With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Franchises like Digimon

Banned

Question Franchises like Digimon

Do you know of any other franchises like Digimon out there?

These are the closest ones I could think of:
    1- Pokémon. No explanation needed.
    2- Monster Rancher. It's a tamagotchi-like monster concept, just like Digimon. The PS1 games were great.
    3- Telefang. Gameplay-wise, it's almost identical to Pokémon, but concept-wise, it's closer to Digimon, with monsters from the digital world.
    4- Jade Cocoon. You catch different monsters, train them and use them to battle against other monsters. Didn't try the second game, but the first game was good.
    5- Monsterverse. There are 3 films in the series so far. The fourth one will be Godzilla vs. King Kong. These movies feature a lot of epic battles between giant monsters with a powerlevel similar to Perfect level Digimon.
    6- Yo-kai Watch. I got no relevant of knowledge of this one, but opon reading about it, it seems to be about collecting monsters and making them fight each other.
    7- Dragon Quest Monsters. You collect monsters and use them for battles. I tried the old games in the series and I really liked them.
    8- Summer Wars. This movie is very similar to the "Our War Game" Digimon movie. Besides being similar, it's also a fairly entertaining movie, IMO.
    9- Mega Man Battle Network. All people have a Navi, a "Digital partner" which they they use to fight and communicate in the digital world. Here, it's "man" instead of "mon". Fireman, Gutsman, Swordman, Elecman, Woodman, etc.
    10- Persona. I don't know a lot about this one, but people keep suggesting it and upon reading about it, I see that there are many types of demons which you can collect and use for battles. Some also compare it to Cyber Sleuth.
    11- Yu-Gi-Oh. You get to see a lot of weird battles between weird creatures and we have that thing going with all of the players having their own decks with their own monsters within it.
    12- Medabots. Everyone have their own robots and they use them to battle against each other and win parts to customise their robots. The anime is quite okay, as far as I remember. Worth checking out.
    13- Spectrobes. This is basically Disney's attempt at a Pokémon/Digimon franchise.
    14- Fossil Fighters. A Digimon/Pokémon variant in which you battle with dinosaurs.
    15- Tamagotchi. Digimon is based on this. You raise and evolve weird creatures. Similar gameplay to the V-Pets.

EDIT: Keep it coming, folks, this thread could end up being a huge benefit for Digimon fans who wants to try something different with familar aspects.
    Last edited by Jon Snow; 06-18-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Red shirt D O R U g o r a m o n's Avatar
    Isnt Yo-kai-Watch another one?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D O R U g o r a m o n View Post
    Isnt Yo-kai-Watch another one?
    That's true. I will add it to the list.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory are basically Persona Jr, heck you can probably throw in the entire Megami Tensai franchise which is Persona, SMT, Devil Survivor and a few others though it's mainly been Persona in their recent video game entries.

for single games, World of Final Fantasy is what happens if ou combine Pokemon and Digimon

ERROR::DaiTigris.Location could not be found.
    I definitely feel like Yu-Gi-Oh is a part of that crowd. It's got a very similar feel in terms of collect your favorite monsters and build deck around them to fight your way to victory. Even then there there are a few of the games in the franchise that aren't based on the popular card game. Capsule monsters is a tactical RPG based around the idea of monster chess. It has releases on Gameboy, play station, and play station 2. Then there's Dungeon Dice monsters which is a dice based tactile board game, it had a limited physical release and a Gameboy advanced game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiTigris View Post
    I definitely feel like Yu-Gi-Oh is a part of that crowd. It's got a very similar feel in terms of collect your favorite monsters and build deck around them to fight your way to victory. Even then there there are a few of the games in the franchise that aren't based on the popular card game. Capsule monsters is a tactical RPG based around the idea of monster chess. It has releases on Gameboy, play station, and play station 2. Then there's Dungeon Dice monsters which is a dice based tactile board game, it had a limited physical release and a Gameboy advanced game.
    How could I forget Yu-Gi-Oh? One of my favourite mangas as a child. I actually liked it much more in the beginning, when they focused on lots of different games instead of only the cards.

Spectrobes was Disney's attempt at a monster fighting game. It only had three games, two on the DS and one on the Wii, and it's not very well-known or fondly remembered by most people, but I love it almost as much as I love Digimon and Pokemon. Even though it obviously takes heavy inspiration from Pokemon, I feel like there's enough unique about it to set it apart from others in the genre, and definitely doesn't deserve to just be brushed aside as "yet another Pokemon copycat".

Then there's Disney's second attempt at a monster fighting game, kinda... Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance has the Dream Eaters that you can collect (via crafting rather than catching, breeding, or reviving from fossils) and raise to help you fight. It's not nearly as in-depth as most mon games, since it's kind of a side mechanic in a spinoff title originally made for the 3DS, but the Dream Eaters are very cute and fun to play and fight with, and it almost fills the Spectrobes-shaped hole in my heart.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    I would personally add Summer Wars, Legendz & Future Card Buddyfight to the list!

I come from the net
    Do Beyblade count? There are few Dinosaur raising tamer games. Dinosaur King anime and the other one is about getting the fossils and transform into the dino monsters in the game. Outside of Japan, we have Ark Survival.

And the strangest thing is, Sonic the Hedgehog have tiny function of raising Chaos in a certain game.

Zatch Bell? Demon children with unique power abilities.

I think Japan got ton of app games involved with raising monsters/cards/RPG genres also there were few mangas have similar traits but I forgot their titles mostly but it's pretty much chibi dragon partners in almost every manga... Yeah...

Insect raising tamer? Hmm I will do some research...

Red shirt D O R U g o r a m o n's Avatar
    I think SMT is the progenitor of pokemon and DIgimon and Co. Also, cyber sleuth came out before persona 5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast