With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandai Digs Up Early Agnimon Designs with a month to go until Frontier Blu-ray Box

Bandai Digs Up Early Agnimon Designs with a month to go until Frontier Blu-ray Box

Something fun...

Image Thumbnail (custom)

With just under a month to go until the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box is out, Bandai pulled out something from their archives to share with everyone!

Early designs for Agnimon! The one above is an early rough draft, and at this point the character wasn't even called Agnimon yet. The early name they had attached to the character was Ifrimon (イフリーモン), no doubt named after Ifrit, who shows up in various forms in a number of Japanese franchises (most popularly Final Fantasy, and recently That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.)

The design here feels a bit more solidly like something you might get from an armor transformation from something like Ronin Warriors.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

After that we get a refined design that fits somewhere inbetween the original rough and the final design. At this point the more armor-like design is still around, but it's much easier to see how this became the Agnimon we know.

Image Thumbnail (custom)

Last up is the Agnimon we know, with flat coloring.

A nice little preview before the Blu-ray box comes out. Hopefully we will get more.

Pre-orders are available for the Digimon Frontier Blu-ray box. It will be available April 2nd, 2019 for 53,800 yen. Early versions of the box will include the new Frontier audio drama: (Affiliate link)
    Digimon Frontier Blu-ray Box

We hope to do a breakdown of this release like we do for many media releases, including last year's Digimon Tamers Blu-ray Box. If you are able to, donating or joining our Patreon can be a big help.

Previous news for the Frontier Blu-ray box:
    Title and Staff for Frontier Audio Drama
    Frontier Audio Drama Cast
    Preview of Cover Art and Store Exclusives
    Cover Art, plus Fan Vote
    Internal Art 1
    Internal Art 2 plus Store Exclusive info
    Preview of Amazon Japan Exclusive Keychains
    Result of Frontier Favorite Episode Fan Vote!
    Packaging Preview, Plus New Details
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Follow Muur On Twitter Visit Muur on XBox Live
    I much prefer the design we got, though I must say - I do like the name Ifrimon.
    Last edited by Muur; 03-03-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Ain't got no mojo... ArsDaemonum's Avatar
    Follow ArsDaemonum On Twitter Add ArsDaemonum on DeviantArt
    These sorts of posts are so cool, I love when Bandai releases information like this!! Seeing draft designs like this really inspires me, I really hope we get to see more before the Blu-ray box drops.

The second design already looks pretty nice. Although with the more pronounced black area around the eyes, the "angrier" expression of the mask through the angle of the brow and that monster forehead it looks not nearly as heroic as the final design. So I see why they adjusted the features to be more neutral.

I do somewhat prefer the rounded style of the armor though...

It’s really neat to see those early designs. I’m glad they changed them though, Agnimon is much cooler looking in the final design.

I want more info on the other fusion evo xD
    Pre Agnimon looks amazing too ^^

I hope we can see more beta designs.
    Pokémon fan at heart, but growing to like Digimon.

I'm a Maniac
    Oh, wow, the second one is magnificent! And it kind of looks like the lost link/evolution between Agnimon and KaizerGreymon.
    I wish they'd show us more like these. The creature designs (with the exception of the terrible petaldramon, neemon and bokomon) were the highlight of the 4th season for me (and the only good thing about it, actually).

I come from the net Shadow Shinji's Avatar
    Follow Shadow Shinji On Twitter
    I kinda like the look of Ifrimon, although I personally prefer Agnimon's final design by much. Agnimon has in my opinion, one of the designs with most personality from the entire franchise. In fact, the former seems like a natural progression for the original sketch concept of Flamon that was revealed a while ago. Also being based on Ifrit it's a nice touch. According to Wikipedia, Ifrit is considered a type of genius endowed with great power and able to perform both benign and malignant actions in Arab mythology, so this kind of duality between good and evil is interesting coming from the Digimon protagonist of the anime. Now I ship Agnimon & Shutumon so much for some reason. I really hope we get this kind of background notes for the rest of Frontier's main cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmon View Post
    Oh, wow, the second one is magnificent! And it kind of looks like the lost link/evolution between Agnimon and KaizerGreymon.
    I wish they'd show us more like these. The creature designs (with the exception of the terrible petaldramon, neemon and bokomon) were the highlight of the 4th season for me (and the only good thing about it, actually).
    I agree Frontier has the best designs in every Digimon anime by far. But hey, it's not the only thing in which this season outstands from the others at all. It also has the best world-building compared to any other generation, and why lying, also the most consistent depiction of the Digital World so far. The rest I guess it's subjective, but to me it's simply the best one overall only surpassed by the XW manga.

It's really interesting to see how Agnimon's design advanced and became less mechanical and stoney and more heroic. It's especially interesting when comparing it to the early design of Flamon:

Image Thumbnail Image Thumbnail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast