With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Franchises like Digimon

Tamagotchi and all its clones because Digimon was a tamagotchi spinoff.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and Advanced had Chao Gardens. When 1 and 2 were on Dreamcast they even could be used with a LCD thing in the controller called the VMU which could be used like a Tamagotchi. It might be more Tamagotchi than monster though.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance had monster raising with the Dream Eaters who could fight with you.

Theres a mashin hero wataru monster collecting game too for the gameboy color.

I come from the net
    I remember that Kingdom Hearts game. It was fun. Shame it won't ever be used again but still. Real fun.

I'm a Maniac
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Onmyou Taisenki. Another Bandai property, it had an anime series during the dry period between Frontier and Savers. It features humans partnering up with Shikigami (the paper familiars featured in Japanese folklore, though here they're typically portrayed as anthropomorphic beast warriors), whom they're able to command using some kind of toy-like device. I don't know any of the details about the real-life toy, but in the anime, it seems very reminiscent of the Digivice. The main gimmick seems to be shifting the device in certain directions in order to mimic onmyodo practices of writing symbols in the air (so I guess the toy relies on motion control.... either that, or just more shaking stuff).

But if you're talking about any franchise that features monster-recruitment of any kind, then there's a lot. Hell, a ton of turn-based strategy RPGs feature monster-recruitment as a side mechanic (the monsters themselves tend to act like any of the human party members, nothing particularly special about the way you raise them). Several games by Nippon Ichi Software have this, as well as Arc The Lad II, maybe Ogre Battle (haven't played it yet), and even Final Fantasy Tactics. It's also worth noting that the Dragon Quest franchise had monster-recruitment years before the dedicated Dragon Quest Monster spin-off series, with the Super Famicom entry Dragon Quest V letting you befriend them (Dragon Quest VI had it as well, but it's far less central to the gameplay, and the DS remake pretty much axed it entirely, though it does feature Slimes you can now recruit in scripted scenarios). Something I honestly find amusing about Dragon Quest V (and VI) is that not EVERY monster in the game is available for recruitment. Only certain species of monsters are capable of joining your party at all, and you can only get up to 3 or 4 of one kind. What I find especially interesting is that each monster you recruit comes with a preset name (obviously possible because it doesn't have the vastly fluctuating variables that other monster-raisers have), which I feel makes the monsters feel a bit more characterized than the blank slate you're using in most games, but that's just me.

Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner is another one I figured I'd mention. A PSP game I got into a couple years ago, the capture mechanics are pretty similar to Pokemon's (though instead of capsules, you encase monsters inside of magical jewels, hence the name). Something I find interesting about this one is that it's pretty heavily story-driven and your human characters (of whom you form a party of three) play more of a gameplay role. Not quite to the extent that they can be active battlers like in Megami Tensei games, but the monsters' vitality is directly tied to whichever human character summons them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    4- Jade Cocoon. You catch different monsters, train them and use them to battle against other monsters. Didn't try the second game, but the first game was good.
    I really like Jade Cocoon 2. It has one of the more unique battle systems I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 06-21-2019 at 04:57 AM.

I come from the net
    Oh. That Onmyou thing. Once we thought it might be the new season. That didn't last long but it was fun to guess.

Legendz. It was made by Bandai and WiZ, and it is like Digimon's concept too. Same for Onmyou Taisenki which was already mentioned.

Cocotama: It and Digimon may not look that much alike, but they're both franchises that spun off of Tamagotchi so there.

Junior Commander
    Among those mentioned I agree that World of Final Fantasy has a lot of similarities as a game and as a concept Beyblade is also definitely comparable - not sure about any Beyblade games though. Kingdom Hearts Drip Drop Distance is another one I've seen mentioned that I agree with even though the monster catching is still prominent but kind of secondary.

Ni No Kuni was mentioned, and, yes, the first one in particular is based on the whole catching monsters and battling with them concept. It is also a brilliant game and is actually being remastered and released again this autumn if I'm not mistaken. It's called Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch and it has received tons of praise for its graphics, gameplay and music. It was a collaboration with famed animation film studio Studio Ghibli and composer Joe Hisaishi.

how could you forget Web Diver ? 😂 one of my favourite anime

also maybe Shaman King ( never finish this)

and Flame of Recca ( using madogu)

for Live Action :
    - some super Sentai series especially Kyoryuger. lol

or maybe Venom ( Marvel) count? 😂
    Atsumaru Kokoro wa Tatakau Tsuyosa ni Naru Yo!

also Mon Colle Knight

love the theme song btw
    Atsumaru Kokoro wa Tatakau Tsuyosa ni Naru Yo!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123