With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Frontier Artwork for Arbormon, Mercuremon, Ranamon, Fairymon, & More!

Early Frontier Artwork for Arbormon, Mercuremon, Ranamon, Fairymon, & More!

Frontier art time!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This time we get art for a number of Frontier characters, plus a few oddities...

Let's start with Arbormon.

The artwork for Arbormon has nothing 'super' interesting as it's his final design, but seeing it a bit rougher than the finalized artwork we are used to is nice.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Then we get to see Arbormon's beast spirit form, Petaldramon. The artwork itself is rough linework for Petaldramon's profile artwork.

Movie on to another of the Frontier baddies...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Mercuremon! Again, nearly finished art. This sketch appears to have been used to make 2 Mercuremon cards later- as a CGI render with ST-704 and as finished art with BO-108t.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Then we get his beast spirit, Sephirothmon. This is mostly finished linework, although the actual pose doesn't seem to have been used anywhere (although it's very similiar to a number of images of him.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This rough drawing of Ranamon appeared to have been the inspiration for the CGI render used on card ST-706.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This rough linework of her beast spirit, Calamaramon, was eventually finished and used on her first card, BO-735.

Break for a hero!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

This rough artwork of Fairymon appears to have not been used, but based on the general appearance, likely was a rough, or an inspiration, for the artwork that ended up being her profile art.

It also mentions that early potential names for Fairymon were Elfmon and Sylphmon.

A bit more of a break with a bit of an oddity...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Marsmon! Who isn't in Frontier itself... but was part of that generation of Digimon and he was in the D-Scanner, so I guess they are including him with an asterisk. This image is a rough of what later became his profile artwork.

Plus we get to find out an early potential name they had for him was Berserkmon.

One more villain today, who they include a few extra images of...

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

It's Grottemon and his beast spirit form, Gigasmon! He possesses power over Earth from one of the legendary Ten Warriors.

Both roughly have the same design in their drafts as their final design. The primary change they note was that they changed the design of the mark on Grottemon's arm.

We end with a bit of oddity...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

It's a rough design they pulled up of a 'dead' (unused) character. They think this rough looks cool, and they comment that they think it's a waste that this wasn't used.

The character is visually a type of centaur with a horse (unicorn) head. On top of that he various pieces of armor, wings, a lance that appears to be a cannon or laser (and looks like it may be part of his arm rather than him holding it?), along with a revolver that ends with a sword or spear on it (or perhaps another lance.)

They comment that they look forward to digging up more illustrations 'next time' (whether we are supposed to take this as a hint of something, or it's given as a pleasantry we'll have to guess.)

Just a week until the Frontier Blu-ray box is out!

Pre-orders are available for the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box. It will be available April 2nd, 2019 for 53,800 yen. Early versions of the box will include the new Frontier audio drama: (Affiliate link)
    Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box

We hope to do a breakdown of this release like we do for many media releases, including last year's Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box. If you are able to, donating or joining our Patreon can be a big help.

Previous news for the Frontier Blu-ray box:
    Title and Staff for Frontier Audio Drama
    Frontier Audio Drama Cast
    Preview of Cover Art and Store Exclusives
    Cover Art, plus Fan Vote
    Internal Art 1
    Internal Art 2 plus Store Exclusive info
    Preview of Amazon Japan Exclusive Keychains
    Result of Frontier Favorite Episode Fan Vote!
    Packaging Preview, Plus New Details
    Early Agnimon Designs
    Early Wolfmon Art
    Duskmon Images
    Chakmon Art, Including Early unnamed designs
    Neemon Art, Including Facial expressions
    Blu-ray Box and Booklet Preview Images, Plus New Interviews Teased
    Preview of Frontier Blu-ray Box Store Exclusives
    Early Blitzmon and Bolgmon Frontier Artwork and Designs
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    Cool to see so much at once, and I'm sure they could just reuse that design at any point now that it's in the open lol, just give it a name and then tell the game staff, or anime staff, to use it since it's (probably) a complete design. Also slightly funny is that the Twitter translate on the horse photo says "it's a good time to be killed".

I come from the net
    Pretty much disappointing. Hoping to see Fairymon and other "Evil" Warriors revealing up their prototype designs... :/

But interesting info. Berserkmon aka Marsmon and the unused Horse centaur Digimon. I wonder what were their purpose during this Frontier's behind scenes...

Now Loweemon will be revealed soon for sure.

You know, Bersekmon wouldn't have been in the Olympos so I guess he's lucky they changed it.

Many of the early warrior designs were probably still influenced by the that futuristic sentai tournament concept that Frontier was imagined as in the very beginning but when they honed in on the plot and aesthetic that they ended up using it makes sense that later designs had less of an extreme experimentation phase. So most of them have just very minimal tweaks.
    (I guess maybe that's just the angle of the artwork but Ranamon looks quite a bit more amphibian here... I think they could have kept that.)

Glad they didn't use the weird centaur design. It would somewhat work as some strange Maildramon evolution but in general it kind of lacks cohesiveness. By now we got a much better semi-winged centaur-ish design with Sleipmon and his right lance design has been reused for Examon.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    You know, Bersekmon wouldn't have been in the Olympos so I guess he's lucky they changed it.
    It was probably the other way around, with of the Olympos Twelve not really existing when he was first designed.
    The design itself is after all not exactly very indicative of mythology (Mars was afaik never overtly associated with panthers and the general gist of his profile "oh well, he's good at fighting" could be applied to any Ultimate Digimon anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Theigno View Post
    Many of the early warrior designs were probably still influenced by the that futuristic sentai tournament concept that Frontier was imagined as in the very beginning but when they honed in on the plot and aesthetic that they ended up using it makes sense that later designs had less of an extreme experimentation phase. So most of them have just very minimal tweaks.
    (I guess maybe that's just the angle of the artwork but Ranamon looks quite a bit more amphibian here... I think they could have kept that.)

Glad they didn't use the weird centaur design. It would somewhat work as some strange Maildramon evolution but in general it kind of lacks cohesiveness. By now we got a much better semi-winged centaur-ish design with Sleipmon and his right lance design has been reused for Examon.

Quote Originally Posted by Muur View Post
    It was probably the other way around, with of the Olympos Twelve not really existing when he was first designed.
    The design itself is after all not exactly very indicative of mythology (Mars was afaik never overtly associated with panthers and the general gist of his profile "oh well, he's good at fighting" could be applied to any Ultimate Digimon anyway).
    yesh I figured that but when it came to time make it, they wouldn't have this guy to use for Mars. Is what I meant

the part about frontiers original plot is a good point though. As is the maildramon connection. You can see it in its feet.

Junior Commander
    Oh, wow, that horse is amazing! Fits well in my Patamon - Centalmon - Pegasmon line as the final stage.

Keep thinking that Horsemon is Lobomon's Beast Spirit for some reason xD
    I hope we get to see more of these!

This yeatr has been so good for concept art. I love seeing this stuff in videogames and movies but I never thought we'd see so much for Digimon. I've even seen some fanart of proto Chackmon on Twitter! I hope this centaur gets fanart . He looks like he'd be perfect for Patamon, who evolved to Unimon, Centaurmon, and Angemon in various stuff and he looks like all 3 pwith Seraphimon colours. I love that style of gun because of Captain Harlock too, and it looks like Captain Hookmon's.

I love that horse Digimon so much. I donít suppose I could convince them to reintroduce it could I?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast