With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: Question about Digimon Lore, more specifically servers.

Ain't got no mojo... Unlimited_Data's Avatar

Question about Digimon Lore, more specifically servers.

Good morning, afternoon, or evening, this is my first ever post but I was interested to see if someone could answer something that always confused me. I remember that in Digimon there are places called servers, where each server has a different group of digimon acting like it's protectors for example like the Royal Knights or Olympus Twelve I believe. Can anyone explain to me how that overall works, and I apologize if my question is a bit off.

Also when I mean how does it work, I mean like how do these different servers in the digital world function. I have always been curious about certain aspects about the lore of the Digital World.

Follow TMS On Twitter Add TMS on Facebook
    I donít think itís ever been explained in any detail. It seems like each version of the Digital World is on its own server. The only time weíve seen servers used in a narrative context (at least that I can think of) is Digimon World 3, where each server is a version of the Digital World used in the MMO the game is centered around.

There is basically no clear canon info on this (just as there tends to be little clear information how most technical things really work in the lore). The concept has been brought up in earlier Digimon media such as Digimon World 3, Digimon World X as well as appmon but as the Servers seem to work differently each time they pop up it there's not really much point in generalizing stuff from this for the lore.

At least from the general descriptions of it, it's unlikely that the Lore Digital world subscribes to the ""Servers as connected Islands" concept that appmon introduced but rather as actual parallel instances with different host computers.
    Not that we know for certain how Host Computers exactly work in the context of Digimon either. Even if Yggdrasil has been around for a while there's barely a coherent picture of its workings to be gained. For example Cyber Sleuth claimed some sort of multiversal connection between different instances but if this true for the general profile lore or just for that game and if, in the case of it applying to the lore, the same would apply to the Homeros Host Computer is basically completely up in the air.
    Further we don't know if it is a fact that "each server is protected by a certain group of Digimon". That some Digimon are the strongest in each given server is more of an logically inevitable result rather than something natural. For all we know the Royal Knights and Olympos trwelve could be completely wiped out and the servers could keep existing without problems on a technical level.

Ain't got no mojo... Unlimited_Data's Avatar
    Ah I see, thank you very much. I was honestly confused about the concept servers, anyway thank you for answering my question. I wonder if they will ever explore the concept even more.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I donít think itís ever been explained in any detail. It seems like each version of the Digital World is on its own server. The only time weíve seen servers used in a narrative context (at least that I can think of) is Digimon World 3, where each server is a version of the Digital World used in the MMO the game is centered around.
    The DS games summon characters from other servers to fight you those being data squad and next characters.