With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia

Thread: It's the 20th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure!

It's the 20th Anniversary of Digimon Adventure!

This is it!

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Based on where you are in the world, there is a decent chance it's still the 6th, but it's the 7th in Japan and a number of other places, so decided to put this up a few hours early.

March 7th is when Digimon Adventure began, and it's been 20 years!

Digimon didn't begin with Adventure, but it is what has more than anything else popularized and defined the franchise, with everything since chasing after it in what seems to be a never ending game of finding what made it work and become so well loved.

The show began at 9am on Fuji Television and was directed by Hiroyuki Kakudou, who made a number of decisions that weren't in line with what the franchise was to that point (to the degree that staff like Kenji Watanabe and Volcano Ota would seemingly disagree with suggested changes.) The series composer who was in charge of the overall story was Satoru Nishizono, who noted in interviews since that part of taking the job was he looked forward to working on a year long original story, and brought numerous core elements to the series himself, including bringing in Hikari from the first movie and making something that felt charming and that could be taken both serious and lightly and even parodied (apparently inspired by words he had read from Yoshiyuki Tomino.)

Adventure was the beginning of the anime, which continued on for a few years (before it's first break) with 02, Tamers, and Frontier, which all sit alongside it in most fans memories to differing degrees. Series producer Seki Hiromi referred to these just the other day as the 'four brothers' of the franchise. The 4 of them all had remarkably little turnover between staff, having the first 4 anime series based on the franchise be various interpretations with just small tweaks in staff and intent leading to an overall feeling of familiarity between them, while she notes that over the years more and more staff have joined the franchise, introducing new 'cousins and relatives' into the family of the franchise.

Notably, even from the early group of staff, when they've moved on to other work, they very often seem to swing back to Digimon every once in awhile.

Adventure continued with not only 02 right after it aired, but with tri. being announced as part of the 15th anniversary, and now we have a new Digimon Adventure film coming early next year around the end of the 20th anniversary.

So like I said above, Digimon didn't begin with Adventure, but what it became and has tried to do since was always defined by what Adventure started.

While there was a news index earlier yesterday for all the 20th Anniversary and recent news, it's been blown off the front page already. A new one will done later this week once it appears news has slowed down.

We'll update with any message of note that might show up and we are able to translate.

First up, AiM! AiM was Mimi in Adventure and 02, and has sung plenty for Digimon continuing to this day, and she posted a message and images on Twitter!

Image Thumbnail (custom) Image Thumbnail (custom)

March 7th, 1999. 20 years ago at 9am. With the sound of a time signal, "Digimon Adventure" began. My 1st anime role as a regular. I was happy & on the other hand there was nervousness and trembling while I watched... It wasn't just an irreplaceable encounter of important/precious people, it was a chance encounter with people the world over who love this work for which I feel both thankful & happy for. Everyone has my deepest thanks.

Adventure Director Kakudou tweeted a short but simple message...

There is no particularly special thing I can say about the anniversary of the beginning of the broadcast, but thank you everyone.

From the Digimon Music Producer, along with a photo... (this was actually posted on the 6th, but fits either way.)

Image Thumbnail (custom)

We received the certificate for the Heisei Anisong Grand Prix's “1989-1999” Special Award. Also today, March 6th, [was] the day the first movie premiered. A lot of information was released and I feel happy we were able to do a good report before the anniversary of Wada’s death. There’s a lot of people to thank for that. Thank you very much.
    As mentioned, the certificate was for the award Butter-Fly won at the recent Heisei AniSong Grand Prix.

And then there is a message (multiple tweets actually) from writer Hiro Masaki, who was one of the writers for all 4 years of the original run the anime had on TV, on top of being the writer who wrote the most Adventure episodes...

It’s been 20 years since the premiere broadcast of Digimon Adventure hasn’t it?
    Fans, happy 20th anniversary!
    In celebration of this, allow me to write a few things...

As I was in charge of the screenplay for the final episode, there was one thing I set on doing-- flashback scenes that [in the end] were not included.

Viewers had been a part of the Chosen Children’s adventure for the past year.

Through each conversion [between the Chosen and their Digimon], they would have remembered this scene or that one scene in their own way. Why, with their rich imaginations, it would allow it to grow more and more.
    ---those flashback scenes i thought of were not included in the end.

Digimon, for me, was the first anime I worked on, but I feel it was the dream series I got to make together with staff, the cast, as well as all the fans.

Thank you so much.
    Masaki is also returning as the writer of the upcoming audio drama being included in the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box.

Update- Added a few more message translations thanks to shin.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Definitely the show that defined Saturday Morning Cartoons for me. Nothing like waking up to a new episode of adventure (upper and lowercase A). Every time I do a rewatch, I'm still amazed at how well it holds up.

Actually, probably about time for another...

I come from the net Paruseruru mafubu's Avatar
    Amazing it's been two decades. The very first anime I ever really watched and its still
    an important aspect of my life and will certainly continue to be for many years to come.

Add Mugenlazlo on DeviantArt
    Me used to watch this on Fox Kids back in the day.

Add frankiemon827 on Facebook
    I still can't forget the crush I had on Mimi back on those days XD XD

I come from the net
    Damn. Guess now’s the perfect time for a rewatch?

I'm a Maniac
    Happy 20 years! Sorry for the delay.

I come from the net
    Really glad that it happened. Sure was fun to watch on TV all the time. Then the internet sites. ...That's a long story.

I'm a Maniac
    20 years.... Halcyon days. Feels like it was almost a different planet back then. I love Digimon and much of that love comes from just how much of my youth is tied to it. Those days are gone for good but Digimon stays as an anchor for those memories.

Added a few more message translations.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.