With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: How to watch Digimon Adventure Subbed?

How to watch Digimon Adventure Subbed?

Hey, I apologize if someone has asked this before, but after some searching I didn't find a topic like this on With The Will (or any other site, for that matter).

I'm actually a new fan of the franchise, so besides catching an occasional episode on 4kids years ago, I never watched Adventure. I initially got into Digimon recently because of the v-pets, but I'm now interested in watching the anime. The problem is I've only been able to find the dubbed version, both on Amazon and streaming services. If I have to watch it this way I'll manage, but I'm not a huge fan of the voice acting, and I'd like to hear the original Japanese soundtrack, so I'd prefer subbed.

If anyone knows of a good place to find the sub (legally), I'd really appreciate it!

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    There are no places legally to watch it subbed. Any illegal links are not allowed.

I assume you mean no place online? I'm open to ordering a dvd, if an official subbed version even exists.

Follow Vande On Twitter Add Vande on Facebook Add Vande on Discord Add Vande on Steam Add Vande on DeviantArt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomolo View Post
    I assume you mean no place online? I'm open to ordering a dvd, if an official subbed version even exists.
    There is no official subbed version.

Oh, wow, that's pretty surprising to me. I guess that explains the lack of information on a sub though - can't be much info if it doesn't exist. Oh well, thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Ain't got no mojo...
    There was an official sub version that was on Netflix for seasons 1-3, but it was taken down. So they did made subs, t just that now it's not around.

The only things officially subbed and available at the moment are...

Digimon Adventure tri.- Available on various streaming services, DVD, and Blu-ray.
    All of Digimon Xros Wars- Available on Crunchyroll

A number of streaming services offer tri. subbed 'or' dubbed, so especially if you are buying it instead of just checking a stream, check what is being offered first (I'm 99% sure any purchasable digital tri. is dubbed, but it's always possible I've missed one somewhere.)

I believe the 'old old' super bad subs of 02 and Tamers are still on the Playstation Store, but Sony has removed access from most methods to check the store (web browser, etc.) so you'd have to check on a Playstation itself (I think the Android app still works properly also?), but I don't recommend them as the quality is pretty bad.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I'm a Maniac
    Follow Yamato-san On Twitter
    Kinda curious as to why they released dub-only DVD sets of the Digimon series not too long ago. I guess the dub itself has too many edits that having dual audio wouldn't be worth it (although, I think some shows, like Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers, featured two-sided DVDs with the dub version on one side and the sub version on the other side, but most other heavily-edited shows, like Samurai Pizza Cats/Cat Ninden Teyandee! and Monster Rancher/Monster Farm, have separate dub and sub releases entirely), but what I find strange is that these releases were AFTER subs started to be legally available through various streaming services. Like, Toei, Bamco, Saban, or whoever's in charge clearly didn't see the Japanese version of the anime as something worth hiding (at least not before the streams were taken down), so why couldn't they have gotten a home release?

Also, the English localizations of recent video games and the not-so-child-friendly dub of tri. show that the English version of Digimon, much like its Japanese counterpart, is nowadays being marketed towards grown-up nostalgics rather than the original target audience of children, so that seems like even less of a reason to only allow English-speaking territories access to the watered-down dub. But who knows? With the more recent DVD releases of tri., here's hoping a sub release of the numerous anime series won't be too far off.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 05-05-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Kinda curious as to why they released dub-only DVD sets of the Digimon series not too long ago. I guess the dub itself has too many edits that having dual audio wouldn't be worth it (although, I think some shows, like Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers, featured two-sided DVDs with the dub version on one side and the sub version on the other side, but most other heavily-edited shows, like Samurai Pizza Cats/Cat Ninden Teyandee! and Monster Rancher/Monster Farm, have separate dub and sub releases entirely), but what I find strange is that these releases were AFTER subs started to be legally available through various streaming services. Like, Toei, Bamco, Saban, or whoever's in charge clearly didn't see the Japanese version of the anime as something worth hiding (at least not before the streams were taken down), so why couldn't they have gotten a home release?

Also, the English localizations of recent video games and the not-so-child-friendly dub of tri. show that the English version of Digimon, much like its Japanese counterpart, is nowadays being marketed towards grown-up nostalgics rather than the original target audience of children, so that seems like even less of a reason to only allow English-speaking territories access to the watered-down dub. But who knows? With the more recent DVD releases of tri., here's hoping a sub release of the numerous anime series won't be too far off.
    Not gonna say its for everyone, but when that UK company did a release of seasons 1-4 in the UK last year, they were asked on Twitter if it comes with the Japanese and they said only the dub because they don't have rights to the Japanese version, so it might just be a licence issue