With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Gallery | Podcast | IRC Chat | File Island | Digital Starlight | Card Terminal | DMA | Digipedia
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toshiko Fujita Has Passed, Updated w/ Industry Messages/Memories

Thanks for translating those tribute messages, shin and onkei. It's heartwarming to read how highly her colleagues thought of her.

I've been reading up on her career these past few days and was surprised to learn that she'd been professionally acting since before TV anime even existed. Her voice acting work began in the mid-1960s and even included roles on the original Astro Boy show. We don't have very many actors left from those earliest years still active today. What an amazing body of work.

To keep this post on-topic with Digimon, I wonder what this means for Adventure-related material going forward. I mean, obviously, they're using the tri. actors for the grown-up characters, but I can't imagine they'll do anything in the near future to revisit the cast in their younger incarnations. Toshiko Fujita (Taichi) and Yūko Mizutani (Sora) have passed away, while Hiroko Konishi (Takeru) has long been retired. Xros Wars and the recent drama CDs have taught us that they're not going to recast the characters unless they absolutely have to (like the PSP game). I suppose they can keep doing new projects with just Yamato, Kōshirō, Mimi, Jō, and Hikari, but it's going to be awfully lonely. As melodramatic as it sounds, I wonder if we'll ever get to hear Yūto Kazama, Umi Tenjin, Ai Maeda, Masami Kikuchi, and Kae Araki in these roles ever again.

My hope is that the upcoming movie will have some sort of flashback sequence involving the younger cast where they can bring the surviving actors back and use archival audio for those who have left us. It would be a sweet tribute and a nice torch-passing from the original actors to the new cast.
    Last edited by MagicBox; 01-01-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    I mean, obviously, they're using the tri. actors for the grown-up characters, but I can't imagine they'll do anything in the near future to revisit the cast in their younger incarnations. Toshiko Fujita (Taichi) and Yūko Mizutani (Sora) have passed away, while Hiroko Konishi (Takeru) has long been retired. Xros Wars and the recent drama CDs have taught us that they're not going to recast the characters unless they absolutely have to (like the PSP game). I suppose they can keep doing new projects with just Yamato, Kōshirō, Mimi, Jō, and Hikari, but it's going to be awfully lonely. As melodramatic as it sounds, I wonder if we'll ever get to hear Yūto Kazama, Umi Tenjin, Ai Maeda, Masami Kikuchi, and Kae Araki in these roles ever again.
    Existing audio of Fujita and Mizutani has been used when needed (such as the upcoming CSA 1999), while Konishi has long since been replaced.

Megumi Han (Airu in Hunters and Nokia in CS) has been young Takeru for many years at this point, and has been used reasonably consistently when they've needed him to show up (the PSP game and the CSA 1999.)

At this point Takeru is long past being a concern, even if they have occasionally skipped using him when he might otherwise appear. He arguably 'should' have appeared in the 15th audio drama, but they may have written him out to make it so that Taichi wasn't the only kid missing (it's also likely they may have wanted his 02 actor for the drama based on how old Takeru would have been in it, and it appears Yamamoto may have retired from voice acting, as he hasn't done anything in quite awhile. With tri. coming out so soon after the drama they may not have been interested in casting a 'different' new older Takeru actor.)

Taichi was handwaved as not being around in the 15th audio drama (likely Fujita already being ill during the recording period or otherwise not available), and as mentioned for the CSA they are using pre-existing recordings.

Realistically if they need young Taichi or Sora they could:
    Recast and find people who have similiar range.
    Simply use the tri. actors, and have interview content explaining that they wanted to respect the prior work, and they felt rather than trying to voice match, simply use actors who had also played those characters.
    Plot around to use dialogue recorded for the PSP game, which had gobs of crisp and clean modern dialogue recorded for it. (This option obviously only exists if usage of them is limited.)
    Help With the Will out out, click the Donate button and subscribe/donate so we can improve the site.

Oh, I totally get that they've got plenty of options if they want to recast, and I even mentioned the PSP game in my post as an example of them having to replace actors as needed. I wasn't really talking about whether they could recast, but rather whether or not they'll think it's even worth the trouble (at least for now). As mentioned, yeah, they've got Megumi Han on board if they ever need to record for Takeru, and it's safe to assume they'll get "just in case" actors for Taichi and Sora as well. But as we've seen from projects like the recent drama CDs, they usually prefer to simply exclude the character if they can, whether it's out of respect for the original actor or because recasting for certain projects isn't worth the time and money. Heck, Chiaki J. Konaka even mentioned that he wrote Digimon Tamers 2018 with respect for the original actors in mind, since he wanted to keep Takato young for Makoto Tsumura's sake and he didn't want to feature Renamon after Yuka Imai's retirement.

All I was saying was that I can totally see them continuing to focus on the aged-up versions of the cast so that they don't immediately have to commit to a decision for handling the younger versions of the cast. And that, given the choice between A.) doing new projects with the Adventure kids, with Taichi and Sora recast, B.) doing new projects with the Adventure kids, but only including characters whose original actors are still active, or C.) not doing new projects with the Adventure kids at all, my money's on option C for the near future.

Wow, I wasn't aware Taisuke Yamamoto had more-or-less retired, though.
    Last edited by MagicBox; 01-01-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Completely digital
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    Oh, I totally get that they've got plenty of options if they want to recast, and I even mentioned the PSP game in my post as an example of them having to replace actors as needed. I wasn't really talking about whether they could recast, but rather whether or not they'll think it's even worth the trouble (at least for now). As mentioned, yeah, they've got Megumi Han on board if they ever need to record for Takeru, and it's safe to assume they'll get "just in case" actors for Taichi and Sora as well. But as we've seen from projects like the recent drama CDs, they usually prefer to simply exclude the character if they can, whether it's out of respect for the original actor or because recasting for certain projects isn't worth the time and money. Heck, Chiaki J. Konaka even mentioned that he wrote Digimon Tamers 2018 with respect for the original actors in mind, since he wanted to keep Takato young for Makoto Tsumura's sake and he didn't want to feature Renamon after Yuka Imai's retirement.

All I was saying was that I can totally see them continuing to focus on the aged-up versions of the cast so that they don't immediately have to commit to a decision for handling the younger versions of the cast. And that, given the choice between A.) doing new projects with the Adventure kids, with Taichi and Sora recast, B.) doing new projects with the Adventure kids, but only including characters whose original actors are still active, or C.) not doing new projects with the Adventure kids at all, my money's on option C for the near future.

Wow, I wasn't aware Taisuke Yamamoto had more-or-less retired, though.
    I guess that would depend of the project. If it's a short CD drama, they probably won't look for new cast.

However, if it's a really profitable project, Toei would probably recast.

For example: If Konaka could have continued with a sequel of Tamer, they would need to look a new voice actor for Takato adult and recast Renamon at some point.
    Last edited by Kon; 01-02-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123