With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Franchises like Digimon

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by D O R U g o r a m o n View Post
    I think SMT is the progenitor of pokemon and DIgimon and Co. Also, cyber sleuth came out before persona 5.
    Cyber Sleuth was more Persona 4. Both Aiba and Yu play detective with their friends to stop criminals, whilst Hacker's Memory was more Persona 5. Shut in NEET girl (Erika and Futaba) with the main character being falsely accused of a crime (Keisuke/Ren), and due to this turn to a life of crime to solve their problems. both were kicked out of school due to this, though Ren did end up in a new school. both games even have a traitor character.

They're surface level I guess, but CS = P4 and HM = P5.

Dragon Quest Monsters.

Banned
    Curio: I added Dragon Quest Monsters to the list. I have some good memories with that one and yeah, it's certainly similar to Digimon in many ways.

I have seen Shin Megami Tensei mentioned a few times now and I think I should give it a try.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Curio: I added Dragon Quest Monsters to the list. I have some good memories with that one and yeah, it's certainly similar to Digimon in many ways.

I have seen Shin Megami Tensei mentioned a few times now and I think I should give it a try.
    SMT and Persona are different but similar franchises that use the same monsters and persona is the one similar to Digimon. That's the one you'd wanna try though SMT is monster collection as well it's less like Digimon than persona is. The overall franchise is known as megami tensai, SMT is just part of it (the Nintendo part whilst persona is the PS part). Loads of companies use the same monsters in different seires. Eg, idea factory. I just wanted to clarify since you put only SMT in the opening list which is only part of the series since if you were to get SMT over persona you wouldn't end up with the games stated to be the same as cyber slueth.
    Last edited by Muur; 06-15-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Ain't got no mojo...
    games that have a monster-raising and battle mechanic to them:

azure dreams - for playstation and gbc, you raise familiars to ascend a tower with wild monsters to battle in it. i had the gbc version, which was very mediocre and frustrating.

enchanted arms - for ps3/xbox360, you have a team of human protagonists, but theres also wild monsters you can recruit and train for your party. its a very traditional and average turn based rpg, but its pretty solid as such.

ni no kuni - also monsters you can add/switch out with your human party in combat, they even have evolutions.

monster racers - for nds, instead of battling with monsters you need to beat them in a 2d platformer style race. to catch wild ones you also need to race them, and theres breeding. theres some really creative monster designs, and the racing mechanic is something new. the game could have used a bit more polish to be actually good, but as is its pretty okay.

dino fossils were already mentioned, that would be fossil fighters and fossil fighters:champions for the nds.

legendz was also already mentioned, which was actually set up to tap into the pokemon/digimon popularity as a similar multi-platform franchise. it had an anime, a manga, a videogame, a tcg, and a battling v-pet lcd game which you had to buy accessories ("soul dollz") for that contain your monster (like yokai medallions or appmon chips). imo it couldve gone alot farther than it did if they had put minimal effort into it. starting with picking a different name for the whole thing...
    Last edited by ccrow; 06-15-2019 at 12:20 PM.

I come from the net
    Ah Fossil Fighters. And I didn't find insect raising tamers in 3DS how strange I was so sure I saw it along with Fossil Fighters at display last few years ago...

What about SCP? Although it's not monster raising but it's more of containing and researching/studying those unexplained ones beyond "Cryptids" levels and the fan authors gathering at huge collection of Horror fiction-made section website.

"How to train your dragon" I know it's dragon only but unlike Pokemon and Digimon, the dragon list is small but it might grow larger slowly.

And "Monster Hunter" counts? I know it's opposite way of raising to hunt them and wear the dead corpses as the favorite armors... But the monster list is pretty huge to hunt besides cute pets to raise.

Visit Chimera-gui's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow Hawk View Post
    And "Monster Hunter" counts? I know it's opposite way of raising to hunt them and wear the dead corpses as the favorite armors... But the monster list is pretty huge to hunt besides cute pets to raise.
    There is the spin-off Stories where you play as a Rider who befriends monsters who in turn act as mounts for the Rider. World also lets you catch endemic life to keep as pets in your room.
    I'll work to see that justice will be fully served, meow~!

I come from the net
    As Monster Hunter player, honestly I kinda view this Monster Hunter rider game is just for children while it's sorta "insult" to Monster Hunter series for riding instead of hunting. But whatever...

Oh yes. Kemono Friends. Mostly girls (only) are based on all real animals even Cryptid and mythical creatures included, taken their appearances to match those girls' appearances as cloth fashion and hairstyles to befriend and help while learning more about their animal habits. There is one interesting fact in Kemono friend, instead of Type or Classes, Species, etc whose often let you know what they are in Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, etc, the eyes of "Friends" imply: If extinct, then it's "Yandere-like" eyes or dead eyes, if it's mythical or cryptid, its glow in their eyes. Just one glance and you will instantly tell besides clothes in fashion and hairstyles.

Ain't got no mojo...
    Does Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers count? They have Marvel characters trapped in disks and the child protagonist summon them to battle villains.

I come from the net MasterOfTartarus's Avatar
    Add MasterOfTartarus on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by D O R U g o r a m o n View Post
    I think SMT is the progenitor of pokemon and DIgimon and Co.
    Dragon Quest is a year older, though i now very little about that franchise and it´s capture mechanics.
    but yeah (Shin) Megami Tensei surely inspired the other catch games, especially Pokemon and Digimon; storing your monsters on a computer and a compendium with info to each monster comes to mind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast