Time for a UK breakdown!

In late 2016 the UK got a DVD box for Digimon Season 1 from Manga UK. This was after a number of false starts over the years for those in the UK. New DVD releases of Digimon in the UK got a 'Volume 1' and never continued a number of times.)

But that finally ended with this release, and while it isn't new, we now have scans of the various physical bits that came with it.

I did some editing on these... and no scanning, because I didn't get the UK release (gotta decide where that money needs to go.) Thanks to forum member Kai, we have these images because he scanned them on his own and shared them to make sure the UK release could get featured, the same way we try and do for media whenever possible. So big thanks to Kai for putting in the time and effort.

Most of what I did here was reorienting, cropping, and some editing. The scanner used was more meant for scanning documents and further editing likely would have made the final images look worse.

The front cover of the slipcover (at the top of the article) is based on the US release of Season 1, but with a few changes. Various iconography has been changed, characters have been moved around, and most notably, Kari and Gatomon have been added.

The back of the slipcover gets it's point across well

The back has a description of the show, some screencaps, plus uses the keyart with Tai, Greymon, and Garurumon as a centerpiece.

The back also has extras listed, along with various technical specs.

The spine of the slipcover has an image of Tai with an aqua background at the top, the Digimon logo on a yellow angled stripe, with more blue at the bottom (this time feeling a bit more matching to the cover (with Agumon on it. It's not fancy, but it would be recognizeable on a shelf.

Inside the slipcover are two standard size DVD cases, each with their own insert.

The first is somewhat reminiscent of the slipcover, especially on the back. The front uses key art of Tai and Agumon, while the spin uses a different design altogether.

The reverse side is a height chart of the kids and their Digimon. Interestingly, the names given for the kids are their Japanese names, as given in episode 1 of the English version. Kari and Gatomon are not included in this.

The second swaps in new art of Tai on the front, along with Matt, Garurumon, and Greymon. The same shot of Greymon is on the spine, along with another image of Tai. The back swaps the screenshots, and goes back to the key art from the slipcover.

The reverse side of this is the very familiar Season 1 key image of the kids and the Digimon on a rock outcropping.

As for the look of the discs...

The discs themselves use an interesting design. The series logo is towards the bottom, and a bit higher than a third from the bottom is a split point, with a striped orange below, and a screenshot above. the screenshot has had it's color tweaked to a monochrome, but also has a striped effect. You get blue, red, green, and then a purpley pink, and then it repeats.

At first I thought the striping was an issue with the scan, but it doesn't seem to show up on the logo or the content rating.

The release also includes a few physical extras.

Kei also took a photo of the cases open. Each holds two discs on each side of the case, while the case itself if see-thru so you can ser the reverse side.

And a few menu shots.

We aren't doing full screenshots for this, as it's a bit of an older release and we aren't judging video quality, etc., but it's a relatively pleasant menu. It's centerpiece is a digivice with the buttons used as the actual menu buttons.

The episode menu is just a basic block list showing the episode number, title, and a screenshot.

I can't go over the on disk content in detail since I don't have it, but I can go over the few things I do know.

It's 4x3 PAL video, with the audio listed as English Dolby 2.0, which is rather standard for UK DVDs and what is expected.

It's a pretty standard release that came out a few years ago, but after years of waiting, a standard release won't get to many complaints from fans in the UK. While a few years old at this point, it looks like a decent release.

Big thanks again to Kai for the scans, which can be found in our gallery.

If you have any questions about the release feel free to ask, we have quite a few members from the UK and I'm sure they'd be willing to answer questions if there is additional information you want to know about the release.

Lots of Digimon stuff is coming out soon and supporting us via our Patreon or donations would be greatly appreciated so that we can do more breakdowns and improve the site. Feel free to join us in the Discord if you want to chat about the Digimon.

Amazon UK pages to order (not affiliate links)
Digimon Season 1 DVD Collection (UK)

Those in the USA will of course want to get the equivalent American release (Affiliate links)
Digimon Season 1 DVD Collection (US)

Images are hosted on our gallery and embedded on the forum, so let us know if anything is acting up.