With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Digivice Tri

3D Printed Digivice Tri

Just thought I would share this for those interested.
    Model is https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2695824 and was printed via the Treatstock app for $15.
    The colors I used are Turquoise for the body, Transparent Green for the screen and Blue for the buttons.

It's not a perfect model, there's the extra line in the corners for instance. Might be a bit big "3.25 x 2.75" so I would ask to scale it down 10-20% if I had it printed again.
    "3x2.5x1" I was using my "ruler" wrong, still feels a bit large.
    Still, pretty cool and not a bad price.
    The only thing I have done to it is take a marker to the Screen area, everything just friction fits except the two body halves, holding it together with double sided tape right now.
    https://imgur.com/a/Z7v1ta2 Click the album for more images.

Last edited by GK45; 02-20-2019 at 04:37 PM.

It looks pretty good to be honest.
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

I come from the net Da_Duke2000's Avatar
    Looks great! I might recommend a peg/hole system for the two halves to avoid having to line anything up.
    ChinookCrafts @ Etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chinookcrafts

Digimon Tags, Legend of Zelda Rupees, Pokemon Evolution Stones, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFBR View Post
    It looks pretty good to be honest.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it for a first experience with 3D printing.
    Makes me want one for myself all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Duke2000 View Post
    Looks great! I might recommend a peg/hole system for the two halves to avoid having to line anything up.
    I didn't make the model but they did include something similar.
    There are 3 square holes on each half, top bottom and right side. I cut up a Qtip stick to use as pegs for now and it works fine.
    Though something thicker and or square would work better as they leave a bit of wiggle room.

Honestly,if you cleaned up the seam and found something that fit nice and snug in those holes, you could friction fit the body as well.
    It's a pretty well designed model aside from the few inaccuracies.

I come from the net
    That is pretty cool. Great work. Might could be done better with some work but hey, still way better then you might could do with other things.

I come from the net Da_Duke2000's Avatar
    Oh, what I meant was why not have the hole on one side, and a peg on the other. Have it lock itself into place. Bypass the q-tips entirely.
    ChinookCrafts @ Etsy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chinookcrafts

Digimon Tags, Legend of Zelda Rupees, Pokemon Evolution Stones, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Neo View Post
    That is pretty cool. Great work. Might could be done better with some work but hey, still way better then you might could do with other things.
    I didn't do anything but yeah it still needs some work.
    3D prints need, at the least, a coat of filler primer and some sanding.
    Though some people use, I think acetone vapors to melt ABS type filament, smoothing the surface. I had this printed in PLA because it is supposed to be easier to work with.

I plan on finishing it once spring hits, it's just too cold to do any painting outside right now, which is why I had it printed in colors.
    That said, the pictures really pick out the imperfections and just sitting on a shelf you probably wouldn't notice any but the larger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Duke2000 View Post
    Oh, what I meant was why not have the hole on one side, and a peg on the other. Have it lock itself into place. Bypass the q-tips entirely.
    The interior sides you might notice are much smoother, even glossy and that's because it is the side that is in contact with the print bed.
    Printing it it this way provides a solid base for the print and a level contact point when connecting the two halves.
    Now, you could work around that by printing it with the outer back on the print surface.
    But then you would have to smooth down the surface of the inside when putting it together.
    Would also likely need support material because of the raised circle, which would be more clean up of the back.
    Long story short, it's just easier to do it like this as far as I can tell.

You can find plastic rods/bars meant for modeling for a few $, like Plaplate which is probably what they had in mind.
    You would glue that into one side and then slot it into the other. The Qtips are just my makeshift test as I don't have any on hand, though I do have some sprue laying around I could use.
    They could have added bars to be printed, don't know why they didn't honestly.

EDIT: I really should stress, I didn't do any of this. I didn't design or make the model, I didn't edit it or upload it and I didn't print it myself.
    I just found the model, payed someone to print it then slid everything together.
    This is my first time with 3D printing so everything I know is 3rd hand at best and these are just my best guesses as to why certain choices were made.
    Last edited by GK45; 02-20-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Wow that's a pretty good print! I may have to print one for myself.

@GK45 I have my own printer and I can tell you that your guesses are pretty much accurate. If I had designed this I would have made it one piece and then printed it with support material, but in general 3D modelers prefer not using support material for the reason you said. But I don't really mind support material as long as it isn't excessive so I would have made it one piece to make sure the two halves would line up correctly.
    We're counting on you, Chosen Children

Quote Originally Posted by CoDL View Post
    Wow that's a pretty good print! I may have to print one for myself.

@GK45 I have my own printer and I can tell you that your guesses are pretty much accurate. If I had designed this I would have made it one piece and then printed it with support material, but in general 3D modelers prefer not using support material for the reason you said. But I don't really mind support material as long as it isn't excessive so I would have made it one piece to make sure the two halves would line up correctly.
    I think the model was originally one piece and then this person cut it up so that pieces could be printed separately.
    I rather like it because it makes finishing and painting easier. Also makes it presentable if you can't finish it.

I grabbed an old sprue from a model kit, crushed the ends a bit and now the Digivice holds together all by itself.
    Everything seems to line up but I know that some materials are more prone to warping so it could be an issue.

As far as printing it goes, you might notice I have two bodies and one set of details.
    That seems to be because they had trouble with the lower layer thickness , note the minor layer separation.
    The 2nd body is a higher layer thickness and doesn't have that problem.
    I still used the smother print because, well the ring is smother. Once I get around to finishing, I can just use some filler anyway.
    I don't know if the material, the printer or the model is to blame so I thought I would mention it if you are going to print it.

I mean definitely in the minority with my opinion here. It's just my personal preference to avoid seams rather than support material. Minimizing supports is reasonable, but there are some designers who try to avoid support material at all costs. There's definitely a trade-off and a point where one becomes better than the other and painting a print definitely pushes it towards seams. I leave most of my prints unpainted so that's probably why.

I'll keep the later separation in mind if I decide to print it. It's probably the printer's fault or maybe a change in the room temperature while printing. PLA is a lot less susceptible to that than most other plastics but it can still happen.
    We're counting on you, Chosen Children

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast