With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Survive Interview/Behind the Scenes Video with Producers, Character Designs

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Digital Monsters not being... Digital. Like, my favorite Digimon stories are the ones that are about technology and its relationship with humanity in an increasingly digitized world, so taking away what in my opinion is one of the most unique and interesting aspects of the franchise just feels like a waste to me. There are plenty of stories out there already about "magical" or "mysterious" creatures befriending humans, but not nearly as many about sentient beings born from the collective human consciousness that is The Internet doing the same, and I feel like the approach they're taking with Survive is one of the least interesting ones they could've taken it.

That all being said I'm still extremely excited for this game because I just love tactical RPGs, and it's the first Digimon game since like... 2010 that didn't have completely embarrassing designs for the female human characters.

Maybe if they're really supposed to be tsukumogami then they'd still he Digital it's just their spirits inhabited data instead of an object.

Maybe someone who knows more about Japanese folklore can understand what they were going for in adventure. But from what I get from this video in Survive it's more like Digimon are a manifestation of the same phenomenon that other people throughout time experience, and it's really just the concept of little animal creatures and their relation to people.

And even in Tamers, the most grounded origin story of Digimon being AI had supernatural questions behind it right? I remember something about them questioning if the Dreaper was just a program that evolved or something else entirely. It slept in a whole other world not created by humans and you can see where that world was on Konakas site, it was under the spot where Culumon was kept. I'm guessing that world was at least lovecraftian or alien considering Konaka's interests.

And tsukumogami weirdly sounds like the origin of Tamers digimon despite it being more scifi stuff about how AI became real. But the way kids loved Digimon so much that they realized and became real with magic wish granting feels supernatural too.

I can't wait to see what they do with it in survive. If you don't like it we'll be going back to the regular stuff when story returns anyways. As long as it's interesting, mysterious and well done I'm fine with whatever they do.

I just realized this would be a perfect game to add the Witchelny Digimon. Theres tons of yokai and mythology and religious related Digimon too.

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    Habu is certainly a gift for us the Digimon fandom. Even if you may enjoy his take on the franchise or not, ehat os undeniable is that he's really commited to his work and tries so hard to understand and convey what is Digimon about and put it on common with the expectations of the fans...he's really sincere and professional, this was a truly amazing video even if there's not a lot new stuff revealed apart from we previously knew. It was very nostalgic seeing Lost Evolution & Super Xros Wars being acknowledged because this are ones of the most obscure Digimon games among the Western fandom so far. Also kinda interesting the "yokai" Digimon concept from Kakudou, it fits very well with how the life cycle of a Digimon works, implying that its data is somehow immortal. Did we have this same approach before in Digimon aside from Adventure 02?

I cannot wait to play Digimon Survive and the new Story game in development!

The interview was about what I was expecting but with a few parts that just seemed a bit off.
    The overall message about the game didn't appear to be one of confidence for one. Somehow the game was painted at once as the next great innovative step for Digimon while at the same time they were precautionarily(!) defending the game's mechanics that they themselves seem to admit are not really innovative themselves. And I'm not sure if that just means that the marketing department just didn't put enough effort into representing the game or if I should be actually concerned about the gameplay. I feel if they had some actual serious depth to the gameplay they would have spent more time perhaps discussing different strategic approaches you could take, or how Digimons' abilities are translated into the system or something else besides just introducing some very basic ideas like "Digimon will be evolving depending on story choices (which we already knew)" and "defeating enemies will refill your energy (which is not exactly groundbreaking or exciting)" while spending the rest of the presentation basically going "but it's like old classic games". Not much of a guarantee of assurance since there are plenty of bad old classic games. I hope that they are just saving the good bits for later, and overall I'm still kinda excited for what teh game could bring to the table.
    Anyway, it's fun to squint your way through glaring pandering and general marketing euphemisms and try to figure out what's actually going on in the background.

I am not much of a fan of the "spirit" stance on Digimon they talked about.
    On one hand it's hilarious how someone playing himself up as having a good understanding of Digimon casually presents a view that's literally missing the point of Digimon as it is defined in the name of the franchise itself but its only funny as long as it doesn't become the default.
    From my perspective as a Science Fiction fan, the entire point of Digimon being "actually just spirits" roughly translates to "We just don't feel like researching anything computer or programming related to create a world that actually feels like it's meaningfully exploring concepts in current technology, so we just say 'lol MAGIC' (and in essence throw away most of what makes the concept of Digimon stand out from a million other monster based franchises), can do whatever we want without anyone being able to complain."
    ... From a certain point of view I can see how such an approach might benefit a more mystery than technology driven narrative that Survive seems to be aiming to create but that doesn't really make it any less alienating. I guess it could be an interesting concept to explore as a contrast to the usual lore... As long as they keep it the hell away from any other story in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock View Post
    And even in Tamers, the most grounded origin story of Digimon being AI had supernatural questions behind it right? I remember something about them questioning if the Dreaper was just a program that evolved or something else entirely. It slept in a whole other world not created by humans and you can see where that world was on Konakas site, it was under the spot where Culumon was kept. I'm guessing that world was at least lovecraftian or alien considering Konaka's interests.
    Tamers was pretty clear about the being literally AI without much supernatural help, supernatural in the sense of "magic" outside of the inherent weird laws of other dimensions, and they didn't bring up anything like that other than the D-reaper's otherworldly influences which were the source of its lovecraftian strangeness that separated it from the Digimon which evolved without such influence. It makes no sense to connect the deeper dimensions to which the D-reaper descended to the origin of Digimon since the first Digimon spread out from the higher layers of the human network and only gradually expanded their world until the Holy Beasts settled in the lowest layers. Even if at that point you could argue that some sort of contamination was possible you have to remember that according to the official timeline this arrangement didn't take form until over 8 years after the first real were already created.

Which also means that if the Adventure monsters might be partly spirits (why did 02 have to be so full of annoying concepts again?) and Tamers Digimon are not, we have, in various adventure/tamers crossovers, a very interesting case of two completely different kinds of beings ending up in the same forms and somehow being compatible.

Junior Commander
    The digimon world being inherently supernatural (who would argue it's not?) makes the association with any kind of supernatural/occult presence/phenomenon plausible. It may as well be that the digimon world always had its digital aspects (data packets, digivolution, code, programming - read: dna, transformation, runes, rituals) simply stripped off the directly technological references, aspects and forms that could have started appearing only after human technology...got there. Otherwise, as I think we all agree, the concept of there already being something in the place of the digimon world before it turned into what it is now is nothing new either, and simply a different approach to the same vague idea. Hell, they could even make the case that forms from the digital world inspired human inventions and technological progress if they wanted to go there.

I don't think this strips the digimon mythos of any of its key characteristics or tone; if anything it enriches it, adding a more eldritch/mystical/magical dimension to things as far as both the digital and the human world are concerned. Makes a potential exploration of Hikari's powers and the Dark Ocean even more exciting. And it makes the possibility of actual magic (ie spellcasters, magic schools, digimon familiars, summoners, cults, etc) coming up in future series more likely. What a fascinating notion!

All in all, I love pretty much everything they shared with us in the video. Survive looks adorable, and maybe even emotional.

edit: As far as Digimon Tamers goes, I always thought its mythology was really poorly handled, the science behind it even more so. It is my favorite season by far, but the theories behind it and the way they are showcased are trash. In any case, regarding any digimon story/universe/season what we have learned from characters may be proven wrong/inaccurate and be retconned entirely if the creators decide to do so.
    Last edited by Grimmon; 06-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmon View Post
    The digimon world being inherently supernatural (who would argue it's not?) makes the association with any kind of supernatural/occult presence/phenomenon plausible. It may as well be that the digimon world always had its digital aspects (data packets, digivolution, code, programming - read: dna, transformation, runes, rituals) simply stripped off the directly technological references, aspects and forms that could have started appearing only after human technology...got there. Otherwise, as I think we all agree, the concept of there already being something in the place of the digimon world before it turned into what it is now is nothing new either, and simply a different approach to the same vague idea. Hell, they could even make the case that forms from the digital world inspired human inventions and technological progress if they wanted to go there.

I don't think this strips the digimon mythos of any of its key characteristics or tone; if anything it enriches it, adding a more eldritch/mystical/magical dimension to things as far as both the digital and the human world are concerned. Makes a potential exploration of Hikari's powers and the Dark Ocean even more exciting. And it makes the possibility of actual magic (ie spellcasters, magic schools, digimon familiars, summoners, cults, etc) coming up in future series more likely. What a fascinating notion!

All in all, I love pretty much everything they shared with us in the video. Survive looks adorable, and maybe even emotional.

edit: As far as Digimon Tamers goes, I always thought its mythology was really poorly handled, the science behind it even more so. It is my favorite season by far, but the theories behind it and the way they are showcased are trash. In any case, regarding any digimon story/universe/season what we have learned from characters may be proven wrong/inaccurate and be retconned entirely if the creators decide to do so.
    I can see this being interesting *if* they take it seriously. After all, you don't actually *need* electronics to deal with computer theory or information theory. You could make some pretty good worldbuilding of a program/digital-based world that never actually touches electronics, or at least doesn't rely on it -- look at Charles Stross's Laundry Files, they do an incredibly good job of having a *very* detailed, mathematically-based, recognizably computer-based setting where magic *can* be invoked by computational mathematics either digitally or through mental/ritual mathematics. And a lot of the oldest real-world magic *did* have a basis in "sacred numerology".

But that requires some very serious interest in mathematics and computer science to make it feel good. You'd expect to hear stuff about Turing machines, P=NP (Penpmon can break through any firewall with no resistance!), Godel's Incompleteness (just being around it breaks down the laws of physics!), and blockchains, not waving it off as simply "they come to life like yokai".

This idea *can* be done well and still be recognizably Digimon, but it's also way easier to just dumb this down and make it just another monster rancher/pokemon/SMT knockoff.

Junior Commander
    Quote Originally Posted by Inpu View Post
    I can see this being interesting *if* they take it seriously. After all, you don't actually *need* electronics to deal with computer theory or information theory. You could make some pretty good worldbuilding of a program/digital-based world that never actually touches electronics, or at least doesn't rely on it -- look at Charles Stross's Laundry Files, they do an incredibly good job of having a *very* detailed, mathematically-based, recognizably computer-based setting where magic *can* be invoked by computational mathematics either digitally or through mental/ritual mathematics. And a lot of the oldest real-world magic *did* have a basis in "sacred numerology".

But that requires some very serious interest in mathematics and computer science to make it feel good. You'd expect to hear stuff about Turing machines, P=NP (Penpmon can break through any firewall with no resistance!), Godel's Incompleteness (just being around it breaks down the laws of physics!), and blockchains, not waving it off as simply "they come to life like yokai".

This idea *can* be done well and still be recognizably Digimon, but it's also way easier to just dumb this down and make it just another monster rancher/pokemon/SMT knockoff.
    Thanks for mentioning Charles Stross's Laundry Files, always great to discover something new!
    As for the detail they should go in, have they ever gone in as much detail to describe how their current theories work? Do they ever bring up so many references?
    On the other hand, if they did go in great detail it would be a very interesting way to define the actual limits of magic, and by extension the limits of digimon potency.
    So God-like entities such as Apocarymon, Ordinemon, MaloMyotismon would have some base characteristics that they should adhere to and any plots and tropes would feel more grounded and less Deus ex Machina. Hopefully!

Honestly, it skews to much to not having much of an idea of 'what' to do for the actual ideas behind the franchise and trying to generalize it to such a degree that it becomes anything else.

The overall concept has been gone over in Digimon before, but generally more as musings, with whiffs that something 'may' be going on with it.

It may work interestingly as a concept to look over once in awhile, but it does tend to be counter to the overall point.

More concerning is what theigno already pointed out, the general idea that they seem to be aiming very low for the game, are aware of it, and don't even seem that dedicated to even try and make their argument on why it's a good idea.

This generally does seem to be close to the history of most recent Digimon games.

If the gameplay is polished enough in both styles, it might have a decent chance to pull it off, but they aren't doing a great job of selling the game on the merits of gameplay. Early interview content seemed to be more inclined to try and sell it on story/character, which felt like it was working a bit better.

The art has a slightly more 'down to earth' feeling in it's designs compared to recent games, while still having great energy, which works well. I'd also like to hear more of the music, as what little we've heard, mostly (what appears to be) the main theme, just sounds really good.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Hanbei On Twitter
    The Digimon as spirits concept, to me, is really appealing. Reminds me of the original concept for SMT, where the internet was a great source of power for demons because of how it concentrates human feelings, which is where they come from. To me this even explains things like Tamers, as it was Takato's feelings that gave Guilmon life, in a sense. I can see how some people wouldn't like it, but it's always been a little headcanon of mine (though if this thread is anything to go by, it's been alluded to in passing before and flew over my head, whoops)
    Originally i'd make a joke about how this game's concept reminds me of Devil Survivor a little bit and call it "Digimon Survivor", but then my last remaining brain cell finally realized that the joke is moot, as the game is already basically called that lmao

A lot of issues with the interview have already been pointed out so I won't go into detail with those, such as the 'yokai' concept.

The juxtaposing statements about the validity of its gameplay style do kind of rustle my jimmies, though, particularly in regard to how far they are willing to take this concept. When Katsuaki states the way the player connects to their Digimon influences how the Digimon grows and how Digimon evolve and become stronger based on defeating enemies, he seems fairly floppy on how far this is taken into consideration. He begins it by stating it's what he wanted for the original concept, then goes into an entire speech about gameplay elements. I was pretty unclear on where the line was in the interview between what his original vision was vs. what was actually implemented, so that was fairly concerning. It's also possible that it was just the translation wording though.

Anyways, my question for them stating there's an open element to the gameplay is how open they've made it. Is it only viable to 'complete' the game by playing as a class RPG hero, or can you do it by being 'bad' to your Digimon, if you play a villain character?Is it even possible to do so, and how far do they take the concept of influencing your Digimon: is it through dialog options or are there nonlinear plotlines you can choose to follow instead? Is it viable to play as a completely passive character with a baby Digimon you won't let fight? I get that it's about the concept of surviving that world but is it a truly open experience or do they still box you into the class hero role despite saying it's open?

The fact that Habu kept repeating it was getting bashed already and that they didn't do a whole lot to innovate the gameplay and focused on making it 'classic', combined with the insistence that it's an open game and how you play influences your Digimon's growth was both amusing and concerning--they're two fairly different concept and neither one was able to really pick one side about the gameplay.

Either way I still really look forward to it and want to experience the game, one way or the other. I agree that the music was fantastic and the background imagery looks great. I love that one of the characters design reminds me of Hige from Wolf's Rain lol.

tl;dr - interview was a cluster and kind of a barrel of monkeys with their crazy statements, but i am still much excite.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast