With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ReArise Updates- Rasenmon GM Images & Meaning, New Erismon Evo, & 1 Year Shikishis

Add Grovyle48 on DeviantArt
    I love Rasemon's designs. I also like the corrupted mode, but it's pretty different thematically.
    My Royal Knights stories:
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7922349/...Shining-Armour
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10931005/1/Holy-War

Holy War Chapter 42 is posted.
    In it, the Royal Knights' war against the Seven Great Demon Lords is now in full swing.

My Story blog:
    http://adragoninshiningarmour.tumblr.com/

Not a big fan of either of them to be honest.

I get that Rasenmon GM is supposed to be corrupted and damaged, but from some angles it looks like half of it is untextured and that just looks lazy instead of cool. The main problem here might just be that a wireframe simply isn't very interesting to look at compared to more organic damaged/unfinished looking designs like for example Nanomon and Andromon.

The "good" version of Rasenmon is basically a clusterfuck of concepts that simply don't fit together. I like complex and busy designs, but only when all the complexity comes together to form something coherent but not when it looks like pieces if differently themed model kits/ action figures have been randomly smashed together which is exactly how I feel about this design. The head looks like they started off with a knight/robot design that was simply abandoned from the head down (and the generic anime hair sprouting out of a bulky helmet looks very silly). The rest of the design awkwardly floats between trying to make the outfit look sophisticated and fashionable and random spiky feral battle gear clashing in an incredibly awkward way. By abstracting away the pure beast look and the more ragged functional clothing, the balance between the animalistic and civilized design elements that made WereGarurumon and to a lesser extent Stefilmon work visually is broken, leaving only an inconsistent mess. Commiting to either direction, either the more aggressive armored cowboy, or the fancy looking steampunk beast man would have made for much better design that could have actually worked with the beast part. MagnaKidmon's design showed how well a fusion of wild west and cyborg battle armor can be pulled off (even if it was flawed by the way of being rather monochromatic), while we could point towards Astamon and Lucemon FM as an examples of a civilized designs done right that still retain some monstrous features (note how especially in Astamon's case, we have beast parts that are consistently compartmentalized)

At least the color contrast looks fine and in general it's better than a generic mecha knight... but not by much.

I come from the net
    The evil form looks evil enough but I really like the normal form. Really fits well. Glad we have this now.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Not a big fan of either of them to be honest.

I get that Rasenmon GM is supposed to be corrupted and damaged, but from some angles it looks like half of it is untextured and that just looks lazy instead of cool. The main problem here might just be that a wireframe simply isn't very interesting to look at compared to more organic damaged/unfinished looking designs like for example Nanomon and Andromon.

The "good" version of Rasenmon is basically a clusterfuck of concepts that simply don't fit together. I like complex and busy designs, but only when all the complexity comes together to form something coherent but not when it looks like pieces if differently themed model kits/ action figures have been randomly smashed together which is exactly how I feel about this design. The head looks like they started off with a knight/robot design that was simply abandoned from the head down (and the generic anime hair sprouting out of a bulky helmet looks very silly). The rest of the design awkwardly floats between trying to make the outfit look sophisticated and fashionable and random spiky feral battle gear clashing in an incredibly awkward way. By abstracting away the pure beast look and the more ragged functional clothing, the balance between the animalistic and civilized design elements that made WereGarurumon and to a lesser extent Stefilmon work visually is broken, leaving only an inconsistent mess. Commiting to either direction, either the more aggressive armored cowboy, or the fancy looking steampunk beast man would have made for much better design that could have actually worked with the beast part. MagnaKidmon's design showed how well a fusion of wild west and cyborg battle armor can be pulled off (even if it was flawed by the way of being rather monochromatic), while we could point towards Astamon and Lucemon FM as an examples of a civilized designs done right that still retain some monstrous features (note how especially in Astamon's case, we have beast parts that are consistently compartmentalized)

At least the color contrast looks fine and in general it's better than a generic mecha knight... but not by much.
    Yeah I think that's the issue I was having with the normal form, too. I'm hoping that any sort of official art might be able to mitigate the design-incongruities with more consistent texturing and maybe even some dynamic poses. But it's still somethng that just looks too much. And this is even on the tail of the Seven demon lord X-antibody redesigns. This still seems just...overdesigned.

I come from the net
    New form of that Ultimate wears the white heroic scarf that is hard to see clearly. Scarf + Knight mask = absolute perfect epic

Wearing the claw pelt in fashion style kinda gave me a bit uncomfortable for strange reasons.

Ain't got no mojo...
    I think the issue with the non corrupted version is that there are too many design choices vying for dominance.

White scarf
    White pelt cloak/poncho
    trenchcoat looking thing around his waist (arguably part of the poncho?)
    Leather armor
    giant red spikes array all over the place
    crazy anime hair with 3(!!!) extra-prominent spikes
    gold whirlers around his wrists.

Theres nothing that really ties ties any of that together 6/7 equally prominent design choices end up making it feel overcrowded. If they’d cut 2 of them I think the design would be a bit more cohesive, but right now it’s like walking into someone’s house where they decorated their living room with a shag carpet, tye dye tapestry, a framed picture of the band Smash Mouth, a gramophone, a full size nativity scene, crystal chandeliers, and some cabinets from Target.

whoa, I did not expect the non-corrupted version to look so good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12