-rich meat literally grows out of the ground, but it is nevertheless a reason for Digimon not wanting to expend any efforts while commuting (more so when you consider that not every Digimon is particularly fast; I don't think a KaratsukiNumemon would get very far traveling on foot).

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Theigno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    For what it's worth, Digimon do have a tendency to expend stamina.
    Cheap video game logic arguments aside that never seemed much of a factor to me. I donít recall many instances of Digimon above child level getting out of breath after travelling or getting used as transportation themselves even for long distances.
    The concept of ďStaminaĒ in Digimon seems to tend to become relevant in the case of long battles and all those physics defying attacks and abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    (more so when you consider that not every Digimon is particularly fast; I don't think a KaratsukiNumemon would get very far traveling on foot).
    Sure, but whatever vehicle a KaratsukiNumemon would need would have to be substantially different from any human built car in terms of construction and controls.
    That is the main issue with opening postís explicit restriction to earth-like cities and cars, disregarding (in a typical although perhaps unconscious case of Anthropocentrism) that the Digital World is not Earth and that Digimon are not human, so the nature of their technology would differ very much from ours for any number of practical reasons.

  10. #10
    I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,404
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    For what it's worth, Digimon do have a tendency to expend stamina.
    Cheap video game logic arguments aside that never seemed much of a factor to me. I donít recall many instances of Digimon above child level getting out of breath after travelling or getting used as transportation themselves even for long distances.
    The concept of ďStaminaĒ in Digimon seems to tend to become relevant in the case of long battles and all those physics defying attacks and abilities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    (more so when you consider that not every Digimon is particularly fast; I don't think a KaratsukiNumemon would get very far traveling on foot).
    Sure, but whatever vehicle a KaratsukiNumemon would need would have to be substantially different from any human built car in terms of construction and controls.
    That is the main issue with opening postís explicit restriction to earth-like cities and cars, disregarding (in a typical although perhaps unconscious case of Anthropocentrism) that the Digital World is not Earth and that Digimon are not human, so the nature of their technology would differ very much from ours for any number of practical reasons.

    i can cofirm that driving with your knees in the face is indeed very practical

    jk though they clearly didnīt went the extra mile for that game to make any sense at all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •